Author Topic: Fall Practice and Panda X Thread  (Read 129029 times)

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Practice
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
Going back to the discussion of redshirting DD, I wouldn't at all be opposed to it EXCEPT I don't have a lot of faith in our LB's against teams with a good ground game.

Auburn, OU, Baylor. Our 3 toughest games. All teams that have hurt us on the ground. Having Clink in the fold now does a lot to strengthen the DL but as far as a guy that can run and chase people DD is that guy.

Arthur Brown did an absolutely amazing job of that when he was here. Even if DD is late to camp, his speed is a valuable commodity that could be the difference in taking our D from "good" to either "really good or great".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:57:32 PM by cas4ksu »

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Hadn't heard anything except for stuff on this board + I posted that 8 minutes after it was tweeted SORRY GUYS

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 11, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Going back to the discussion of redshirting DD, I wouldn't at all be opposed to it EXCEPT I don't have a lot of faith in our LB's against teams with a good ground game.

Auburn, OU, Baylor. Our 3 toughest games. All teams that have hurt us on the ground. Having Clink in the fold now does a lot to strengthen the OL but as far as a guy that can run and chase people DD is that guy.

Arthur Brown did an absolutely amazing job of that when he was here. Even if DD is late to camp, his speed is a valuable commodity that could be the difference in taking our D from "good" to either "really good or great".

This. Especially with Zims in the NFL now we need someone that can come up and make the tackles in the open field that he made. I think Moore and Davis might be able to but they don't have the speed to do this as well as Dvonta could.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

Auburn, OU, Baylor. Our 3 toughest games. All teams that have hurt us on the ground. Having Clink in the fold now does a lot to strengthen the OL but as far as a guy that can run and chase people DD is that guy.

This. Especially with Zims in the NFL now we need someone that can come up and make the tackles in the open field that he made. I think Moore and Davis might be able to but they don't have the speed to do this as well as Dvonta could.
evans has become very good at playing the run. but yeah i hope you guys are right

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
So, who else are we now waiting on to get their ass to Manhattan?
you on 8/30/14

Arrive there that Friday night for a fun filled weekend  :gocho:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
He is better than erroll clarke and its really not that close.
Did we ever hear what the Erroll deal was?

Erroll had the luxury of running free while D'vonta was double/triple teamed.  Thus Clarke put up insane numbers that weren't indicative of his true talent level.
I have seen garden play twice this past year. derricott is a very quick explosive player and i think we will all like him very much when he gets here. that being said erroll clarke was better (not sure if thats a product of playing beside derricott or not)
basically what i was getting at here. but i really did like the way erroll plays. they would have been fun to watch together next year

:thumbs:

My understanding is that perhaps Clarke didn't always take good angles (ie- intentionally tried to run around blocks) and when confronted blockers, didn't take on blockers/shed blocks very well.

All second hand info, so take that fwiw.
bears are fast...

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 11, 2014, 02:38:50 PM »
Never seemed like we really wanted Erroll

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:25 PM »

we didn't

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 11, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Hadn't heard anything except for stuff on this board + I posted that 8 minutes after it was tweeted SORRY GUYS

:garr:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Bill hasn't fast tracked JUCO guys nearly as much during v2.0, BUT we really haven't had many guys like Derricott and Clinkscales during that time either. Both of those guys will be plugged in as soon as they develop an acceptable understanding of their assignments. People like to talk about Dakorey Johnson and Chris Brown last year, but those guys aren't NFL caliber players. I'd bet my left nut that Clinkscales and Derricott make a pro roster at some point.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »

from what i heard, we didn't. i heard that his coaches were calling kstate and were all "uh we've got this guy that's great and want you to be the first to know about him so you can get in on him and everything" and then kstate never returned those calls or made contact with erroll until like ridiculously late in the process.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 11, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »

evans has become very good at playing the run. but yeah i hope you guys are right

This is true. Randall Evans has been really good for us.

I'd say you can make an argument for Evans being the most important player for our defense.

(it probably wouldn't be correct but the nickel back is extremely important)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 11, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

from what i heard, we didn't. i heard that his coaches were calling kstate and were all "uh we've got this guy that's great and want you to be the first to know about him so you can get in on him and everything" and then kstate never returned those calls or made contact with erroll until like ridiculously late in the process.
actually this is pretty close.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
shellshock says he's better than Arthur, panjan says he's no better than Truman, who to believe?

well, one has seen him play and the other hasn't, so...

I never said Truman was better.  I said he wouldn't start in front of Truman.

We all know Snyder well enough to know he won't replace proven Senior results with a guy that's never seen a D1 field.

