Date: 23/04/24 - 21:23 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Perkins is building a monster  (Read 7747 times)

September 01, 2009, 12:54:23 PM
Reply #30

sonofdaxjones

• All American

So ku landed their own version of Tre Walker . . .  :thumbsup:

September 01, 2009, 12:58:49 PM
Reply #31

EmporiaWildcat

• Cub

I'd much rather have a 69 year old coach than one that weighs 400+ pounds.

September 01, 2009, 01:01:20 PM
Reply #32

sonofdaxjones

• All American

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-Trayvon-Henry-78130

You're losing the argument so you change the subject to recruiting?   :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

When  you're a perpetually  :mad: validator ku fanboy like Ben this is standard operating procedure.

September 01, 2009, 01:20:40 PM
Reply #33

snauzages

sayers was mediocre, hee hee. silly

September 01, 2009, 01:21:10 PM
Reply #34

Stupid Fitz

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I don't mean to be stupid
Gale Sayers has just been hired as the Director of Fundraising for Special Projects.  In other words, expect a multi-million dollar renovation of Memorial Stadium in the near future. 

:woot:

JFC, more facilities smack. What's next, more players with swine flu smack?

September 01, 2009, 01:43:49 PM
Reply #35

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-Trayvon-Henry-78130

Pretty much sums up the state of uk football.  In the middle of uk's "golden era," Ben is reduced to facilities smack and hyping up 3 star recruits.  Honestly, how many elite teams would attempt to entice validation with a goddamn 3 star recruit?  You're a goddamn clown Ben.  A &@#%ing crying-on-the-inside clown. 

September 01, 2009, 01:49:25 PM
Reply #36

sonofdaxjones

• All American

I wonder if Ben has snatched up any of the 1000's of complimentary tickets available for the opening weekend of "History Awaits"??

September 01, 2009, 01:51:22 PM
Reply #37

BMWJhawk

You have got to be kidding.  First of all, Henry is much higher ranked.  Second, Henry had an offer to Oklahoma, among others.  I only posted this to ruffle your feathers.  Remind me why you think I'm losing an argument here.

September 01, 2009, 01:59:04 PM
Reply #38

sonofdaxjones

• All American

You have got to be kidding.  First of all, Henry is much higher ranked.  Second, Henry had an offer to Oklahoma, among others.  I only posted this to ruffle your feathers.  Remind me why you think I'm losing an argument here.

I doubt very much there's any significant difference in their abilities and potential.   

September 01, 2009, 02:32:41 PM
Reply #39

BMWJhawk

The Kaiser. . . What a joke that post was.  Gale Sayers is an NFL hall of famer. Still considered one of the best running backs to ever play the game.  I find it absolutely hilarious that K-State fans expect ku to fall off the map now that we've got better recruits and facilities.  That Orange Bowl team was just a glimpse of what ku can become.  I don't blame you guys for being scared crapless.

September 01, 2009, 02:59:29 PM
Reply #40

The Kaiser

• Cub

but Gale Sayers was a sympathetic NFL HOF choice, he never earned it.  THOUSANDS of guys have had a couple of good seasons, gotten hurt and forced to retire; they aren't in the HOF. BUT, as has been documented on here, he has gotten more mileage out of his crapty career than anyone on the face of the planet.  But, props to him for fooling everybody...

Second, have you not yet figured out HOW ku is getting most of these highly ranked kids to commit?  ku got Dez Briscoe because he had legal issues in HS, and that didn't change when he got to Lawrence.  Same with Brady McDougal (allegedly dealing pot at his HS, hence OSU dropped their offer, though ku lauds it as "choosing ku over OSU", this according to an OSU fan site), same with Jocques Crawford, same with Nick Reid, Aquib Talib, John Randle...the list goes on and on. This is how the fat man operates.  If you think that is the plan for long term success, you are a complete idiot...

