Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135457 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
a smart person's time is better spent doing other crap than pounding nails and doing car stuff.  if your family members were so smart they would be able to pay people to do all that crap for them and not waste their own time.

Have to get pretty drastic to apply this across the board.  I mean, like quit your job and start one up that allows you to actually benefit from working at your job on the weekends rather than your house.  In my biz, I need several other people to be available and at work for me to be productive at work.  Would be pretty useless for me to do my job on the weekends.

Smart people work very hard during the week being smart and making money.  On the weekend they want to party.

Certainly don't need to be doing something dumb people can be paid to do.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
a smart person's time is better spent doing other crap than pounding nails and doing car stuff.  if your family members were so smart they would be able to pay people to do all that crap for them and not waste their own time.

Have to get pretty drastic to apply this across the board.  I mean, like quit your job and start one up that allows you to actually benefit from working at your job on the weekends rather than your house.  In my biz, I need several other people to be available and at work for me to be productive at work.  Would be pretty useless for me to do my job on the weekends.

Smart people work very hard during the week being smart and making money.  On the weekend they want to party.

I don't disagree, but some of us can't help ourselves.  I enjoy it to a certain extent.  It's like Legos for adults. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »

I don't disagree, but some of us can't help ourselves.  I enjoy it to a certain extent.  It's like Legos for adults.

Legos are entertaining for 15 minutes max.  Then you just have a huge mess.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
I "DIY" because I'd rather not pay someone to do a crappier job than I can do myself.  Last time I took my car in for maintenance I had my timing belt replaced.  When I picked up the car it sounded like a lawnmower and the engine would die after a minute.  Went back inside and they said they didn't have time to fix it.  Next day when I picked it up they said they had forgotten to set the timing when they replaced the belt. . . Now, if I need something done to my car I just "work from home" and fix it during the day.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »
I "DIY" because I'd rather not pay someone to do a crappier job than I can do myself.  Last time I took my car in for maintenance I had my timing belt replaced.  When I picked up the car it sounded like a lawnmower and the engine would die after a minute.  Went back inside and they said they didn't have time to fix it.  Next day when I picked it up they said they had forgotten to set the timing when they replaced the belt. . . Now, if I need something done to my car I just "work from home" and fix it during the day.
this

i also enjoy the accomplishment of doing stuff too.

and LOL at people who think this stuff doesn't take smarts or skills.  Wake up early on a Sunday morning and watch wood working/turning shows.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
this

i also enjoy the accomplishment of doing stuff too.

and LOL at people who think this stuff doesn't take smarts or skills.  Wake up early on a Sunday morning and watch wood working/turning shows.
It does not take smarts.  The dumbest of the dumb people can do it.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:46 PM »
i have completely remodeled 3 homes, including the one i'm living in now.

i have been around that sort of thing since i was young though, so i guess it was a "born with it" thing.

Quit buying crappy houses?

1 was my parents house, one was a totally new cabin at my dads hunting property, and this house I bought for 30k cash and its now appraised at 78k with around only 6k in materials and all labor done myself.  Its small, but pretty perfect for a single male, and all profit doing something that kind of relaxes me on the weekend.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
My brother is a good example of learning. He just started knocking out walls and doing stuff himself in his first house a few years ago. When he moved into his current house he remodeled the whole thing. His inspiration was basically that he noticed how stupid most of the labor he was hiring was. He just figured it couldn't be that hard. His place looks great.

But he's also annoyingly meticulous/patient. He's like a literate version of Orr.

Yeah, very little of it is hard to understand.  However, some of it is simply being practiced enough to execute it well.

People can do some wicked stuff with drywall that I'm just not "artistic" enough to do.

However, I do want to buy a miter saw and go nuts with crown molding in my kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.

I'm comfortable doing about anything handy man related, but I hate mudding and taping.

i'm pretty dece at drywall. mostly the mudding/taping/sanding.. i hate hanging it. especially ceilings.

I'm the exact opposite. It appears you and I would make a good team j-dub.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
My brother is a good example of learning. He just started knocking out walls and doing stuff himself in his first house a few years ago. When he moved into his current house he remodeled the whole thing. His inspiration was basically that he noticed how stupid most of the labor he was hiring was. He just figured it couldn't be that hard. His place looks great.

But he's also annoyingly meticulous/patient. He's like a literate version of Orr.

Yeah, very little of it is hard to understand.  However, some of it is simply being practiced enough to execute it well.

People can do some wicked stuff with drywall that I'm just not "artistic" enough to do.

However, I do want to buy a miter saw and go nuts with crown molding in my kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.

I'm comfortable doing about anything handy man related, but I hate mudding and taping.

i'm pretty dece at drywall. mostly the mudding/taping/sanding.. i hate hanging it. especially ceilings.