He's also getting here three weeks before the first game.  They're going to redshirt him if he has one available.

If you honestly think that redshirting DD is an option, then you need to hang it up and sit out football season for the year. We'll put you through a v1.0 course and you can try again next year.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
shellshock says he's better than Arthur, panjan says he's no better than Truman, who to believe?

well, one has seen him play and the other hasn't, so...

I never said Truman was better.  I said he wouldn't start in front of Truman.

We all know Snyder well enough to know he won't replace proven Senior results with a guy that's never seen a D1 field.

He's also getting here three weeks before the first game.  They're going to redshirt him if he has one available.

If you honestly think that redshirting DD is an option, then you need to hang it up and sit out football season for the year. We'll put you through a v1.0 course and you can try again next year.

Okay.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
Bill hasn't fast tracked JUCO guys nearly as much during v2.0, BUT we really haven't had many guys like Derricott and Clinkscales during that time either. Both of those guys will be plugged in as soon as they develop an acceptable understanding of their assignments. People like to talk about Dakorey Johnson and Chris Brown last year, but those guys aren't NFL caliber players. I'd bet my left nut that Clinkscales and Derricott make a pro roster at some point.

Let's assume that Derricott puts on pads tomorrow and starts working with the linebackers.  He'll have 18 days before the first game to learn pretty much everything.  Maybe he plays this year, but to assume he will unseat a previous starter, who has played at a consistent level, who went to media days...

Well, okay.  I'll just forget everything I've ever learned and known about LHC Bill Snyder the past however many years.

He's put such an emphasis on experience the second go around.  If Derricott is as good as folks think he can be, I see Bill making him wait a year before unleashing him on the world.

Has Derricott even been working out?  Is the consensus that we'd rather unleash him onto the world halfway through a season where we will have entrenched starters and backups?

Take potential talent out of the equation. He just got here too late.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

Let's assume that Derricott puts on pads tomorrow and starts working with the linebackers.  He'll have 18 days before the first game to learn pretty much everything.  Maybe he plays this year, but to assume he will unseat a previous starter, who has played at a consistent level, who went to media days...

Well, okay.  I'll just forget everything I've ever learned and known about LHC Bill Snyder the past however many years.

He's put such an emphasis on experience the second go around.  If Derricott is as good as folks think he can be, I see Bill making him wait a year before unleashing him on the world.

Has Derricott even been working out?  Is the consensus that we'd rather unleash him onto the world halfway through a season where we will have entrenched starters and backups?

He's been working out.  No worries there. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
Honestly I have no idea which one of you is right.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
I agree with Pan that there's no middle ground between starting the opener and redshirting. Makes total sense.  :facepalm:

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
What's the fascination with starting?  Maybe he starts, maybe he doesn't.  We need depth.  The same two linebackers do not play every snap of the game.
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
What's the fascination with starting?  Maybe he starts, maybe he doesn't.  We need depth.  The same two linebackers do not play every snap of the game.
He'll get good time as the season goes on I'd guess. Might start vs Baylor for his speed.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
I agree with Pan that there's no middle ground between starting the opener and redshirting. Makes total sense.  :facepalm:

It depends on when the coaches feel he's ready to unseat a relatively entrenched two deep. He's way behind everyone else.

Maybe Bill is okay burning a year for 5-7 games.  But I doubt you see him before October, and by that time, we will be into Big 12 play.

If he plays and beasts out, awesome.  But I feel like Snyder is going to put him in the back pocket for next year because he's got the luxury of a redshirt year, while a guy like Clinkscales doesn't.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »

Well, okay.  I'll just forget everything I've ever learned and known about LHC LHC Bill Snyder the past however many years.

He has been working out. He has been studying the playbook. He will be a beast. He will absolutely not redshirt like you are claiming.

Did I ever say that he would start first game? No. Will he be the regular starter at some point this season? Absolutely. (I hope by the Auburn game if not Flood Aggie)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »

the way I see it, he'll actually have 37 days on campus, however many practices that equals, and possibly 50+ game snaps, before we need him to really contribute/possibly be a game changer. I don't think that is out of the question at all.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »

It depends on when the coaches feel he's ready to unseat a relatively entrenched two deep. He's way behind everyone else.

Maybe Bill is okay burning a year for 5-7 games.  But I doubt you see him before October, and by that time, we will be into Big 12 play.

If he plays and beasts out, awesome.  But I feel like Snyder is going to put him in the back pocket for next year because he's got the luxury of a redshirt year, while a guy like Clinkscales doesn't.
not only that but from all reports so far truman has made leaps and bounds this offseason and is a total stud. elijah lee has moved to wlb and has been a badass as well