Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 48035 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Coffee
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I get free coffee at work, no joke like frappacinos an crap.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »
I drink the free folgers at work every day.  I'm no coffee snob. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean, daily cup of joe.  I sometimes drink the free blueberry pomegranate juice instead though.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
I keep the Keurig machine plugged in at my desk, too lazy to get up and get the nasty breakroom coffee
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
You hayseeds really suck at talking coffee.   Not too surprised though, most of you probably think a Macanudo is a good cigar too.  While you guys are choking down your folgers tomorrow I'll be grinding up some freshly roasted Kenyan peaberry.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
You hayseeds really suck at talking coffee.   Not too surprised though, most of you probably think a Macanudo is a good cigar too.  While you guys are choking down your folgers tomorrow I'll be grinding up some freshly roasted Kenyan peaberry.

:love:

Tanzania peaberry is my favorite coffee of all time. Haven't tried Kenyan peaberry. Also, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Indian Monsooned Malabar.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »

Tanzania peaberry is my favorite coffee of all time. Haven't tried Kenyan peaberry. Also, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Indian Monsooned Malabar.

All really good stuff, especially the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.  Where do you get your beans and how do you brew?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »

All really good stuff, especially the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.  Where do you get your beans and how do you brew?

I get whole beans at a local coffee shop and gind them at home, usually for a french press.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2011, 12:33:32 AM »
Coffee snobs are the worst, just the absolute worst.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »
I get whole beans at a local coffee shop and gind them at home, usually for a french press.

Whole beans and french press is definitely the way to go, that's how I make mine everyday.

I used to buy green beans and roast them myself which was a good way to learn about everything, but I don't get around to doing it anymore.  I've had varying amounts of luck with local shop beans.  You might want to check out gocoffeego.com, that's what I use now and it's amazing.  My latest batch was roasted on Sept. 26th and got to my door the 28th with free shipping.  PT's coffee from Topeka is one of the best roasters in the country and they are currently included in the weekly free shipping special in case you want to give it a shot.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
What are you thoughts on washing your coffee cup? I haven't washed mine in 6 months and it has developed a fine petina. I like to think of it like seasoning a cast iron skillet. People at work seem to be evenly split between thinking this is normal and thinking this is disgusting.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:55 AM »
What are you thoughts on washing your coffee cup? I haven't washed mine in 6 months and it has developed a fine petina. I like to think of it like seasoning a cast iron skillet. People at work seem to be evenly split between thinking this is normal and thinking this is disgusting.

I rinse mine every day after drinking coffee and then take it home on the weekends and run it through the machine.  I'm prolly #teamdisgusting but I'm kind of weird about cleanliness. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2011, 09:32:05 AM »

What are good cigars and how can I get some from you for free?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
I liked the coffee in Jamaica.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »

Whole beans and french press is definitely the way to go, that's how I make mine everyday.

I used to buy green beans and roast them myself which was a good way to learn about everything, but I don't get around to doing it anymore.  I've had varying amounts of luck with local shop beans.  You might want to check out gocoffeego.com, that's what I use now and it's amazing.  My latest batch was roasted on Sept. 26th and got to my door the 28th with free shipping.  PT's coffee from Topeka is one of the best roasters in the country and they are currently included in the weekly free shipping special in case you want to give it a shot.

That gocoffeego.com is really expensive. What justifies charging at least twice as much as whole beans from a grocery store? Is the flavor really worth it?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
too bad this isn't an easy decision like what vehicle to buy

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
i'll give everybody one guess as to who needs to spend more time taking care of their yard so their neighbors don't get grossed out when they drive by and less time in the kitchen roasting their own coffee beans so that they can then grind them and put them into a french press.  :flush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
 :horrorsurprise:

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
That gocoffeego.com is really expensive. What justifies charging at least twice as much as whole beans from a grocery store? Is the flavor really worth it?