KSU built the program while Colorado had just played for consecutive national titles and in the midst of Nebraska playing for 6 and winning 3 national titles in a 10 year period.  I have no idea why you think a "Dan McCarney at Iowa State" type success at ku (though McCarney had success for a longer period of time, and in a tougher league, than Mangino) is worrying anyone at KSU.  You do realize that Missouri won the division with a 5-3 record last year?  You hopefully also realize that Missouri finished 5-3 in the conference in 1998 and finished 3rd in the north?  The division sucks right now; ku and their modicum of success in this environment is exactly intimidating nor dominant....get over yourself, ku isn't that good.

but, ol bourbon and peanuts is back, so you got that going for ya! :thumbsup:

September 01, 2009, 03:04:24 PM
Reply #41

sonofdaxjones

• All American

The sad thing for "what ku has to come" concept is that I don't see many regular season 77th SOS schedules in ku's future.

September 01, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
Reply #42

BMWJhawk

but Gale Sayers was a sympathetic NFL HOF choice, he never earned it.  THOUSANDS of guys have had a couple of good seasons, gotten hurt and forced to retire; they aren't in the HOF. BUT, as has been documented on here, he has gotten more mileage out of his crapty career than anyone on the face of the planet.  But, props to him for fooling everybody...

Second, have you not yet figured out HOW ku is getting most of these highly ranked kids to commit?  ku got Dez Briscoe because he had legal issues in HS, and that didn't change when he got to Lawrence.  Same with Brady McDougal (allegedly dealing pot at his HS, hence OSU dropped their offer, though ku lauds it as "choosing ku over OSU", this according to an OSU fan site), same with Jocques Crawford, same with Nick Reid, Aquib Talib, John Randle...the list goes on and on. This is how the fat man operates.  If you think that is the plan for long term success, you are a complete idiot...

KSU built the program while Colorado had just played for consecutive national titles and in the midst of Nebraska playing for 6 and winning 3 national titles in a 10 year period.  I have no idea why you think a "Dan McCarney at Iowa State" type success at ku (though McCarney had success for a longer period of time, and in a tougher league, than Mangino) is worrying anyone at KSU.  You do realize that Missouri won the division with a 5-3 record last year?  You hopefully also realize that Missouri finished 5-3 in the conference in 1998 and finished 3rd in the north?  The division sucks right now; ku and their modicum of success in this environment is exactly intimidating nor dominant....get over yourself, ku isn't that good.

but, ol bourbon and peanuts is back, so you got that going for ya! :thumbsup:

It's really quite obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Sayers set NFL records for most TD's for a rookie, most TD's in a game, highest career kickoff return average, most kickoff return TD's, and most return TD's in a game.  Just because his career was tragically cut short by injuries doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to be an NFL hall of famer.  Seriously, you sound like a bitter, jealous powertard.  Congrats.

Next, it's apparent that your perception of ku football is completely delusional.  ku is simply recruiting talented players, mostly from the state of Texas.  The fact that a few of those players have had run-ins with the law is no different than any other football program.  People make mistakes.  It happens on every level... not just at ku.  There's really no denying that ku's recruiting clases have improved each and every year.  The '09 and '10 classes are Mangino's best ever.  How f*cking delusional do you have to be to expect ku to be worse with better players and a better product to sell?  Powertards never cease to amaze me.

Last, but not least, K-State football benefitted from the fact that ku and Mizzou didn't even try during the '90's and early '00's.  Neither school cared that much about football.  It wasn't until Lew Perkins and Mangino were hired that ku actually started putting an effort into football.  In only a few short years, ku had replaced K-State as the dominant in-state football program.  Mangino has won 4 out of 5 against K-State and will likely win the next several games in the series.  Right now, ku is head and shoulders more talented than K-State.  It's really not even close.  See: 52-21.  As for your assertion that the North is weak, there's just another fallacy in the long list of powertard myths.   ku and Mizzou both finished with 12-win, top ten seasons in '07.  ku, Nebraska, and Mizzou all finished with 8+ wins last season and won bowl games.  Your perception of the North is based in the fact that K-State sucks now.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Carry on.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:23:52 PM by BMWJhawk »

September 01, 2009, 04:36:16 PM
Reply #43

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Yeah, Mizzou tried so little they built the Devine Pavilion and spent millions renovating Faurot Field . . . that's how little they tried. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  On top of that Larry Smith made KSU MU's "hardon" game of the year. 

