Date: 26/04/24 - 13:25 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: More love for the 'Hawks  (Read 5698 times)

July 29, 2009, 08:21:06 AM
Read 5698 times

BMWJhawk

Rivals ranks ku #16 overall in their preseason top 25. 

:dancin:

July 29, 2009, 08:28:46 AM
Reply #1

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Wow only 16 and it's rivals no less.

:'byecruelworld:

How's the 2009 Pre-Season Big 12 North Championship banner coming Ben . . . they just about have that thing ready to hang??

:squawkgoalpost:

July 29, 2009, 08:36:37 AM
Reply #2

stormnut

• Premium Member
  • Cub

Time to hang the banner. :dancin:

July 29, 2009, 08:39:58 AM
Reply #3

BMWJhawk

Just a few short years ago, a top 25 preseason ranking for ku football would have seemed pretty far-fetched.  Amazing what Mangino and the ku coaching staff have done with this football program.

:love:

July 29, 2009, 09:05:44 AM
Reply #4

PowercatPat

• Senior Cub

Too bad ku has to actually play the season. You are just one pathetic kid, Ben.

:squawkgoalpost:

July 29, 2009, 09:20:29 AM
Reply #5

Legore

• Premium Member
  • Cub

Just a few short years ago, a top 25 preseason ranking for ku football would have seemed pretty far-fetched.  Amazing what Mangino and the ku coaching staff have done with this football program.

It is really more amazing that ku was as bad as they were for as long as they were.  You could say the same thing about KSU as well pre Snyder though things were much more slanted against schools like KSU back then. 

Never understand why people call it a miracle or amazing over the fact that a school in the big 12 is on some people's preseason top 25 list.  Stanford and Northwestern have played in the Rose Bowl, Wake Forest and Cincinati in the Orange Bowl, Hawai in the Sugar Bowl, Utah won the Sugar Bowl and Boise State won the Fiesta.  It's not 1985 anymore people the scholarship limit is 85 and everbody gets on national TV.  I think every team in the big 12 except Baylor has been ranked at one point in time it really isn't amazing what Mangino has done it's called the law of averages. 

July 29, 2009, 09:39:28 AM
Reply #6

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU
Its OK benny - when uk starts playing the meat of their schedule, their ranking will drop faster than a French prize fighter.

July 29, 2009, 09:44:37 AM
Reply #7

Bookcat

• Scout Team Wildcat

ku will climb to as high as the Top 10 imho...after that big superbowl against Duke......

..and then......uh oh....

@ OU
@ Texas Tech
Texas
"You guys want answers that are conversations between John and I. I ain't worried about it. I'm living the dream.... When I start worrying about a contract, I'd be cheating the kids and not doing my job." - Frank Martin

July 29, 2009, 09:54:12 AM
Reply #8

Guscat

• Cub

Expect the ku marketing machine go into overdrive after the cupcake portion of the schedule (first 5 games).  ku should go 5-0, no surprise there.  Look for the hype for Reesing to be a Heisman candidate, and look for Lew to milk the fanbase for as much $$$ as possible.  I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's so predictable. 

The fans will be going crazy, and trash talking anyone who will listen.  This will be the classic "bragging phase" of ku athletic fans.  Look for the words of "legendary", "powerhouse", etc., etc.  BMWJhawk (a pretentious car and a pretentious school moniker all rolled into one) will be posting tons of bragging on this weblog.

Then, then, it all comes crashing down.  ku gets their hats handed to them by OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado, and at least one loss at the hands of KSU, Mizzou, and Nebraska.  Look for at least 4 losses, maybe 5.

Then we'll see the classic "whining phase" of ku athletic fans.  "We would have won, except for ___ and ___ bad call by the officials", or "we got screwed in Manhattan", or some other comparable whining. 

Then, watch KSU, by virtue of an easier schedule, finish ahead of ku in the conference, fulfilling Phil Steele's predictions.

Go 'Cats!

July 29, 2009, 10:13:00 AM
Reply #9

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
Expect the ku marketing machine go into overdrive after the cupcake portion of the schedule (first 5 games).  ku should go 5-0, no surprise there.  Look for the hype for Reesing to be a Heisman candidate, and look for Lew to milk the fanbase for as much $$$ as possible.  I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's so predictable. 

