Date: 24/04/24 - 03:20 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: "Floating" realignment interesting, impractical  (Read 1172 times)

March 10, 2010, 04:53:50 PM
Read 1172 times

rak21

• Cub

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2681/floating-realignment-interesting-impractical

I just heard about this on Around the Horn. At first I thought this was a great idea but then I thought that it sounded kinda cheesy. It's not a terrible idea, maybe it's a start, but it is kinda dumb when you consider that you could just change divisions every year. No other American sports league does that (they do it in soccer in Europe) so it would be just another way that baseball thinks that they don't have to play by the rules like everybody else. Maybe what they could do instead is create more competive divisions. You'd have to move teams around which maybe would include putting American League and National League teams in the same league. I'm going to play with it and see what I come up with.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:52:43 PM by catsfan20032004 »

March 12, 2010, 02:14:30 PM
Reply #1

Brock Landers

• Cub

I read the article and although the reasons listed are valid, this plan just wouldn't work.  The mechanics of trying to figure out which teams are going to be in which division, and figuring this out on a yearly basis would be too complicated.  It would pretty much water down the concept of even having divisions.

Baseball does a pretty good job of having divisions that are aligned based on either historical or geographical rivalries, and having teams switch due to competetive imbalance doesn't seem to be the answer.  The real solution of course would be to change the overall financial landscape of baseball, i.e. salary cap, and you know that isn't likely to happen for a while.
KSU Football:  We're getting the band back together