Author Topic: Dave Ramsey LIVE  (Read 38055 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Ramsey LIVE
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
  The other side says, "Hey, here's another way.  A way that has proven to work.  Now here's some facts."  No name-calling, just the facts, ma'am.

What facts have you provided? :ck:

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
  The other side says, "Hey, here's another way.  A way that has proven to work.  Now here's some facts."  No name-calling, just the facts, ma'am.

What? Can't you read?  Or are you waiting for the gubmint to provide you a summary?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »

What? Can't you read?  Or are you waiting for the gubmint to provide you a summary?

Your mutual fund return anecdote was a lie.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »

Yeah.  I would love to know what fund would avg 12%.  If it exists, PM please.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
unsupported rants? check!

off to the Birther Pit!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »

Even if you had the magical 12% fund, you would have to put in 1600/month (into a tax-free account) to get to $5.5 million in 30 years:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/savingscalc/savingscalc.html

According to this site, the average car payment is $378/month (it even looked like DS stole a line from this blog and just changed the numbers):

The average car payment is $378 over 63 months. I tend to work with people whose car payment is over $500 per month. Let’s say that you invested $378 every month, instead of making car payments from age 30 to age 65 (35 years). If you average a rate of return of 12 percent (which is doable), your money will grow to $2.4 million. Do you still want the car?

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2267.shtml

I mean, I don't have a car payment and hope to never have one again, but Sanchez is just pulling numbers out of his ass. I take more issue with the lies and stupidity than his stance against auto financing.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
only 2.4 million dollars???  pffft, that totally changes his point  :rolleyes:

Nice Catch!
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
Here's a list of the first 20 funds that popped up when I used my brokerage account's mutual fund screener that have returned over 12% since inception, there were lots more:

TWCGX   American Century Growth Inv
   ARTKX   Artisan International Value In...
   CHTTX   Aston/Optimum Mid Cap N
   BGRFX   Baron Growth Retail
   BURKX   Burnham Financial Services A
   CVTRX   Calamos Growth & Income A
   CTVAX   Catalyst Value A
   CHNAX   Clough China A
   CSRSX   Cohen & Steers Realty Shares
   SLMCX   Columbia Seligman Comms & Info...
   CBLFX   CornerCap Balanced
   DREGX   Driehaus Emerging Markets Grow...
   FBRVX   FBR Focus Investor
   FMIOX   FMI Focus
   GABAX   Gabelli Asset AAA
   GABSX   Gabelli Small Cap Growth AAA
   HIINX   Harbor International Inv
   HLEMX   Harding Loevner Emerging Marke...
   HFEAX   Henderson European Focus A
   ICENX   ICON Energy S

12% growth for small cap funds (aka growth funds) has been a pretty traditional "rule of thumb" in financial planning for quite awhile.  While 12% may seem like a pipe dream these last 3 years, prior to that, it was considered practical.  The Russell 2000 is a standard benchmark for this.  In the last 10 years its up about 75%.  I bet if you went back 40 it would average around 12% per year.  (this last paragraph is meant to be very much "no crap, everyone knows that", but after reading the last few comments I'm not sure it is)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
mythcat pwned again.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »
Here's a list of the first 20 funds that popped up when I used my brokerage account's mutual fund screener that have returned over 12% since inception, there were lots more:

TWCGX   American Century Growth Inv
   ARTKX   Artisan International Value In...
   CHTTX   Aston/Optimum Mid Cap N
   BGRFX   Baron Growth Retail
   BURKX   Burnham Financial Services A
   CVTRX   Calamos Growth & Income A
   CTVAX   Catalyst Value A
   CHNAX   Clough China A
   CSRSX   Cohen & Steers Realty Shares
   SLMCX   Columbia Seligman Comms & Info...
   CBLFX   CornerCap Balanced
   DREGX   Driehaus Emerging Markets Grow...
   FBRVX   FBR Focus Investor
   FMIOX   FMI Focus
   GABAX   Gabelli Asset AAA
   GABSX   Gabelli Small Cap Growth AAA
   HIINX   Harbor International Inv
   HLEMX   Harding Loevner Emerging Marke...
   HFEAX   Henderson European Focus A
   ICENX   ICON Energy S

