Date: 25/04/24 - 00:49 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 15101 times)

November 29, 2009, 08:11:31 PM
Read 15101 times

royalswild

• Cub

November 30, 2009, 12:06:42 PM
Reply #1

novembereleven

• Cub

Zzz huh???

Looks like a pretty good start to me:

WR- Marcus Kennard (1st Team Jayhawk Conference- FR)
DE- Meshak Williams (2nd Team Jayhawk Conference- FR)
QB- Angelo Pease (Hon. Mention Jayhawk Conference- FR)

OL-Cody Whitehair (HS lineman with early offer from Okie State in addition to KSU)

Not sure what you're expecting for the 2011 recruiting class in late November of 2009.

November 30, 2009, 12:42:35 PM
Reply #2

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
You know who else tried to make us Juco U?

ron Prince.

:flush:

November 30, 2009, 12:44:42 PM
Reply #3

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

You know who else tried to make us Juco U?

ron Prince.

:flush:

And you know who did it before Prince?

We all know how that turned out...

November 30, 2009, 01:02:22 PM
Reply #4

novembereleven

• Cub

Not sure how 4 placements succeeding with the intent to come back to KSU make us Juco U.  There is a big difference between Snyder's practice of taking 8-10 JC's and Prince grabbing 20+. 

November 30, 2009, 01:45:15 PM
Reply #5

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
Zzz huh???

Looks like a pretty good start to me:

WR- Marcus Kennard (1st Team Jayhawk Conference- FR)
DE- Meshak Williams (2nd Team Jayhawk Conference- FR)
QB- Angelo Pease (Hon. Mention Jayhawk Conference- FR)

OL-Cody Whitehair (HS lineman with early offer from Okie State in addition to KSU)

Not sure what you're expecting for the 2011 recruiting class in late November of 2009.

Three solid jucos and a the kid that will most likely end up as the best player in Kansas.  (To play college football anyway.)  Not too shabby this early in the game.  Don't know anything about that other guy though.  Olukayode Akinmoladun?  What's his story?

November 30, 2009, 02:56:23 PM
Reply #6

Legore

• Premium Member
  • Cub

Meshawk and Kennard are good players at key positions glad to have them.  I have no problem taking jucos but when you do they'd better be potential impact players at impact positions.   The Ron Prince take a jc TE who might be a good second TE in two tight sets or take a bunch of undersized jc LB's who might be good on special teams etc. never made much sense to me. 

Snyder seems to be picking his shots with jucos a little better then Prince though I do question the DB from hutch and the OL from Cali in this year's class.  I think we'd be better served with high school players in place of those guys. 

November 30, 2009, 03:02:50 PM
Reply #7

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
<---------Click the ball

November 30, 2009, 03:08:49 PM
Reply #8

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
Meshawk and Kennard are good players at key positions glad to have them.  I have no problem taking jucos but when you do they'd better be potential impact players at impact positions.   The Ron Prince take a jc TE who might be a good second TE in two tight sets or take a bunch of undersized jc LB's who might be good on special teams etc. never made much sense to me. 

Snyder seems to be picking his shots with jucos a little better then Prince though I do question the DB from hutch and the OL from Cali in this year's class.  I think we'd be better served with high school players in place of those guys. 

He's another solid player to help create depth.  If T. Miller can't overtake Hartman next year, maybe Pearson can.

November 30, 2009, 03:09:34 PM
Reply #9

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
nm

Very astute observation Mr. Dave.  I concur entirely.

December 02, 2009, 01:18:52 PM
Reply #10

Cem Blasoflas

• Cub

“I’m uncomfortable not having the opportunity to assess someone’s senior year in high school,” he said. “It doesn’t mean that I’m uncomfortable with the youngsters we have committed to our program right now. I’m not uncomfortable with them.
Next season, he may hold open a few more scholarships. Even though recruiting has changed, he’s not sure if he wants to follow suit.

“I’m trying to decide whether that’s really what we need to do,” he said.

http://www.kansascity.com/165/story/1605677.html

When everybody is running a spread offense and chucking the ball all over the field, a power run game is suddenly very effective.  When everybody is signing up kids a year and a half before they graduate, the guy who waits around is going to pick up all the diamonds that didn't emerge until their senior season.  This is how Bill Snyder wins.
Is your life so sad that KSU football isn't enough?

