Date: 26/04/24 - 22:13 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Frank Extends  (Read 971 times)

March 07, 2010, 12:15:44 PM
Read 971 times

Wildcat_Forever

• Cub

• Blog
Nice raise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4973445

Kansas State coach Frank Martin has agreed to and will sign a three-year extension to remain with the Wildcats through the 2014-15 season, a source with direct knowledge of the contract told ESPN.com on Sunday.

Martin had two years remaining on his original deal, which paid him $760,000 a season. The new deal, which is retroactive to this year, will bump his salary up to $1.2 million a year, according to the source.

Martin, in his third year as a head coach in Division I, has led the Wildcats (24-6, 11-5 Big 12) to a No. 2 seed in the Big 12 conference tournament. Kansas State, currently ranked fifth in both the coaches' and AP polls, was in contention for a No. 1 seed prior to losing in overtime to Iowa State on Saturday.

Martin was named the Big 12 coach of the year and is expected to be in the top five to seven in voting for national coach of the year.

March 07, 2010, 02:05:31 PM
Reply #1

rak21

• Cub

Congratulations Coach! So it's really a 5 year deal?

:cheers:

March 07, 2010, 02:37:18 PM
Reply #2

kshox

• Cub

Hmm, where's all the ku fans who told us Matin was gone? I wonder why their rich, donor uncles didn't get us this inside scoop before it happened.

March 07, 2010, 10:59:57 PM
Reply #3

kst8catfan

• Cub

Just got this e-mail:

March 7, 2010

Dear K-State Alumni and Friends,

As some of you may have seen through a similar letter to Ahearn Fund members, today we are pleased to share with you an exciting announcement for Kansas State University and all K-Staters regarding our men's basketball program.

Since my arrival in Manhattan last June I have conducted an ongoing evaluation of all our athletic programs and coaching staffs.  As I have said frequently, I am impressed with the depth of quality of our head coaching roster and it is clear that Coach Martin is an exemplary member of that group.  Certainly this evaluation extends far beyond the court to the academic performance and character of our teams and the commitment Coach Martin has shown to representing the broader ideals of Kansas State University. In addition to winning 67 games and counting in his first three seasons, the academic performance of our student-athletes has dramatically improved under Coach Martin's leadership. Our three seniors are on track to graduate in May and our four year men's basketball graduation rate of 75% is the highest in the Big 12. The team's most recent APR score was our second highest ever at .959 which brings our four year average to within a one-thousandth of the four-year composite NCAA target average of .925.

While we are very proud of the accomplishments of this season, we are equally confident in the continued growth of the program into a regular contender for Big 12 and national honors under Coach Martin's on-going leadership.  Thus, with the approval of the KSA Board of Directors and President Schulz, we have offered and Coach Martin has accepted a new contract that signifies our confidence in him, his long-term commitment to K-State, and perhaps most importantly, demonstrates K-State's determination to achieve our vision of becoming a model intercollegiate program with, among other goals, championship athletic performances in the Big 12 and nationally.

The new contract along with long-term retention incentives will elevate Coach Martin's compensation to an average of $1.55 million for the 2010-2011 through 2014-2015 seasons. He will also be eligible for a nationally competitive incentive program including annual performance incentives of up to 32% of his base salary.  Additionally, Coach Martin will receive a signing bonus of $462,800 payable by July 30.

A critical component of K-State's ability to achieve these goals is the individual grass-roots participation of Wildcats nationwide in the Ahearn Fund.  Your contributions, large and small are the key to funding the competitive salaries of our coaches, scholarships for Wildcat student-athletes, and facility improvements critical to this quest.  If you have not already done so, please click on http://www.ahearnfund.com to make your tax deductible gift to support K-State's quest.

As we proceed through an exciting postseason we remind you that the deadline for season ticket holders and Ahearn members to pre-order NCAA tickets is March 8.  Stay tuned to http://www.kstatesports.com for more information as the Cats' postseason plans unfold.

On behalf of our 435 student athletes in K-State's 16 intercollegiate sports, thank you for your continued support of the Wildcats.

Go Cats!

John Currie

Director of Athletics

Kansas State University

March 08, 2010, 01:36:14 AM
Reply #4

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
I am very proud to be a KSU fan today. I think with this extension, we are turning the corner from the Busch-League, amateur bull$h!t that was KSU sports in the recent history. Weefs & Co are behind us and now the pressure is off for this extension and we can all look forward to the future. I love this program, and it makes me thrilled to have someone who appears to be a professional at the helm! Thanks KSU Athl Dept fir doing the right thing!
GO CATS!
 :bballonlyfan:

March 08, 2010, 06:25:58 PM
Reply #5

NYRoyal

• Cub

Currie has taken a lot of crap on this board.  He's been accused of insulting Frank with offers (when he was just engaging in standard negotiation methodology for multi-millon dollar contracts).  Well, you have to give Currie his props for signing Martin to a very good contract for both sides. 

Are all of the people who called Currie an idiot who was going to run off Frank and ruin the basketball program going to eat crow now.  Somehow I don't think so.

March 08, 2010, 06:40:33 PM
Reply #6

dobbie4ksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    KSUfans.com will become the #1 Kstate sports BBS!
I never tasted crow, how should I prepare it?
"I don't know if I will be able to knock out as many teeth as big Lu, but I hope to pick up on the scoring and rebounding aspects." Wally Judge talking about being a biig of the future for KSU!

March 08, 2010, 07:14:45 PM
Reply #7

NYRoyal

• Cub

I never tasted crow, how should I prepare it?
Oh, any old way will work, as long as one eats plenty of it and does so publicly.

March 08, 2010, 07:53:29 PM
Reply #8

dobbie4ksu

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    KSUfans.com will become the #1 Kstate sports BBS!
I had no faith in Currie and I blame that on previous ksu big wigs, thank god for it that is all I can say... Welcome for the long haul Frank
"I don't know if I will be able to knock out as many teeth as big Lu, but I hope to pick up on the scoring and rebounding aspects." Wally Judge talking about being a biig of the future for KSU!