12% growth for small cap funds (aka growth funds) has been a pretty traditional "rule of thumb" in financial planning for quite awhile.  While 12% may seem like a pipe dream these last 3 years, prior to that, it was considered practical.  The Russell 2000 is a standard benchmark for this.  In the last 10 years its up about 75%.  I bet if you went back 40 it would average around 12% per year.  (this last paragraph is meant to be very much "no crap, everyone knows that", but after reading the last few comments I'm not sure it is)

Hey, dumbass. None of those funds you listed generated a 12% return over 30 years when you include management fees. And even if they had, you wouldn't have known to pick them 30 years ago.

But hey, your precious Russell 2000 has brought in a whole 6.3% since 2000.

http://us.ishares.com/product_info/fund/overview/IWM.htm

:lol:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
Hey, MythCat

lol, I guess all those funds that return 12% or more are fictional then.   lol, at you changing the timeline to "since 2000".  lol at you not knowing the difference between an ETF and the Russell 2000 index.  how pathetic.

Sincerely,

The Real Sugar Dick

P.S.
I hope for your sake nobody read the last few dozen posts in this thread, your pal, SD

And even if they had, you wouldn't have known to pick them 30 years ago.
:facepalm:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
Offer has expired.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:03:07 PM by Jeffy »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
goys really shouldn't be allowed to have money.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »

Here's a list of funds that have made over 15% over the last 10 years.

http://screener.fidelity.com/ftgw/evaluator/mf/goto/search?&assetClass=All%20Asset%20Classes&fundPref=Open&fundPref=NTF&fundPref=NL&perf10yr=10tomax&er=minto1.00&rtng=ON&sd=ON&sharpe=ON&beta=ON&mgrTnr=ON&asset=ON&etr=ON&ad=ON&amt=ON

I wish you would have posted that 10 years ago.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Hey, MythCat

lol, I guess all those funds that return 12% or more are fictional then.   lol, at you changing the timeline to "since 2000".  lol at you not knowing the difference between an ETF and the Russell 2000 index.  how pathetic.

Sincerely,

The Real Sugar Dick

P.S.
I hope for your sake nobody read the last few dozen posts in this thread, your pal, SD

Over the last 30 years, it's returned 10.9%

http://financeandinvestments.blogspot.com/2011/01/1980-2010-stock-market-returns-for.html

congrats.  :lol:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
Couple of things...

Both of you are right.  There are funds with a 12%+  return.  I have a couple in my 401k.  However, you can never assume that rate of return will be valid for the long haul.  You also can't expect them to have that value when you'd like to pull them out.  And Mich is completely right about management fees.  Also, Ramsey's numbers don't take capital gains into account, taxes on dividends, etc.  It's a nice big, fat number that grabs your attention, but it's not the 'real' number.

Also, to put the stupid car issue to bed once and for all, if Dave Ramsey says that you can invest your entire car payment, can someone please explain to me how people are supposed to buy cars?  Are we all supposed to ride the bus or bike to work?  It doesn't matter if you pay for it all in cash up front, or if you pay for it in 48 payments, the only difference is what you pay in interest.  And a lot of times, if you have good credit and get a good promotional deal, you're talking about $2000 or less during the life of the loan.  Spread out over 48 payments, you're looking at a whopping $41 dollars a month that you could be investing.  That isn't going to amount to millions over 30-40 years.

This is NOT about some political leaning.  This is about Ramsey's extremist views about debt avoidance, and how they're illogical, sometimes factually inaccurate, and how he uses religion to give validity to opinions that are potentially preventing people from actually using debt to obtain financial security.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
goys really shouldn't be allowed to have money.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
 The other side says, "Hey, here's another way.  A way that has proven to work.  Now here's some facts."  No name-calling, just the facts, ma'am.

What? Can't you read?  Or are you waiting for the gubmint to provide you a summary?

