Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 5124 times)

June 23, 2007, 08:04:52 PM
Reply #30

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
it is badass.

my sister always uses the sidekicks..she loves them.

the iphone..not designed for people with kids...like my other sister.

her life is a tornado of poop, diapers and burping.
Didn't you just say that it was a bad idea though?

yeah...but still badass.

bad idea cause when its really cold at a football game, im sure the LCD will suck ass.

when its really hot out, the sweat will cover that front plate and make it slippery..

etc...if you drop it...YIKES. liquid crystals will surely destroy the whole thing.
I see. I'll still be getting one..  :shy:

June 23, 2007, 10:05:50 PM
Reply #31

ew2x4

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    I'm with Coco.
Apple sucks. If people are willing to pay $600 for over hyped, under developed stuff, good for them. I've been working on OSX for the past 8 months at work. I can't stand apple and their emo followers.
ECN will kill you.

not all mac followers are emo. i, for one, cant stand emo. not my style.

can you define under-developed 'stuff?'

and OSX? wow, youre old school. the emo kids these days are using. OSX 10.4.9

im not getting into the PC vs. Mac..but the mac phone is a baaaaad idea. who needs this @#%$?

OS X in general was not ready for the switch to Intel and it shows. That's what I mean by under developed. In fact, Intellimacs still suck. I use it in my design studio (well, forced to) and it is much less reliable, much less affordable, and in general, a worse OS for me. I really hoped OS 10.4.10 (didn't you update Friday?) was the greatest OS ever like many had proclaimed it. I like the simplicity of the UI, but it is just not good enough for me. What do I mean by that? I need my nvidia drivers (on something better than a cruddy 7300GT) to be able to control my monitor's color, I need Adobe programs to not crash EVERY single time I touch them (even with CS3 and two reformats), I need random partition corruptions to NOT happen, I need a certain stability that even an infant OS like Vista can even provide. I know it's not all up to Apple how every program acts, but they need to kick especially Nvidia's and Adobe's ass into shape. For being "design hardware" it is missing significantly important items and stability. In fact, EVERY program I have used on OS X, except for Adium, has crashed. Not a good thing when you depend on this stuff for millions of dollars of work. There's even more stuff for me to go on about, but that's enough for now.

In terms of the company itself, they pride themselves on being innovators, but they're not. They take current technology and make it pretty. They started it with the mouse and UI, and now with Unix. That's not a bad thing, but don't make yourself out to be the greatest thing ever.

Not to mention I despise Steve Jobs' constant marketing lies. And his turtle neck.

Anyways, I honestly went in with high expectations, but it just doesn't do what I need.As for the iphone, I'm amazed people are going to get it. It's going to be interesting how it pans out. I have a feeling it will be more of a novelty for entertainment purposes than productivity. Steve even had issues typing on it.

June 23, 2007, 10:25:23 PM
Reply #32

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
Anyways, I honestly went in with high expectations, but it just doesn't do what I need.As for the iphone, I'm amazed people are going to get it. It's going to be interesting how it pans out. I have a feeling it will be more of a novelty for entertainment purposes than productivity. Steve even had issues typing on it.
I'll be honest. I don't know crap about technology. I just know that the iPhone will do what I want it to do.. I want my phone to be able to access the internet and have a crap ton of space for music. The iPhone seems to have that going for it. If I wanted a phone for productivity I would get a Blackberry.

June 23, 2007, 10:59:09 PM
Reply #33

konofo

• Cub

I'll be honest. I don't know @#%$ about technology. I just know that the iPhone will do what I want it to do.. I want my phone to be able to access the internet and have a @#%$ ton of space for music. The iPhone seems to have that going for it. If I wanted a phone for productivity I would get a Blackberry.

Let us know how that works out for you.  I predict you'll find the internet access slow as &@#%, and the touchscreen a chore to type on.  And 8GB just isn't a ton of space these days, but you should still be good for a couple thousand tracks.

kono

June 23, 2007, 11:02:52 PM
Reply #34

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
I'll be honest. I don't know @#%$ about technology. I just know that the iPhone will do what I want it to do.. I want my phone to be able to access the internet and have a @#%$ ton of space for music. The iPhone seems to have that going for it. If I wanted a phone for productivity I would get a Blackberry.

but you should still be good for a couple thousand tracks.

kono
That's all I need on a cell phone..

