Author Topic: student section  (Read 19460 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: student section
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
After reading this thread, I feel less bad for mushing a dumbass student last night. A part of me was like "Fanning, you're 28, in the student section, are you really doing this?" However, after I thought about it, it was warranted and I'm happy.

What would this thread have to do with mushing a student that was actually at the game? TIA.
Nothing. But 4 pages later with grown men bitching about students filling the seats during test week, I feel less Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for my actions, cause they're both petty. Not all of them are die hard like us. They need to find a better way to give away the tickets.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:47:26 AM by fanningksu »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
After reading this thread, I feel less bad for mushing a dumbass student last night. A part of me was like "Fanning, you're 28, in the student section, are you really doing this?" However, after I thought about it, it was warranted and I'm happy.

What would this thread have to do with mushing a student that was actually at the game? TIA.
Nothing. But 4 pages later with grown men bitching about students filling the seats during test week, I feel less Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for my actions. Not all of them are die hard like us. They need to find a better way to give away the tickets.

Fair enough, I agree that this thread is a little silly.

I think the current promotion selling tickets for next year's OOC and mid-week league games in section 24-25 (now at $129) is a good step, though last night would've been excluded.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
when the eff did goEMAW.com redirect my browser to phog.net? SAUL, FIX THIS! :shakesfist:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »
I think student attendance is a valid concern and I'm not sure why people are quick to dismiss it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »
I think student attendance is a valid concern and I'm not sure why people are quick to dismiss it.

Yeah! Let's start by calling students "pathetic"!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
How do you plan to fix it, dlew?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Maybe the students should have priority sections, where people with the best attendance from past games get seats in the best sections the next year. Also, students leaving before halftime should have to scan their ticket again before leaving so they don't get credit for that game.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
I don't care one way or another what a student does with their time . . . it's just time to reduce the size of the student section and to start selling those tickets to the general population. 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
Well,  it's abundantly clear that students don't like pizza.

What do students like at a basketball game these days?  I like watching a top 15 team compete for a league title, but that's obviously not for everybody. 

What's a 19 year like these days?  Cookies?  Organized dance routines in the student seating areas?  More booing? 
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Hmmmm...to get students to the game we need to add some huge breasts in there somehow.  Students love boobs and we have to figure out a way to incorporate that into the OOD.  Pizza should have done it, but it clearly isn't enough.  I think the next step (and obvious step) is to get some hoots up in the OOD (Octogon of Doom could = Octogon of Boobs).

Phase 1: Boobs
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit.
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
I don't care one way or another what a student does with their time . . . it's just time to reduce the size of the student section and to start selling those tickets to the general population. 

the general population wouldn't have been there last night either

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
it's odd that a lot of you fail to realize the real solution to an empty venue is to not hire a coach that people hate, nor want to see. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
Look, I guess what I'm saying is that the students deserve another chance before we say, "you're wrong and you're gone" and we kick them all to the curb. 

Let's put on our thinking caps.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »

Well, to those that just watch the games on TV, it probably doesn't seem like much of a concern. 

If you attend in-person, it's pretty concerning.  I mean, the primary benefit of attending any live sporting event, as opposed to watching on TV, is experiencing the atmosphere - feeling the energy of the crowd, players, etc.  I don't care if it's the students, the alumni, the team - if any of these groups don't show up - the atmosphere and energy will be garbage. 

The students' absence is just much more noticeable because they are the most vocal and their seats are condensed GA.  If they don't show, the noise level drops off significantly and large swaths of seating are entirely baron; unlike the alumni that are scattered throughout the ood. 

I do think the Athletic Department, in general, could do much more to improve the in-game atmosphere to encourage attendance of younger people.  Our in-game presentation is pretty tired and uninspiring. 

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »

Well, they are who we thought they were, unless they're not, then they won't be.

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
it's odd that a lot of you fail to realize the real solution to an empty venue is to not hire a coach that people hate, nor want to see.

There is some truth in this statement (also more boobs please).
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
It really is said to see so many people that are fans of coaches rather than a school or team, and I've said the same thing about the "LHC Bill Snyder is bigger than the school" people for years.

'clams, you don't know for sure, and even if the people didn't show up, but the tickets were sold, it's more money in the pocket than you get out of student tickets.   

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
I would like to see a guy ride in at half court on a Harley and really smoke the place out.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Re: student section
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »

I think the general student population likes oscar Weber. That isn't why they aren't coming.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

Yeah, I think that's ridiculous.  The students who aren't going don't want to go.  I don't blame them for that. 

I blame some one else for not doing a good job of filling a 12k seat arena for a big monday game against a former coach.  There is no reason that last night shouldn't have been filled to the brim (or should i say "bram"  ;)). 

Like I said, this problem (and it is a problem) is either a marketing issue or an issue of seat allocation. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »

I do think the Athletic Department, in general, could do much more to improve the in-game atmosphere to encourage attendance of younger people.  Our in-game presentation is pretty tired and uninspiring.

I would like to see wifi and free shuttle buses from the residence halls/aggievillie, even if it is only for the students.  I sure it won't fill the 1000+ that were empty last night but it would help remove one of the biggest obstacles (paying for parking/walking in the cold) and maybe the wifi makes it more fun for the less hardcore fans (assuming they have the same problems with Verizon that I seem to have).

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Re: student section
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

I would like to see wifi and free shuttle buses from the residence halls/aggievillie, even if it is only for the students.  I sure it won't fill the 1000+ that were empty last night but it would help remove one of the biggest obstacles (paying for parking/walking in the cold) and maybe the wifi makes it more fun for the less hardcore fans (assuming they have the same problems with Verizon that I seem to have).

Parking is free for students

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
I don't know.  If it were up to me, we'd cut student seating by about 500 or so (for starters) and create a super cheap GA section behind the basket.  I don't know if this is feasible because I'm not a business guy.

But a first place conference team against a personality like Huggins should be an easy sell.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »

I think the general student population likes oscar Weber. That isn't why they aren't coming.

did they like frank more that made their decision to attend easier?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
I don't know.  If it were up to me, we'd cut student seating by about 500 or so (for starters) and create a super cheap GA section behind the basket.  I don't know if this is feasible because I'm not a business guy.

But a first place conference team against a personality like Huggins should be an easy sell.

Big Monday, Top 15, 1st place; those are plenty.

To be fair, our general student population probably could care less about Bob Huggins. They were in middle school or early high school when he was at K-State, and many probably don't even know he coached here.