The numbers speak for themselves:

Big 12 North 1996-2003:  2 National Titles, 4 Big 12 titles, and 17 Final Top 25 teams.

Big 12 North 2004-Present:  0 National Titles, 0 Big 12 Titles, 6 Final Top 25 teams.

It's quite clear ku and mu made progress when the Big 12 North was a shadow of its former self.

But I love it when Ben gets all  :mad: :mad:

September 01, 2009, 04:40:36 PM
Reply #44

BMWJhawk

The only thing that's clear is that once ku and Mizzou started trying at football, K-State fell off the map.  Pretty amazing that Mangino (and Pinkel) was able to kill K-State's football program in only a few short years.

September 01, 2009, 04:42:52 PM
Reply #45

sonofdaxjones

• All American

The only thing that's clear is that once ku and Mizzou started trying at football, K-State fell off the map.  Pretty amazing that Mangino (and Pinkel) was able to kill K-State's football program in only a few short years.

LOL . . . your definition of "kill" and"fell of the map" use your standard hyper hyperbole Ben. 

September 01, 2009, 04:50:57 PM
Reply #46

BMWJhawk

LOL . . . your definition of "kill" and"fell of the map" use your standard hyper hyperbole Ben. 

Ron Prince and the ensuing clusterf*ck that followed his firing might have officially put the nail in the coffin, at least for the foreseeable future.  How much money does K-State owe Prince?  6 million?

:lol:

September 01, 2009, 04:57:36 PM
Reply #47

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Ron Prince and the ensuing clusterf*ck that followed his firing might have officially put the nail in the coffin, at least for the foreseeable future.  How much money does K-State owe Prince?  6 million?

This is what I love about you Ben.   When you don't really have a point, you bring up something that has nothing at all to do with the actual theme of the conversation.   It's like me mentioning the fact that Lew Perkins hates Mark Mangino's copious guts (and the feeling is mutual) while discussing the status of how far down the Big 12 North has been relatively speaking since 2004.

The last I checked, K-State's football budget hasn't been cut one dime, and so far not one penny has been paid to Ron Prince relative to the contract dispute, so that doesn't have anything to do with anything relative to this discussion.

But don't let that stop your K-State obsession and continuous attempts to change the subject.

September 01, 2009, 05:10:21 PM
Reply #48

BMWJhawk

This is what I love about you Ben.   When you don't really have a point, you bring up something that has nothing at all to do with the actual theme of the conversation.   It's like me mentioning the fact that Lew Perkins hates Mark Mangino's copious guts (and the feeling is mutual) while discussing the status of how far down the Big 12 North has been relatively speaking since 2004.

The last I checked, K-State's football budget hasn't been cut one dime, and so far not one penny has been paid to Ron Prince relative to the contract dispute, so that doesn't have anything to do with anything relative to this discussion.

But don't let that stop your K-State obsession and continuous attempts to change the subject.

You were critiquing my use of the word "kill," so I wanted to clarify what I meant by that.  Mangino's (and Pinkel's) domination of K-State led to the firing of Prince after only three seasons.  Essentially, Mangino and Pinkel are responsible for the situation K-State is in right now.  If Prince had been able to beat ku or Mizzou, he wouldn't have been fired, and wouldn't be suing K-State for $6 million.

As for Perkins and Mangino, I'm sure Perkins would like to make a big-time hire before he leaves ku.  If Mangino goes 6-6 next year, his job will be on the line.  That's true.  No one's denying that Perkins and Mangino have had their differences.  Still, the issue is irrelevant if Mangino continues to recruit well and win bowl games.  If Mangino continues to beat K-State and Mizzou, while elevating ku's program to new heights, he'll have the support of the fans as well as the administration.

September 01, 2009, 05:26:36 PM
Reply #49

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Mangino and Pinkie beating Prince had only a part in K-State firing Prince.   If K-State goes out and losses 28-24 in Lawrence last year and doesn't field the worst defense ever at K-State (and that's saying a lot) than he likely doesn't get fired.   But it didn't take a Shula/Lombardi/Hayes/Bryant/Paterno clone to figure out that Ron Prince really didn't have a clue and was in way over his head.     If K-State goes 5-7 last year losing Big 12 games against good offenses 31-24 and actually tackles people, and looks like they actually have a semblance of a clue on defense . . . Ron Prince is likely still coaching at K-State.   The ku game last year was simply the final straw, it wasn't the be all and end all in terms of why Prince got canned.   Hell, if K-State had a 80th rated defense they likely go 7-5 and end up in a bowl game. 