December 02, 2009, 01:52:41 PM
Reply #11

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
When everybody is signing up kids a year and a half before they graduate, the guy who waits around is going to pick up all the diamonds that didn't emerge until their senior season. 

Pretty sure this is just his way of fancying up, "They were qualification risks"

<---------Click the ball

December 02, 2009, 02:23:26 PM
Reply #12

Cem Blasoflas

• Cub

Bill Snyder has wet dreams about qualification risks.  We're not OU or Texas who are worried about running out of schollies.  Offer them up and if they qualify it's great.  If they don't, then we've just built a relationship with a possible future JUCO AA and we still have the schollie that we weren't going to offer anyway until we'd evaluated the kid's senior season.

Win-Win
Is your life so sad that KSU football isn't enough?

December 02, 2009, 02:32:58 PM
Reply #13

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
Bill Snyder has wet dreams about qualification risks.  We're not OU or Texas who are worried about running out of schollies.  Offer them up and if they qualify it's great.  If they don't, then we've just built a relationship with a possible future JUCO AA and we still have the schollie that we weren't going to offer anyway until we'd evaluated the kid's senior season.

Win-Win

I'm not disagreeing in the least
<---------Click the ball

December 07, 2009, 10:24:20 AM
Reply #14

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
“I’m uncomfortable not having the opportunity to assess someone’s senior year in high school,” he said. “It doesn’t mean that I’m uncomfortable with the youngsters we have committed to our program right now. I’m not uncomfortable with them.
Next season, he may hold open a few more scholarships. Even though recruiting has changed, he’s not sure if he wants to follow suit.

When everybody is running a spread offense and chucking the ball all over the field, a power run game is suddenly very effective.  When everybody is signing up kids a year and a half before they graduate, the guy who waits around is going to pick up all the diamonds that didn't emerge until their senior season.  This is how Bill Snyder wins.

He sure as hell wasn't "uncomfortable" with assessing his grandson's "potential". What a cop out.

December 07, 2009, 01:43:19 PM
Reply #15

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!

He sure as hell wasn't "uncomfortable" with assessing his grandson's "potential". What a cop out.

Are you referring to the kid that is first team all state and wasn't offered until his senior year?

December 07, 2009, 04:07:53 PM
Reply #16

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU

Are you referring to the kid that is first team all state and wasn't offered until his senior year?

yup, that's him - I dont care how he stacks up in KS... I care how he stacks up compared to the other guys in his class... IOW - he is mediocre at best.

December 08, 2009, 02:04:09 AM
Reply #17

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!

yup, that's him - I dont care how he stacks up in KS... I care how he stacks up compared to the other guys in his class... IOW - he is mediocre at best.

Kid was top-11 in KS.  His grandpa is a hall of fame coach and his dad being an all American player.  I'm guessing he probably understands the game fairly well.  Substitute Bill Snyder for Beamer/Bowden/Paterno in this situation, would we not love signing one of their grandsons, especially if their son was was an AA?  I don't have a big problem with him playing for us.  And, you were bitching about Snyder's unwillingness to offer kids before they've played their senior years.  Tate didn't commit until well into his senior season, which seems kind of contradictory to your ill-informed rant.  That, and the stud lineman from Abiliene that committed to us during his junior year just a week or so ago.

December 08, 2009, 05:34:57 AM
Reply #18

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
dude, Sean was an All-American punter.

December 08, 2009, 06:15:19 AM
Reply #19

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
I just don't understand why Tate needs a scholarship. Wouldn't it make more sense to have him just walk on? You can't tell me that the Snyders can't afford it.

December 08, 2009, 09:09:24 AM
Reply #20

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU

Kid was top-11 in KS.  His grandpa is a hall of fame coach and his dad being an all American player.  I'm guessing he probably understands the game fairly well.  Substitute Bill Snyder for Beamer/Bowden/Paterno in this situation, would we not love signing one of their grandsons, especially if their son was was an AA?  I don't have a big problem with him playing for us.  And, you were bitching about Snyder's unwillingness to offer kids before they've played their senior years.  Tate didn't commit until well into his senior season, which seems kind of contradictory to your ill-informed rant.  That, and the stud lineman from Abiliene that committed to us during his junior year just a week or so ago.

My "bitching" was more symbolic of Snyd & co. not evolving to the new way of recruiting; ergo, we will miss out on MANY high quality players. If you are content with the status quo with Snyds style of recruiting, great - I am not.