The fans will be going crazy, and trash talking anyone who will listen.  This will be the classic "bragging phase" of ku athletic fans.  Look for the words of "legendary", "powerhouse", etc., etc.  BMWJhawk (a pretentious car and a pretentious school moniker all rolled into one) will be posting tons of bragging on this weblog.

Then, then, it all comes crashing down.  ku gets their hats handed to them by OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado, and at least one loss at the hands of KSU, Mizzou, and Nebraska.  Look for at least 4 losses, maybe 5.

Then we'll see the classic "whining phase" of ku athletic fans.  "We would have won, except for ___ and ___ bad call by the officials", or "we got screwed in Manhattan", or some other comparable whining. 

Then, watch KSU, by virtue of an easier schedule, finish ahead of ku in the conference, fulfilling Phil Steele's predictions.

Go 'Cats!

I think you forgot the phase where all the uk football "fans" begin looking forward to basketball season.  I think it's somewhere around the Texas Tech game.  I believe it's known as the acceptance phase.

July 29, 2009, 10:44:37 AM
Reply #10

Guscat

• Cub

I disagree, but respect your knowledge of how ordinary fans conduct themselves.  ku fans stay in denial, thus their incessant bragging about ku football "tradition", which would be embarrasing to most universities.

July 29, 2009, 10:49:02 AM
Reply #11

JTKSU

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Gettin' angried up!!!
I disagree, but respect your knowledge of how ordinary fans conduct themselves.  ku fans stay in denial, thus their incessant bragging about ku football "tradition", which would be embarrasing to most universities.

I gotta disagree with you on this particular point, Guscat.  Every uk fan on this board eventually reverts back to the tried and true "yeah, well uk has one X amount of NCs in basketball" at some point when discussing football.  It takes Ben a bit longer than most to use this "logic" but other fans will fall back on it after only a handful of responses.

July 29, 2009, 11:51:54 AM
Reply #12

KSUTOMMY

• Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    The "other" KSU

I gotta disagree with you on this particular point, Guscat.  Every uk fan on this board eventually reverts back to the tried and true "yeah, well uk has one X amount of NCs in basketball" at some point when discussing football.  It takes Ben a bit longer than most to use this "logic" but other fans will fall back on it after only a handful of responses.

I am leaning heavily with JT - it is inevitable that uknation reverts back to roundball when the wheels fall off of the football wagon. It is very predictable.

July 29, 2009, 12:35:16 PM
Reply #13

EmporiaWildcat

• Cub

Rivals ranks ku #16 overall in their preseason top 25. 

:dancin:

Last time I checked, they don't give trophies for pre-season top 25.  Especially when given by rivals.  Seriously? Rivals?  Go hang a banner you fool.

A couple of years ago, K-State was ranked #22 in the pre-season poll by Playboy.  I think we finished 5-7 that year, and 3-5 in the conference.

Note the jaytards (just made that up):  pre-season ranks don't mean sheet.
I'd much rather have a 69 year old coach than one that weighs 400+ pounds.

July 29, 2009, 12:39:27 PM
Reply #14

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!
Good luck with Texas & OU! LOL!

July 29, 2009, 12:42:24 PM
Reply #15

RK28

• Cub

July 29, 2009, 12:45:57 PM
Reply #16

Cole

• Cub

"more no one really gives a sh1t from the k-State Fans"

July 29, 2009, 12:49:37 PM
Reply #17

EmporiaWildcat

• Cub

"and K-State plays just one bowl team from last season in its first eight games. "

Lone bright spot?
I'd much rather have a 69 year old coach than one that weighs 400+ pounds.

July 29, 2009, 01:11:37 PM
Reply #18

Guscat

• Cub

I am leaning heavily with JT - it is inevitable that uknation reverts back to roundball when the wheels fall off of the football wagon. It is very predictable.

Well, I have to admit, there has been basketball mentioned...in a KSU football message board.

July 29, 2009, 01:43:24 PM
Reply #19

MadCat

July 29, 2009, 03:17:05 PM
Reply #20

Catmatt

Go 'Cats!

I think you forgot the phase where all the uk football "fans" begin looking forward to basketball season.  I think it's somewhere around the Texas Tech game.  I believe it's known as the acceptance phase.