Yeah.  I would love to know what fund would avg 12%.  If it exists, PM please.

http://screener.fidelity.com/ftgw/evaluator/mf/goto/search?&assetClass=All%20Asset%20Classes&fundPref=Open&fundPref=NTF&fundPref=NL&perf10yr=10tomax&er=minto1.00&rtng=ON&sd=ON&sharpe=ON&beta=ON&mgrTnr=ON&asset=ON&etr=ON&ad=ON&amt=ON

But hey, that's 15 out of a possible 271 funds. That's easy. I'm sure the odds get even better when you go beyond 10 years.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
Hey, MythCat

lol, I guess all those funds that return 12% or more are fictional then.   lol, at you changing the timeline to "since 2000".  lol at you not knowing the difference between an ETF and the Russell 2000 index.  how pathetic.

Sincerely,

The Real Sugar Dick

P.S.

Over the last 30 years, it's returned 10.9%

http://financeandinvestments.blogspot.com/2011/01/1980-2010-stock-market-returns-for.html

congrats.  :lol:

man that 12% rule of thumb is waaaaayyyyy off, especially considering the meltdown of the last 3 years.  No way that ever gets back to 12%, NO WAY

Dude, you were wrong and you're still wrong.  Just because you don't know dick about investing doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you'd probably benefit most from Dave Ramsey.  Give it up this little fight, you're flailing and you look like an idiot.  

FYI -  management fees in an index fund will run you about .3% (see Vanguard).  In a normal managed fund 0.5-2%.  Not really destroying those returns, espcially for the the managed funds that beat their benchmark on a regular basis (Peter Lynch did it for like 15 years in a row).   I can't believe I'm having to explain this . . .  :facepalm:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Offer has expired.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:03:28 PM by Jeffy »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
man that 12% rule of thumb is waaaaayyyyy off, especially considering the meltdown of the last 3 years.  No way that ever gets back to 12%, NO WAY

there will always be downturns. And dropping from 12% to 11% and using a real car payment drops dirty sanchez's little fantasy nest egg from 5.5 million to barely $1 million. But hey, no big deal.

FYI -  management fees in an index fund will run you about .3% (see Vanguard).  In a normal managed fund 0.5-2%.  Not really destroying those returns, espcially for the the managed funds that beat their benchmark on a regular basis (Peter Lynch did it for like 15 years in a row).   I can't believe I'm having to explain this . . .  :facepalm:

I actually only invest in Vanguard funds. They're great, but expecting or assuming 12% returns over 30+ years, even with the minimal mgmt fees, is stupid.

And yeah, tons of Peter Lynches out there. AND THEY'RE SO EASY TO FIND!!!

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
 The other side says, "Hey, here's another way.  A way that has proven to work.  Now here's some facts."  No name-calling, just the facts, ma'am.

What? Can't you read?  Or are you waiting for the gubmint to provide you a summary?

Yeah.  I would love to know what fund would avg 12%.  If it exists, PM please.

But hey, that's 15 out of a possible 271 funds. That's easy. I'm sure the odds get even better when you go beyond 10 years.

I guess you were right.  There are no funds that earn 12%.  They don't exist.  Anyone that says otherwise is a liar.
:slowclap:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »

there will always be downturns. And dropping from 12% to 11% and using a real car payment drops dirty sanchez's little fantasy nest egg from 5.5 million to barely $1 million. But hey, no big deal.

I actually only invest in Vanguard funds. They're great, but expecting or assuming 12% returns over 30+ years, even with the minimal mgmt fees, is stupid.

In sum, you were wrong

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
maybe instead of arguing over all this stupid crap, we should start an investment thread

dunno, might be too dorky/elitist for goEMAW

:ck:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
man that 12% rule of thumb is waaaaayyyyy off, especially considering the meltdown of the last 3 years.  No way that ever gets back to 12%, NO WAY

FYI -  management fees in an index fund will run you about .3% (see Vanguard).  In a normal managed fund 0.5-2%.  Not really destroying those returns, espcially for the the managed funds that beat their benchmark on a regular basis (Peter Lynch did it for like 15 years in a row).   I can't believe I'm having to explain this . . .  :facepalm:

In sum, you were wrong

I wasn't wrong about anything. You set up a lot of strawmen that you couldn't even back up with real numbers. It was a nice attempt to divert attention from Dirty Sanchez making up bullshit and trying to pass it off as "fact", but it failed.