Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 442641 times)

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #2425 on: February 17, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »
Boulevard is a great brewery, and connoisseurs on the coasts and up north will agree.  We really are spoiled in KC with Boulevard.  So to say Boulevard does not make great beer is an opinion that most experts and Brewmasters do not agree with.  Now I will agree with EMAWmeister's comment that the Boulevard beer people crave about in KC is not their best work.  Boulevard was published as #3 in USA Today's top craft beer breweries.  It's all subjective, but it is much better than "Average at Best."

yeah, that's true. so let's get a list going. which beers are we talking about exactly?
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
full disclosure, my fav boulevard brew's are as follows: rye on rye, tank 7, saison-brett, double wide, bourbon barrel quad, foeder projekt..
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 17, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
Boulevard is a great brewery, and connoisseurs on the coasts and up north will agree.  We really are spoiled in KC with Boulevard.  So to say Boulevard does not make great beer is an opinion that most experts and Brewmasters do not agree with.  Now I will agree with EMAWmeister's comment that the Boulevard beer people crave about in KC is not their best work.  Boulevard was published as #3 in USA Today's top craft beer breweries.  It's all subjective, but it is much better than "Average at Best."

yeah, that's true. so let's get a list going. which beers are we talking about exactly?

It may not be the you guys are referencing, but I think Blvd Wheat is wildly overrated.

My top 3: Tank 7, Double Wide, Chocolate Ale. 80 Acre is my favorite year-round bear.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

I think KC gets over-excited for Wheat and Chocolate Ale.  80-Acre has been a great add. 

My personal favorites (not in order) are Rye on Rye, Coffee Ale, Saison Brett, Tank 7, and Bourbon Barrel Quad.  Collaboration #2 was very good (better than 3), and I tried their "Nutsack Ale" which is the leftover beer from the Nutcracker spice bags.  Sad that they chose to brew Chocolate Ale over Coffee Ale this year. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: February 17, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
I've tried to like other wheats more than Boulevard, but it honestly is the best. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of wheats in general.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: February 17, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
one thing is for sure,  beer nerds are going to beer nerd.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »

I think KC gets over-excited for Wheat and Chocolate Ale.  80-Acre has been a great add. 

My personal favorites (not in order) are Rye on Rye, Coffee Ale, Saison Brett, Tank 7, and Bourbon Barrel Quad.  Collaboration #2 was very good (better than 3), and I tried their "Nutsack Ale" which is the leftover beer from the Nutcracker spice bags.  Sad that they chose to brew Chocolate Ale over Coffee Ale this year.

same. those are the only two that really came to mind. i think it's mostly because wheat is such an entry beer for the bud/miller/coors crowd. and chocolate seems exotic or something.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
welp, didn't mean to spark anything.  guess i'm just the only person not blown away by rye on rye  :frown:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: February 17, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
bouly wheat is awful, 80 acre is good.  Fan of Dark Truth also.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 17, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

It may not be the you guys are referencing, but I think Blvd Wheat is wildly overrated.

My top 3: Tank 7, Double Wide, Chocolate Ale. 80 Acre is my favorite year-round bear.
It's the fact that they do Wheat better than anyone else.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: February 17, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Pale Ale is fantastic
80 acre is really good
Wheat is meh
Don't care much for any of their other non-smokestacks

Tank 7 is one of the best beers around
Rye on Rye and the Coffee Ale are very very good

There are some other decent smokestacks, but nothing particularly memorable.
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: February 17, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

It's the fact that they do Wheat better than anyone else.

nah

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: February 17, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »
Beer drinkers that don't like beer love Boulevard Wheat.  Its not that its any better of a wheat, its that its drinkers won't get made fun of as opposed to ordering that Woodchuck cider that they really want.

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 17, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
found some evil twin imperial biscotti break bottles at tipsy's in mission, for anyone that wants an amazing stout.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: February 17, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
found some evil twin imperial biscotti break bottles at tipsy's in mission, for anyone that wants an amazing stout.
:sdeek: hi neighbor!
:adios:

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: February 17, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
:sdeek: hi neighbor!
:peek:

i'm like 2 minutes from that store. always the go-to.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: February 17, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »

Great find brox! :drool:

Also, tipsy's  :love:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: February 17, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
80 acre is probably my favorite non snobby beer. It's perfect for almost every occasion

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: February 19, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
Got a set of craft beer glassware for valentine's day from mrstdaver.  One of those things I have always wanted but couldn't talk myself into buying.  Have always just used either a pint or wine glass depending on the beer.  Now I can use the appropriate glass and act like I can tell the difference.   :cheers:

The one silver lining about the Utah liquor situation is that everything is priced by the bottle, so I always come home with a variety.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2444 on: February 19, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
Miller Lite out of the new old cans :yum:

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
Got a set of craft beer glassware for valentine's day from mrstdaver.  One of those things I have always wanted but couldn't talk myself into buying.  Have always just used either a pint or wine glass depending on the beer.  Now I can use the appropriate glass and act like I can tell the difference.   :cheers:

The one silver lining about the Utah liquor situation is that everything is priced by the bottle, so I always come home with a variety.

is it more expensive? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: February 19, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
is it more expensive?

Yes, the state owns all of the liquor stores so they charge more and then pound you with taxes.  Also the selection is limited (although better than I expected) so I will run out of beers well before catching up with stevedave on Untappd. And there aren't very many stores to limit access.

The Big Train

« Reply #2447 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »
is it more expensive?

Yes, the state owns all of the liquor stores so they charge more and then pound you with taxes.  Also the selection is limited (although better than I expected) so I will run out of beers well before catching up with stevedave on Untappd. And there aren't very many stores to limit access.

I was in Salt Lake a few weeks ago and was appalled by the lack of liquor stores

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: February 19, 2014, 11:35:25 PM »
is it more expensive?

I was in Salt Lake a few weeks ago and was appalled by the lack of liquor stores

Ridiculous, right?  Did you figure out the other crazy rules about alcohol at restaurants?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
tobiasbro is an avid outdoorsman so it works out for him, but he'll just buy $300 of beer or so at a time in idaho and bring it back