Date: 25/04/24 - 19:24 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: The Posting Policy at KSUFANS.COM  (Read 2378 times)

April 25, 2006, 02:12:10 PM
Read 2378 times

mjrod

• Second String Wildcat

• MJROD Consulting Services, Inc
Every now and then, I get e-mails from members and guests who are concerned about the postings on this board and the content.  In one example, I got a message from an individual who lurks on the board that says, in a derogatory way, that we are a "more open board and allow much more colorful content" (I'm paraphrasing in contrast to the actual wording so it appears more politically correct - a direct violation of the board rules, but merely for illustration) and as such, he will just lurk rather than participate.

Folks, I need not remind you that posting on this board allows the free expression of ideas and commentary that you cannot find on other fan based message boards and the purpose of this board is simply to give all fans that ability to do so.

If you are a person who feels offended by the content of this board, don't hesitate to make it known to the people who post here.   We'd rather have a message board that allows you to share your offensiveness or offendedness, rather than hiding behind a board admin.  It's important that we all be up front.    Let's consider an example.   

If you were to post a message on, say, Phog.Net that ku sucks, or for that matter on KSUFans.com that KSU sucks, more than likely, you will be banned, or at the very minimum, have your posting privileges reduced down so that those who were offended and went whining to the board admins wont have to confront you and offer their responding opinion.   On this board, if you were to make such postings, then it's only fair that we allow the concepts of justice prevail that appear in the Constitution of the United States, that eloquent and inspiring document that created the Greatest Human nation the world has ever seen.  You have the right to speak your mind, and have the absolute right to defend yourself in front of your peers.  This is truly acceptable here on this forum.  And by doing so, you will be building a strong character you can use in your daily life that will allow you to better socialize with others.   Imagine the fun it would be to go up to someone at a cocktail party (or for those who are unfamiliar, a gathering at Hooters) and say "ku sucks." to a ku alum, and then get them to open up in spirited dialog.

Does that mean I don't want a "happy" board?  Of course not.  Nothing would please me more than to see the members of this board frolick about in happiness and serenity, saying nothing but good things about my alma mater.  This is not reality.  Everyone is different and we celebrate the diverse opinions that comprise the membership of this board, and that also means, if you participate here, you do so, understanding that people may disagree with your viewpoint, and say so rather pointedly.   Don't let this discourage you.

Message boards are not to be taken so seriously that you need to hang your life around them, but they are meant to satisfy the passion you have, and in this case, for the athletics at Kansas State (may God/Allah/The Creator/Divine Arbitor/Prophets/Blessed Exchequer give His blessing those who attend KSU.)  It's important that you remember this is a means for people who share a common interest to have fun and enjoy and to give them a place to express their passion.

So, for those of you who insist on sending me e-mails in private, criticizing the board as to it's content and posters, from now on, let's post those concerns on the message board directly.  Write your message, state your concerns, address those here who may have challenged your views or perceptions.  Do so, in the understanding, that you can get answers to those nagging questions about why certain posters are never happy, or why some seem to be in complete denial, or others who just can't help but cause trouble, or still, others who think ku is really an athletic school.   Let's all work together to increase our communications amongst each other, and if we are offended, let's share that offense, let's bring it to the table so that others can be enlightened, and let's use it to make this board a more vibrant community.

I hope this will help get many of our guests and anonymous lurkers to come forward and share in the rich tradition of this board.