Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 444900 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #3800 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
Tallgrass canning when they did was huge for them. Everyone will can soon.

Quote from: Jeff Gill aka: stud/ boss

Ask a Midwestern craft beer drinker what they think of craft beer in a can and more often than not you will hear, "Bottled beer tastes better.” I thought the same thing for a long time, but in recent years I’ve experienced some great-tasting canned craft beer from other parts of the country. I didn’t think much more about it, until a phone call last fall that got me to do a little research on the subject.

The call was from a Tallgrass drinker in western Kansas. He had about 20 empty cases of IPA bottles and boxes stacked in his garage. I guess he really likes it. He wanted to return the boxes for us to reuse, but since he was so far away, picking them up was not an option. I asked him to recycle the glass and cardboard, but he did not have a local recycler. It would all have to go to the local landfill. This seemed like a huge waste, but what could we do? As a recovering environmental geologist, I still love to solve problems, so I thought about this one.

After a little research, I found out that bottles with paper boxes are just about the most wasteful, energy intensive, and hard-to-recycle things that can hold beer. On top of that, they are not even the best choice for the quality of the beer!

It turns out that the humble aluminum can is the best choice for a whole lot of reasons. Cans are better for the beer. Cans seal better than bottles and totally block sunlight, which keeps our beer tasting fresher, longer. Cans are more fun. You can take cans to the pool, concerts, lakes, stadiums, hot tubs, golf courses, and anywhere else you can’t take glass. Last, but not least, the aluminum can is WAY better for the environment than bottles.

Cans are 12x lighter than glass, which means it takes less energy to ship the same amount of beer. But the biggest advantage is how easy it is to recycle cans. A recycled aluminum can will be made into another can and back on the shelf in about 60 days. Recycling is an easy, efficient thing for can manufacturers to do. 50% of all cans are now recycled and that is expected to increase in the future.

After learning all of this, I have decided to change Tallgrass packaging from bottles to really cool cans that hold 1 full pint of beer. Think of them as little recyclable kegs that can fit in a backpack. Go ahead and enjoy Tallgrass with your friends. Drink assured that we will always walk the walk when it comes to doing the right thing, for our beer, our beer drinkers, and our little corner of the planet.

Cheers,
Jeff Gill, Founder, Tallgrass Brewing Company

http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/about/canifesto

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:39:10 PM by roidhead »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: January 23, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »

I was at that canning party, was pretty awesome, we got so much free beer. Most of the party ended up in the cooler cause their facility was not air conditioned and it was the only cool place (it was like July) and one of the guys in my house was a brewer at Tallgrass at the time, and a bunch of us were talking to him and noticed this odd pallet in the middle of the cooler with all their types of beer on it (all the other pallets had just Oasis or just Buffalo Sweat, etc.) and we asked him why that one was mixed. He told us all of those beers were the "rejects", beer cans that had been over filled or under filled as part of their calibration tests and whatnot. He's like "yeah it's a shame, we can't sell them, hold on" got his boss, his boss comes in and is like "yeah we can't sell them, but if you want them you can take them if you like." :Wha: Me and my friends made out with about 200 free beers, one of the greatest things to happen in my life.  :driving:  :weirdrobert: :moreira: :drink:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
Lagunitas' ownership are confirmed dicks.

Can confirm. Although I was talking to a distributor and Lagunitas provided a keg for their party. After a couple beers everyone was feeling pretty weird, and it was because they had put a pound of mushrooms in the keg they provided.
I'm not even sure how this would be possible. They would have had to put the shrooms in the fermenter I guess... Not entirely sure how shrooms work but I doubt that would make the beer trippy.

Seems odd. But lagunitas is super weird. They sell weed out of their tap room in cali.

