Author Topic: Potential oscar replacements? (mods plz merge. Can't find an old thread on this)  (Read 39580 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
He was one of Pearl's assistants at Tennessee too.

yep.  he's prolly the only realistic (assuming that having worked with currie is a positive, not a negative) option that i wouldn't burn down.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This Forbes guy seems like an ideal candidate. Outside of being reared in Iowa.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Who is Forbes and why should we like him?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
He is resume is remarkably similar to Brad's, including the Jayhawk league hc position in his 20s.   He is kinda goofy looking and likely will get us on Where in the World isn't SVP.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Pearl isn't leaving Auburn

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Theory: Currie recognizes his miss on bringing back an EMAW last year, fires oscar, brings in Jank.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Theory: Currie recognizes his miss on bringing back an EMAW last year, fires oscar, brings in Jank.

Jank would be right at the top of Currie's list.

This year will be his first NCAA tournament appearance ever as a head coach, and it will be with Larry Brown's players.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
At what point does telling the same joke over and over again get super old?

Yes, Currie is going to hire someone shitty we all hate. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

It's been acknowledged and laughed at, now can we stop reading a different variation of the same joke 68,346 times a day?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
At what point does telling the same joke over and over again get super old?

Yes, Currie is going to hire someone shitty we all hate. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

It's been acknowledged and laughed at, now can we stop reading a different variation of the same joke 68,346 times a day?
No one's laughing. :frown:

Offline WildcatWillie

• Fan
    • View Profile
No chance for Jank, aka ex hubby of Jackie Hartman's (daughter of Jack Hartman) and current KSU Vice President of something or other. She also is current husband of big time donor Lee Borck.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
mir, what chance would you give currie of hiring someone that will have more success at kstate than underwood will have at osu over the next 5 years?

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Buzz Williams.

Offline Catchup

• Fan
    • View Profile
I was the team manager at Barton County when Forbes was the head coach. I didn't appreciate him then like I should have. He has been an assistant under Pearl and Gregg Marshall. I think he would be a solid hire.

His best friend at the time was the head coach at Dodge City - Brad Underwood.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:52:07 PM by Catchup »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
mir, what chance would you give currie of hiring someone that will have more success at kstate than underwood will have at osu over the next 5 years?

That's an excellent question. If done right I would say better than 50/50. I think Sampson is a better coach than Brad and there will be coaches to be had who have accomplished as much as Brad has like, Holtmann. The difficulty with this question is we still have no idea what's Brad's capacity to build a program. He didn't build a program at SFA, he dominated a bad conference for two years. Right now Brad is no more proven than lets say Paul Hewitt was when he went to Georgia Tech.

I'm interested in how you and others think about this, it's really an excellent hypothetical.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
I want Kelvin. 

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

That's an excellent question. If done right I would say better than 50/50. I think Sampson is a better coach than Brad and there will be coaches to be had who have accomplished as much as Brad has like, Holtmann. The difficulty with this question is we still have no idea what's Brad's capacity to build a program. He didn't build a program at SFA, he dominated a bad conference for two years. Right now Brad is no more proven than lets say Paul Hewitt was when he went to Georgia Tech.

I'm interested in how you and others think about this, it's really an excellent hypothetical.

so far brad has taken a team that went 3-15 last year and turned it into a guaranteed ncaa tourney team with the 2nd best offense in the country. he also nearly reached the sweet 16 with sfsu. all bets are off at this point. the guy can coach.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
I want Kelvin.

I'd love Kelvin too.  Zero chance our current leadership would hire him, IMO.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I will not pretend to have any idea how any of this plays out. I am prepared for the absolute worst though and I'm not even sure the absolute worst is retaining Weber at this point.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm interested in how you and others think about this.

i think it's under 10%.  i'd like to say lower, but i don't want to offer an overly precise figure.

i think i have a higher opinion of underwood than you do.  i also believe the rumors that rumors circulate in the coaching community that currie is difficult to work with.  i also believe the risk of signing up and having currie leave is real, and would cause some candidates to hesitate even if currie is not viewed as difficult.

in fact, just having underwood coaching in the same conference has to be viewed as a negative by potential candidates.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It is almost like running off a successful coach and then hiring a coach that just got fired from another job did hurt the image of our program after all.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
It is almost like running off a successful coach and then hiring a coach that just got fired from another job -- and then not firing said fired coach when beloved former assistant alum was ripe for the picking after huge low/mid-major success -- did hurt the image of our program after all.

eff Currie. He's killed my basketball program. I'm not sure it's ever coming back.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Currie doesn't have many options short of going lateral or even down.  Being a weirdo and hiring oscar aren't the kind of things other P5 schools don't notice.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This sounds like a good fit for us.

Jeff Lebo, East Carolina
Lebo has been a head coach for 18 straight seasons (at four different schools) yet has never had a team reach the NCAA Tournament. And only twice (at Tennessee Tech in 2002 and Auburn 2009) has his team earned an NIT bid. In his six seasons at East Carolina, the Pirates are 99–100 overall and 37–63 in league games (four in C-USA, two in AAC).