Let me dumb this one down a bit - I dont care where he stacks up in KS, if he was the best in KS AND top 5-10 in the country; I will get excited, but if he is just a "Top KS kid" I am just a little "meh". Oh and one other thing, because we offer ONE kid when he is a Jr does not mean that anything has changed. We need to start talking to kids when they are sophomores, like everyone else in the country who excels in College FB.

December 08, 2009, 10:14:20 AM
Reply #21

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
I just don't understand why Tate needs a scholarship. Wouldn't it make more sense to have him just walk on? You can't tell me that the Snyders can't afford it.

I would be absolutely amazed if he actually received a scholarship.  His family can certainly afford it and it would tie up one of 25, of which we need every single one.  If they want to greyshirt him and give him a schollie next year, that would be more acceptable IMHO.

December 08, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
Reply #22

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!

My "bitching" was more symbolic of Snyd & co. not evolving to the new way of recruiting; ergo, we will miss out on MANY high quality players. If you are content with the status quo with Snyds style of recruiting, great - I am not.

Let me dumb this one down a bit - I dont care where he stacks up in KS, if he was the best in KS AND top 5-10 in the country; I will get excited, but if he is just a "Top KS kid" I am just a little "meh". Oh and one other thing, because we offer ONE kid when he is a Jr does not mean that anything has changed. We need to start talking to kids when they are sophomores, like everyone else in the country who excels in College FB.

If you're not happy with any player unless they're top 5-10 in the nation, then you really must not like college football.  Even they best recruiting schools in the nation only land one or 2 players like that per year.  Hell, OU doesn't have a single 5* in their 09 or 2010 classes.  There is a lot of talent outside the top 5-10 in the country. 

December 08, 2009, 12:47:36 PM
Reply #23

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU

If you're not happy with any player unless they're top 5-10 in the nation, then you really must not like college football.  Even they best recruiting schools in the nation only land one or 2 players like that per year.  Hell, OU doesn't have a single 5* in their 09 or 2010 classes.  There is a lot of talent outside the top 5-10 in the country. 

I just wanted to get across that I am not going to do backflips over some guy who is all state in KS. I dont want to hijack this thread.

January 07, 2010, 07:16:12 PM
Reply #24

powercat

• Cub

When is the last time the Cats got a top 5 in the country recruit? Like never. Be a little more realistic in your expectations. Those kids go to Bama, Texas, and USC.

January 11, 2010, 09:45:39 PM
Reply #25

enjoytheNeujahr

• Cub

well maybe not usc anymore

January 11, 2010, 11:17:31 PM
Reply #26

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
well maybe not usc anymore

Will be interesting to see who they land as their next HC.  Dudes rumored include Fisher, Del Rio, Wittingham, Peterson, Bellotti, Harbaugh, and Gruden.  Some might seem like a stretch, but Carroll was making 4.4 mil and that kind of money will get a lot of people's attention.  They land one of those type of coaches and I don't see the program taking much of a hit at all.  I personally have never been all that impressed with Carroll's coaching ability.  Dude was an incredible recruiter, no doubt, but what would a guy like Jeff Fisher do with the typical USC team from the last 9 years or so?   :ohno:

January 11, 2010, 11:23:07 PM
Reply #27

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
When is the last time the Cats got a top 5 in the country recruit? Like never. Be a little more realistic in your expectations. Those kids go to Bama, Texas, and USC.

Nice. Set the bar low. Pretty good idea. Why bother trying to get a quality recruiter when we are never going to get the top recruits. Classic.

January 11, 2010, 11:29:02 PM
Reply #28

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!

Nice. Set the bar low. Pretty good idea. Why bother trying to get a quality recruiter when we are never going to get the top recruits. Classic.

You're totally right.  If we can't get a guy in here that will sign an entire class of dudes ranked in the top 10 nationally, we will never find success again.  Not sure how we will fill the other 15 schollies per year, however...

Quote from:  Some Dumbass
if he was the best in KS AND top 5-10 in the country; I will get excited

January 12, 2010, 12:05:04 AM
Reply #29

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
JT are you stalking me AGAIN? Good lord man, get a freaking hobby. Wherever I go, there you are with you horrible posts and your personal attacks... We get it, your pissed -now please go back to gpc.com and be with your kind over there. And really, chill out - your starting to become that weird angry cyber stalker - maybe Chris Matthews should do an MSNBC show about crazy thread hijacking stalkers, you would be the prime target, psycho!