They are opening (open?)  a place in Chicago. Don't know the details on it, but you chi cats should check it out.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »

Can confirm. Although I was talking to a distributor and Lagunitas provided a keg for their party. After a couple beers everyone was feeling pretty weird, and it was because they had put a pound of mushrooms in the keg they provided.
I'm not even sure how this would be possible. They would have had to put the shrooms in the fermenter I guess... Not entirely sure how shrooms work but I doubt that would make the beer trippy.

Seems odd. But lagunitas is super weird. They sell weed out of their tap room in cali.

They are opening (open?)  a place in Chicago. Don't know the details on it, but you chi cats should check it out.

pretty sure there would have to be heat applied to release the hallucinogen. it might have been included in the original mash.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: January 23, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
All the elite breweries in North Carolina can. Convenient and delicious, with serious overtones of environmentalist cred.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: January 23, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
All the elite breweries in North Carolina can. Convenient and delicious, with serious overtones of environmentalist cred.

Boulevard jumping on that Tallgrass bandwagon grind. They Dem Boys!

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: January 23, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

pretty sure there would have to be heat applied to release the hallucinogen. it might have been included in the original mash.
Thus would make sense. Still if I'm lagunitas that's taking a big risk of getting your entire brewery shut down just for making a stupid shroom beer.

I'm surprised a Colorado brewery hasn't made a weed beer yet. Or maybe they have and I just haven't heard of it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
narcs

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: January 23, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »

Thus would make sense. Still if I'm lagunitas that's taking a big risk of getting your entire brewery shut down just for making a stupid shroom beer.

I'm surprised a Colorado brewery hasn't made a weed beer yet. Or maybe they have and I just haven't heard of it.

There are weed beverages but no weed beer.  I can't imagine the state is going to allow mixing alcohol with weed.  Also, the edibles you get are like "eat 1 gummi bear" or "eat 1/10th of the cookie".  Mixing weed with the binge tendencies of beer would be trouble.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: January 23, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »

I was at that canning party, was pretty awesome, we got so much free beer. Most of the party ended up in the cooler cause their facility was not air conditioned and it was the only cool place (it was like July) and one of the guys in my house was a brewer at Tallgrass at the time, and a bunch of us were talking to him and noticed this odd pallet in the middle of the cooler with all their types of beer on it (all the other pallets had just Oasis or just Buffalo Sweat, etc.) and we asked him why that one was mixed. He told us all of those beers were the "rejects", beer cans that had been over filled or under filled as part of their calibration tests and whatnot. He's like "yeah it's a shame, we can't sell them, hold on" got his boss, his boss comes in and is like "yeah we can't sell them, but if you want them you can take them if you like." :Wha: Me and my friends made out with about 200 free beers, one of the greatest things to happen in my life.  :driving:  :weirdrobert: :moreira: :drink:
This sounds pretty great.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
A stud friend of mine gets those things all the time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: January 23, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
Going to Jester King next weekend  :Woohoo:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

:billdance:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »
Founders imperial stout.  Good

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: January 25, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »

An American classic!
:adios:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
"When we're chillin' and we pound a case of Stroh's"
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: January 25, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »

See you there Spracne! :wha:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: January 25, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
had a hopslam today.  Very Very good.  the price is ridiculous.

Also, goose Island Bourban country stout.  Like 15 % or something crazy.  kind of a sensory overload

The Big Train

« Reply #3819 on: January 25, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »

An American classic!

this is an insanely tall picture  :sdeek:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
Prairie in KS today.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
What should I pick up and do I need to borrow a friend's pickup?

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/files/BottlesToGo_1.30.15.pdf

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »
Probably dehydrated after shredding gnar today.  Now this bottle of Unibroue La Terrible is kicking my ass while watching Horton Hears a Who with lil tdavers.  Tastes great tho!   :cheers:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: January 31, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
What should I pick up and do I need to borrow a friend's pickup?

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/files/BottlesToGo_1.30.15.pdf

sorry I missed this post man, 11 hours of driving since yesterday at 3 with a funeral mixed in to boot.  what did you get? 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3824 on: January 31, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
Drowning my sorrows. Tasty.