September 01, 2009, 07:04:38 PM
Reply #50

WillieWannabe

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    I may be full of sh*t, but i won't be de-turd.
Mangino and Pinkie beating Prince had only a part in K-State firing Prince.   If K-State goes out and losses 28-24 in Lawrence last year and doesn't field the worst defense ever at K-State (and that's saying a lot) than he likely doesn't get fired.   But it didn't take a Shula/Lombardi/Hayes/Bryant/Paterno clone to figure out that Ron Prince really didn't have a clue and was in way over his head.     If K-State goes 5-7 last year losing Big 12 games against good offenses 31-24 and actually tackles people, and looks like they actually have a semblance of a clue on defense . . . Ron Prince is likely still coaching at K-State.   The ku game last year was simply the final straw, it wasn't the be all and end all in terms of why Prince got canned.   Hell, if K-State had a 80th rated defense they likely go 7-5 and end up in a bowl game. 

That's not why he was fired...He was fired because he is black. DUH!!
I walk out of that tunnel in this building and the passion of our fans, just gets me going. I mean just gives me an adrenaline rush that you guys just don't understand. - Frank Martin

September 01, 2009, 07:40:23 PM
Reply #51

Stupid Fitz

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I don't mean to be stupid

Can we set up a fund for a death match between you two?  Oh yeah, is there any way you can both win/lose at the same time?  I'll throw in a hundred.

TIA

September 02, 2009, 12:52:32 AM
Reply #52

The Kaiser

• Cub

KSU died when Missouri and Kansas started taking football seriously?  Are you really that stupid?  Missouri has been the exact same program for the past 15 years.  The difference is, Iowa State and Colorado are not winning 7-9 games, and KSU and Nebraska aren't winning 10-11 games.  The Tigers finished 8-4, 5-3 in 1998 with a top 25 ranked team, compared to finishing 10-4, 5-3 again ranked, in 2008.  Missouri has simply sustained their level of mediocrity.  One difference, the rest of the division sucks.  Apply the same logic, and you might be able to understand ku's "rise".

BTW, we have seen this before, lets be honest.  Glen Mason took ku to a couple of bowls and had ku ranked in the 90's, and the dumbass fanbase was talking trash back then too, but of course it is more convenient to claim ku didn't "take football seriously" rather than admit KSU was kicking your ass.  Easy argument to make, but the bottom line is ku hired Terry Allen proclaiming he was 1-0 v. KSU and then fired him for his failures against KSU.  Then, ku hires a former KSU assistant who modeled his entire program after KSU, down to the coach speak and uniforms.  GMAFB BM, you know who your daddy is...

September 02, 2009, 01:36:12 AM
Reply #53

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
KSU died when Missouri and Kansas started taking football seriously?  Are you really that stupid?  Missouri has been the exact same program for the past 15 years.  The difference is, Iowa State and Colorado are not winning 7-9 games, and KSU and Nebraska aren't winning 10-11 games.  The Tigers finished 8-4, 5-3 in 1998 with a top 25 ranked team, compared to finishing 10-4, 5-3 again ranked, in 2008.  Missouri has simply sustained their level of mediocrity.  One difference, the rest of the division sucks.  Apply the same logic, and you might be able to understand ku's "rise".

BTW, we have seen this before, lets be honest.  Glen Mason took ku to a couple of bowls and had ku ranked in the 90's, and the dumbass fanbase was talking trash back then too, but of course it is more convenient to claim ku didn't "take football seriously" rather than admit KSU was kicking your ass.  Easy argument to make, but the bottom line is ku hired Terry Allen proclaiming he was 1-0 v. KSU and then fired him for his failures against KSU.  Then, ku hires a former KSU assistant who modeled his entire program after KSU, down to the coach speak and uniforms.  GMAFB BM, you know who your daddy is...

