Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 331032 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2075 on: November 06, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »
I own all of the stocks.  History says it should work out great.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
Does anyone put a meaningful amount of their retirement into individual stocks? The idea alone makes my palms sweat.

yes.  most of my money is in individual stocks (somewhere btwn 10-15% isn't).

How do you choose which ones?

I've always gravitated towards things I'm interested in or know something about.  I also like looking at the dogs of the dow.  They're company's we all know and but have gotten beaten up compared to the others.  They also pay a dividend which you can use to buy more shares or use elsewhere.  I have close to 25% in individual stocks but I think there are variables to how much each should own.  Age, dough, risk tolerance and how much time you have  watch and trade.  With my job I am able to pay more attention to my portfolio if need be.

go buy an absolute shitload of GE. you should be able to take a majority share for the price of an F150 at this point and there is no bigger dog.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 06, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
SD, I’ll give you $1k for gE instead, how about that?
:adios:

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 06, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »
Does anyone put a meaningful amount of their retirement into individual stocks? The idea alone makes my palms sweat.

I've always gravitated towards things I'm interested in or know something about.  I also like looking at the dogs of the dow.  They're company's we all know and but have gotten beaten up compared to the others.  They also pay a dividend which you can use to buy more shares or use elsewhere.  I have close to 25% in individual stocks but I think there are variables to how much each should own.  Age, dough, risk tolerance and how much time you have  watch and trade.  With my job I am able to pay more attention to my portfolio if need be.

go buy an absolute shitload of GE. you should be able to take a majority share for the price of an F150 at this point and there is no bigger dog.

Yeah, going to have to dollar cost average this dog for sure.  I think there is more pain here but have buys in the system.  I should have had some puts on this SOB.  I will buy F when it sinks below $5 btw.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »

You could create a copycat version of gE for $11.99

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 07, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

NO DEAL

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 12, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »

Yeah, going to have to dollar cost average this dog for sure.  I think there is more pain here but have buys in the system.  I should have had some puts on this SOB.  I will buy F when it sinks below $5 btw.

Broke old 10 year support levels today.  If it doesn't close strong then more pain but if it does it should be a buy signal.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 13, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »
I have about 10% of my retirement funds in Individual Stocks and about 10% in Industry Specific Funds. I don't plan on "beating" the market but it keeps me interested.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 13, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
That’s a good amount imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 15, 2018, 07:04:05 AM »
I picked up a little of this stock like a year in an attempt to buy low. Here's what it's done since.  :lol:

EGLTQ
EGALET CORP -97.87%

:lol:

Please click the below link to view an important document related to the EGALET CORPORATION bankruptcy case:

Notice of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
http://www.kccllc.net/egalet/info/8994

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: November 15, 2018, 07:06:31 AM »
sys, is EGLT a company you would like to have in your collection? Why or why not?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 15, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Is that different than EGLTQ or is the Q just to be more inclusive?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 15, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
sys, is EGLT a company you would like to have in your collection? Why or why not?

no, because i don't know anything about it and also some guy on a bulletin board i read says they're going bankrupt.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: December 29, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
Weed grower investing?  Legal in missouri now, no idea how to approach this being a good investment.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 29, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
They talk about some of the big names on CNBC sometimes. I think you’d have to go the private route for any MO specific investments.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 29, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
They talk about some of the big names on CNBC sometimes. I think you’d have to go the private route for any MO specific investments.

Yeah I have a potential private opportunity, I just have no idea to judge if it's a good investment....nor the risks to take into account...seems overall like a gold rush situation just want to hook to the right wagon.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »

Yeah I have a potential private opportunity, I just have no idea to judge if it's a good investment....nor the risks to take into account...seems overall like a gold rush situation just want to hook to the right wagon.

My companys parent company is in the BIG AG business and we share an office. I went into a conference room the other day and looked at the whiteboard, instead of price per bushel for whatever money losing grain is in flavor this week jotted all over the whiteboards it was a grow schedule/staff/warehouse/electricity costs/security etc....I asked around and it looks like they might be buying a weed company in Canada.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »
I'm about 90% sure I know the answer to this but I figured I would ask for some reassurances/advice from people on this great blog. (side note, this is not me)

Scenario: You have money in a 401k but will be going back to school in the summer for a couple of years full time to earn an advanced degree in a field that will roughly double your income. You will not be able to work or earn any money during this time.

1.While you are in school and not earning any money you should AT MINIMUM convert $12,000 per year from the 401k to a Roth IRA. Since the Standard Deduction for a single person is $12,000 you would not have to pay any taxes for the conversion and could withdraw that money tax free in retirement. Correct?

2. Lets assume you plan on paying for some of it with savings and part of it with student loans(no idea on the vig). If you need to convert more than $12,000 per year into a roth ira while you have no declared income is it worth it to use part of your savings or student loans to pay for the taxes (lets assume it would be in the 12% bracket and your student loans are like 7% or whatever the going rate is these days) instead of using those savings/loans to pay for school?

3. If the answer to #3 is to use your savings to cover any taxes on conversions in the 12% tax bracket then shouldn't you make sure to maximize your 401k  to the limit for the first part of this year before you go back to school?

Any other tips/recommendations for this specific scenario?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:58:35 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
Just looked at the KU grad level tax brackets and it looks like the first $9,526 in income is taxed at 0% so with the $12,000 deduction could you convert $21,526 from a 401k to a roth ira each year without paying any taxes?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 23, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
You'll still get hit with the early withdrawal penalty won't you?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 23, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
Just looked at the KU grad level tax brackets and it looks like the first $9,526 in income is taxed at 0% so with the $12,000 deduction could you convert $21,526 from a 401k to a roth ira each year without paying any taxes?

I think so, but you would have to not earn any other income and somehow manage to survive the whole year.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:07 AM »

Higher Education Expenses (IRA only)

Withdrawals from IRAs for qualified higher education expenses for you, your spouse, child, or grandchild are exempt from the early withdrawal penalty. The distribution can’t exceed the qualified higher education expenses incurred during the tax year. Qualified higher education expenses include tuition at a postsecondary school, room and board (if enrolled at least half-time), fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment or attendance.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 23, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
Yeah, I know about the exceptions, but a Roth Ira doesn't qualify, does it?

I suppose you can say you're using that money for higher education expenses and putting "different" money into the Roth.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 23, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »

Higher Education Expenses (IRA only)

Withdrawals from IRAs for qualified higher education expenses for you, your spouse, child, or grandchild are exempt from the early withdrawal penalty. The distribution can’t exceed the qualified higher education expenses incurred during the tax year. Qualified higher education expenses include tuition at a postsecondary school, room and board (if enrolled at least half-time), fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment or attendance.
You wouldn't be withdrawing from your IRA to pay for school. You would convert money from your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA while you have no income and thus not pay any taxes up to a certain amount.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 23, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »

I think so, but you would have to not earn any other income and somehow manage to survive the whole year.
That's where student loans/savings come in.