Texas Tech game is exactly right.  Check out 06:22 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBCx5VEUoK0

July 29, 2009, 04:20:32 PM
Reply #21

BMWJhawk

Guscat... you've already won your powertard of the month award, dude.  No need to keep stroking the EMAW boner.  Just accept reality and prepare yourself for the absolute ass beating that ku is going to lay on K-State next season.

:thumbsup:

July 29, 2009, 04:54:12 PM
Reply #22

McGrowlTowelZac

• Premium Member
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    This ZERO is my Hero
Guscat... you've already won your powertard of the month award, dude.  No need to keep stroking the EMAW boner.  Just accept reality and prepare yourself for the absolute ass beating that ku is going to lay on K-State next season.

:thumbsup:
:ohno:

July 29, 2009, 05:26:31 PM
Reply #23

Jayhawk4life

• Wannabe Rivals with KSU !
  • Cub

all kstate fans are losers

July 29, 2009, 06:03:14 PM
Reply #24

sonofdaxjones

• All American

July 29, 2009, 06:10:31 PM
Reply #25

BMWJhawk

It is really more amazing that ku was as bad as they were for as long as they were.  You could say the same thing about KSU as well pre Snyder though things were much more slanted against schools like KSU back then. 

Never understand why people call it a miracle or amazing over the fact that a school in the big 12 is on some people's preseason top 25 list.  Stanford and Northwestern have played in the Rose Bowl, Wake Forest and Cincinati in the Orange Bowl, Hawai in the Sugar Bowl, Utah won the Sugar Bowl and Boise State won the Fiesta.  It's not 1985 anymore people the scholarship limit is 85 and everbody gets on national TV.  I think every team in the big 12 except Baylor has been ranked at one point in time it really isn't amazing what Mangino has done it's called the law of averages. 

Wow.... talk about full blown denial.  What Mangino has done at ku is nothing short of amazing.  When Mangino took over, there were maybe 2-3 guys on ku's roster who belonged at the Big 12 level.  To go from that point to winning BCS Bowls, NCOY awards, and being ranked top 25 in nearly every preseason poll is quite the accomplishment.  There was an article on ku recruiting that talked about how ku is gaining a solid reputation with coaches and recruits in the Dallas Metroplex.  ku has more Dallas guys on its roster than Oklahoma State, Nebraska, and several other big name schools.  Mangino has elevated ku's football program to the point where the coaching staff is starting to become selective with the recruiting process and sign guys who have some big-time offers.  Toben Oporum, the 4-star running back prospect out of Texas, signed with ku over schools such as Notre Dame and Florida. 

July 29, 2009, 06:23:33 PM
Reply #26

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Oh geez . . . the Bentard has taken the "guys are committing to us but we're backing off" propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Gee Ben .  . . you don't think that's maybe because ku only has about 16 rides to give in the next class do you??  

Damn . . . I am hearby renaming you Goebbels.

It sure is easy to build a program when you play arguably the easiest 2 season stretch since the inception of the Big 12. 

Final Top 25 teams played in the regular season 2006-2007 . . . 1 :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:25:55 PM by sonofdaxjones »

July 29, 2009, 07:08:15 PM
Reply #27

Babytears

The teams ku beat that year would have had better rankings if ku hadn't, you know, beaten them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:24:22 PM by Babytears »

July 29, 2009, 11:10:45 PM
Reply #28

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Nope . . . not really, most if not all would've had AT LEAST 5 losses.

July 30, 2009, 03:12:37 PM
Reply #29

PowercatPat

• Senior Cub

Wow.... talk about full blown denial.  What Mangino has done at ku is nothing short of amazing.  When Mangino took over, there were maybe 2-3 guys on ku's roster who belonged at the Big 12 level.  To go from that point to winning BCS Bowls, NCOY awards, and being ranked top 25 in nearly every preseason poll is quite the accomplishment.  There was an article on ku recruiting that talked about how ku is gaining a solid reputation with coaches and recruits in the Dallas Metroplex.  ku has more Dallas guys on its roster than Oklahoma State, Nebraska, and several other big name schools.  Mangino has elevated ku's football program to the point where the coaching staff is starting to become selective with the recruiting process and sign guys who have some big-time offers.  Toben Oporum, the 4-star running back prospect out of Texas, signed with ku over schools such as Notre Dame and Florida. 

IIRC, Opurum signed with ku because he wanted to play RB. ND and Florida told him he would be a FB. What other guys had big-time offers that signed with ku besides Brooks?