I still have a "41-7, Who's Overrated Now?" Shirt somewhere...  Not sure I agree with you about the unis though.  No way Synds would have let his player's be seen in that Adidas crap uk is sporting this year.

September 02, 2009, 12:42:21 PM
Reply #54

BMWJhawk

Stadium expansion would provide unprecedented $40M for ku academics

LAWRENCE — Revenue from a proposed club-seating addition on the east side of Memorial Stadium would be directed to a $40 million commitment by Kansas Athletics Inc. to academic programs at the University of Kansas, Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and Athletics Director Lew Perkins announced today.

The project, which requires approval from the Kansas Board of Regents, has been submitted for inclusion on the regents’ Sept. 16-17 meeting agenda.

“I’m pleased to support this project because of its unprecedented $40 million investment in academics,” said Gray-Little. “Collegiate athletics provides a number of benefits to universities, both tangible and intangible, but there can be no question about the tremendous value of this commitment to ku students, teachers and researchers. I thank Athletics Director Lew Perkins for making this commitment, which shows how success on the field can translate into direct support for the academic mission.”

Gray-Little said specific allocations of the $40 million investment were yet to be determined, but it would support students, faculty and academic programs. She has identified increasing the undergraduate graduation rate, enhancing ku’s scholarly and research profile and securing additional resources as the three initial goals she intends to pursue as chancellor.

The Gridiron Club would be housed in a tower on the east side of Memorial Stadium and would seat some 3,000 fans. It is designed to complement the existing west side scholarship suites and enhance the appearance of the stadium from neighborhoods to the east.

Revenues from the sale of seats in the club are expected to finance the project’s $34 million construction cost and the $40 million commitment to academic programs. Pricing and other details on seating in the club will be announced at a later date.

“We are impressed with Chancellor Gray-Little’s vision for the University of Kansas and want to do our part to make it a reality,” said Perkins. “Everyone at Kansas Athletics believes that the academic success of the university is paramount, so we’re excited to make this investment in the future academic success of ku. We encourage others to invest in the future of this great university.”

September 02, 2009, 12:52:17 PM
Reply #55

The Kaiser

• Cub

hopefully it will include barca-loungers and engravings of mediocre running backs cannonized by Billie D Williams. Maybe you could add Tamarick Vanover and Bam Morris while you are at it, they are HOF worthy by your criteria and do have a connection  ;) with ku football.  Plus, those pre-season Big 12 North co-champs banners will only add to the decadance...

September 02, 2009, 12:55:44 PM
Reply #56

The Kaiser

• Cub

I think ISU just did $40M for luxury boxes at Jack Trice, ku may be catching up!

Actually, I just checked, they did $33M for luxury boxes and are currenty underway with a separate $55M expansion, so you are still behind.  Sorry.  But, we know that Billie D will fix it.

Monster I tell ya, Monster...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:58:24 PM by The Kaiser »

September 02, 2009, 01:21:46 PM
Reply #57

BMWJhawk

September 23, 2010, 11:04:40 PM
Reply #58

kasper

• Cub

• Chicago real estate
>It sounds like the engine was fairly well protected by who ever had it >before.
>
>Please keep posting on how well this goes
>
>Dusty

Oh man was it ever!! The old-timer that I bought the donor truck from had installed two oil coolers, two oil filters, SIX in-line fuel filters each with an increasingly finer rating, a water seperator, and a COOLANT filter. He also installed an emergency system to spray water on the front of the radiator, but he never had to use it.
And he only put 40,000 miles on the motor!! He parked it in 1995 and let the registration lapse. August 2002 I come along, ask him to start it, and with a new battery it starts in seconds. Runs like a dream. One of the smoothest revving engines I've ever had the privilege to sit behind. What a find!! (can you tell i'm excited?)
Anyway, once I get rid of the donor truck, which is now just a rolling chassis, I can get started on the actual installation. I'v got the motor mounts planned out pretty well (all four of them), and since I already have a compatible bellhousing and transmission, I think the installation should be pretty smooth. I need to figure out some noise insulation, though, cause that motor is LOUD.