I'm the exact opposite. It appears you and I would make a good team j-dub.

oh man. would we ever!
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »

No, smart people work very smart and usually have a bunch of free time on their hands if they're doing it right.  You can only party so much.  I find DIY crap incredibly cathartic.  It's more of a hobby than anything and it's not about how much "smarts" it takes.  It feels good to finish a project and stand back and look at what you've made/done.

If you don't get any enjoyment out of it, then yes, you should just hire someone to do it and stop being poor. This isn't about time/money/intelligence.  It's about personal preference, dumbasses.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
98 different posters before you said something to the effect of "my cousin saw what kind of rough ridin' idiot hillbillys were doing this stuff and realized they could do it better because they are basically the smartest person on earth"

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
handyman-ness
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »

My dad gave him this exact speech. "Your time is worth twice the cost of labor you're paying. You're better off spending those hours doing something productive and paying to have it done."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »

No, smart people work very smart and usually have a bunch of free time on their hands if they're doing it right.  You can only party so much.  I find DIY crap incredibly cathartic.  It's more of a hobby than anything and it's not about how much "smarts" it takes.  It feels good to finish a project and stand back and look at what you've made/done.

If you don't get any enjoyment out of it, then yes, you should just hire someone to do it and stop being poor. This isn't about time/money/intelligence.  It's about personal preference, dumbasses.

Well, I guess.  I stand back and enjoy the view of the ocean at the fancy beach I just used my money to travel to and it feels good to look at too.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Construction may not take a wealth of intelligence. It does require smarts to be able to do stuff across the board. Of course you can break projects into small enough pieces that any idiot can do the work, much like an assembly line. In order to be able to do a complete project, like building a house from scratch, require intelligence. I worked construction for four years and it was the  most satisfying work I have ever done in my entire life. Granted, I became tired of the vast amounts of idiots that you will find on the job site, and that is why I am going back to school.

I do take pride in knowing that the rest of my life and I "man" it up and get crap down in a handyman sense. I do laugh at men that cannot do these things. Much like I laugh at men that do not enjoy sports. Everyone likes to spin things in a manner that reflects positively on themselves.

As far as knocking the work, like I said earlier in this thread, I went from being an 8 dollar an hour unskilled working to 3 years later making 48k a year and having the company pay my rent as well. It is a field that is easy to knock, but also one that you can easily move up in because you are not an idiot. Saying the CEO and his secretary are equals is like saying all who do construction are equals.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
Yeah, the diff btwn an electrician and a laborer is night and day.

As for the large picture of construction, there is quite a lot of planning that is involved in a lot of it.  Requires a pretty detail oriented person who is good at planning ahead and understanding what amounts to a very large set of standing domino's.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
Construction may not take a wealth of intelligence. It does require smarts to be able to do stuff across the board. Of course you can break projects into small enough pieces that any idiot can do the work, much like an assembly line. In order to be able to do a complete project, like building a house from scratch, require intelligence. I worked construction for four years and it was the  most satisfying work I have ever done in my entire life. Granted, I became tired of the vast amounts of idiots that you will find on the job site, and that is why I am going back to school.

I do take pride in knowing that the rest of my life and I "man" it up and get crap down in a handyman sense. I do laugh at men that cannot do these things. Much like I laugh at men that do not enjoy sports. Everyone likes to spin things in a manner that reflects positively on themselves.

As far as knocking the work, like I said earlier in this thread, I went from being an 8 dollar an hour unskilled working to 3 years later making 48k a year and having the company pay my rent as well. It is a field that is easy to knock, but also one that you can easily move up in because you are not an idiot. Saying the CEO and his secretary are equals is like saying all who do construction are equals.

+1.

To add, any idiot CAN do the work, but it does take some skill and sometimes more of an artistic sense to do things right.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
I do take pride in knowing that the rest of my life and I "man" it up and get crap down in a handyman sense. I do laugh at men that cannot do these things. Much like I laugh at men that do not enjoy sports.

I hate people like you. No offense.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
I do take pride in knowing that the rest of my life and I "man" it up and get crap down in a handyman sense. I do laugh at men that cannot do these things. Much like I laugh at men that do not enjoy sports.

I hate people like you. No offense.

Everyone likes to spin things in a manner that reflects positively on themselves.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
My youngest bro bought a brand new house 2 years ago.  To have the builder finish the basement would have added another 23k to the price of the house.  We did the basement,  sprinkler system, sodded the yard, and put up a privacy fence for about that price.  Seems like a decent use of time for him, especially considering we did the work during hours which none of would have been at work anyway.  Oh, and the satisfaction thing is worth so much.  :dunno:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
This thread is about being a handyman.  Yes, you can learn to be a handyman.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
This thread is about being a handyman.  Yes, you can learn to be a handyman.

Yes.  Pretty quickly.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »
I laugh at men that do not enjoy sports.

What on earth do you find humorous about men who don't enjoy sports?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
do you guys remember the show with the guy and his family and he had his own handyman show?  complete rough ridin' idiot and he had his own show about being handy.  made gorilla noises. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »
the top of his neighbors head always gave him advice because he was such a dumbass