In my opinion it is, but it also depends on how you make it.  If you're throwing it in a $20 coffeemate drip machine, you probably wouldn't notice as much difference between the two.  You could make it in a $20 french press though and notice a big difference.  I wouldn't buy any coffee that I didn't know when it was roasted.  If they don't tell you, it's probably long past stale.

I used to drink a lot of coffee everyday but I decided I'd rather make one really good large cup instead so the extra cost isn't a big deal.  A few weeks ago I tried some of the Klatch coffee on there for 11.95/12oz. and it was solid, is that still twice as much as the store? (serious question)

Has anyone tried on of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=pd_sbs_k5

I have used one.  It's surprisingly pretty good for the price.  Kind of the same method as a french press but instead of letting the water and grounds soak together for a few minutes you press the water out almost immediately.  I'm not a huge espresso fan but it's probably worth a shot if that's what you're into.

i'll give everybody one guess as to who needs to spend more time taking care of their yard so their neighbors don't get grossed out when they drive by and less time in the kitchen roasting their own coffee beans so that they can then grind them and put them into a french press.

Roger the barber came down last night to teach me how to change my own sprinkler heads so my system isn't down all the time waiting for blueville to come over.  I told him I had some weird yard stalker that was intimidating me into improving my lawn and he understood.  Give it two more weeks and it will be a thing of beauty.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
This thread is absurd.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »

i'll give everybody one guess as to who needs to spend more time taking care of their yard so their neighbors don't get grossed out when they drive by and less time in the kitchen roasting their own coffee beans so that they can then grind them and put them into a french press.

Roger the barber came down last night to teach me how to change my own sprinkler heads so my system isn't down all the time waiting for blueville to come over.  I told him I had some weird yard stalker that was intimidating me into improving my lawn and he understood.  Give it two more weeks and it will be a thing of beauty.

yeah. it was one yard joke too many and not a very funny one at that. did roger give you any jarod updates?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »

In my opinion it is, but it also depends on how you make it.  If you're throwing it in a $20 coffeemate drip machine, you probably wouldn't notice as much difference between the two.  You could make it in a $20 french press though and notice a big difference.  I wouldn't buy any coffee that I didn't know when it was roasted.  If they don't tell you, it's probably long past stale.

I used to drink a lot of coffee everyday but I decided I'd rather make one really good large cup instead so the extra cost isn't a big deal.  A few weeks ago I tried some of the Klatch coffee on there for 11.95/12oz. and it was solid, is that still twice as much as the store? (serious question)

Yeah, that's probably double per ounce of a few whole-bean options at the store. I may try it some time. Would grocery store beans w/ a french press be a heck of a lot better than w/ a cheap ass drip machine?

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
yeah. it was one yard joke too many and not a very funny one at that. did roger give you any jarod updates?

No, you were right, my yard sucked.  Is Jarod his son? We usually talk about the Cats or yard/neighborhood stuff.  I googled his name and if it is his son, it looks like he's pretty successful.

Yeah, that's probably double per ounce of a few whole-bean options at the store. I may try it some time. Would grocery store beans w/ a french press be a heck of a lot better than w/ a cheap ass drip machine?

Thats a really good question.  By the time I started with the french press I was already using the premium beans and I've never used them in my drip machine so my answer would be a total guess.  If you'd like my guess, it would be that yes, it would be a good jump up in quality with a french press.   You could start with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1548-01US-1-liter-34-Ounce-Coffeemaker/dp/B000KEM4TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317415271&sr=8-1

Then you just need an electric kettle to boil the water (I really don't recommend microwaving it.)  If you end up getting one I'll let you know the steps to make it correctly.  It takes about 6 minutes to make it from the time when you start boiling the water so keep that in mind.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
Shitty drip machines can make even bad coffee worse, so they can for sure ruin good coffee.
Disclaimer: I drink shitty drip coffee all day long. (Mr. Coffee, Folger's Black Silk  :kstategrad:)