June 24, 2007, 12:41:58 AM
Reply #35

ew2x4

• Classless Cat
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    I'm with Coco.
That's a good point, waks (the blackberry). I think the things that need to be done in order for it to be any good at what you want it to be are long battery life (they claim the battery life is longer than originally mentioned. We'll see how it is after a few months of use), speed (nobody wants a flashy UI if it will be slow to operate. If itunes is slow with the album flip art, I hope to God they were able to work something out), and the touch screen (If it's half as difficult as it seems to use, half of the features are worthless).

June 24, 2007, 02:13:55 PM
Reply #36

kougar24

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    shame on you, non-believers
The iPhone is too expensive to take over the world.

June 24, 2007, 04:03:04 PM
Reply #37

greasd up deaf guy

Apple sucks. If people are willing to pay $600 for over hyped, under developed stuff, good for them. I've been working on OSX for the past 8 months at work. I can't stand apple and their emo followers.
ECN will kill you.

im not getting into the PC vs. Mac..but the mac phone is a baaaaad idea. who needs this @#%$?
ECN is so emo. What a liar.

June 24, 2007, 04:57:00 PM
Reply #38

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
ECN will kill you.

ECN is so emo. What a liar.
I agree.

June 27, 2007, 12:56:06 PM
Reply #39

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
I hate you and your privileged existence waks.

srsly.
ksufanscopycat my friends.

June 27, 2007, 12:58:24 PM
Reply #40

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
I hate you and your privileged existence waks.

srsly.
New SUV tomorrow.  :dancin: KatKid, would it be weird if I posted on your wall on facebook? I've been really tempted because I've been wanting to find out the next time you'll be at Chipotle. I've vowed to not get a burrito made by anyone other than you from this point on and I've really been craving one. Please go post in your thread. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:03:04 PM by waks »

June 27, 2007, 12:59:42 PM
Reply #41

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
I like you waks, because I have high self-esteem.

June 27, 2007, 01:02:55 PM
Reply #42

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
self-esteem.

meh.

June 27, 2007, 01:05:38 PM
Reply #43

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan

June 27, 2007, 01:18:02 PM
Reply #44

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
I got love for ya young'n.  Just live it up whilst still imbibing the nurturing nutrition of the largess that flows from your mother's breast full of benjis.  You're living the dream.

June 27, 2007, 01:20:55 PM
Reply #45

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
I got love for ya young'n.  Just live it up whilst still imbibing the nurturing nutrition of the largess that flows from your mother's breast full of benjis.  You're living the dream.
I'm thinking about going down to CopyCo and applying for a job there just for the hell of it. What do you think?

June 27, 2007, 01:23:29 PM
Reply #46

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
You sure as hell don't need the money except if you want to pick up a rec. drug habit.

Copy Co.?

I'd pick something trendier or somewhere with better discounts/freebies.

Think Athletic shoes in the mall, aggieville stores like:  thread, acme gifts or r/r SoS Wildside

June 27, 2007, 01:26:34 PM
Reply #47

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan
You sure as hell don't need the money except if you want to pick up a rec. drug habit.

Copy Co.?

Think Athletic shoes in the mall, aggieville stores like:  thread, acme gifts or r/r SoS Wildside
Dude, I would just get hired and see how long it took me to get fired.. It would be completely for my entertainment.. Do you know of any places other than Copy Co. that are hiring for a position I might actually want to keep?

June 27, 2007, 01:29:09 PM
Reply #48

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW

Copy Co.?

Dude, I would just get hired and see how long it took me to get fired.. It would be completely for my entertainment.. Do you know of any places other than Copy Co. that are hiring for a position I might actually want to keep?

Do your parents traffic drugs?  Honest question.

June 27, 2007, 01:31:38 PM
Reply #49

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan

Copy Co.?

Haha, no... We do own a bunch of wheat fields that my mom pays my uncle to farm for us..

June 27, 2007, 01:33:36 PM
Reply #50

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW

Copy Co.?

Haha, no... We do own a bunch of wheat weed fields that my mom pays my uncle to farm for us..

June 27, 2007, 01:34:35 PM
Reply #51

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan

Copy Co.?

Haha, no... We do own a bunch of wheat weed fields that my mom pays my uncle to farm for us..
Haha, it didn't take you long to make the connection. Just don't tell any law enforcement figures. I still want my Rav4..

June 27, 2007, 06:00:44 PM
Reply #52

Dan Rydell

• Senior Cub

Jeez, waks.  You and I want the same things.  iPhone.  RAV4.  Chipotle burritos.  Scary.

Regarding the iPhone:

I have AT&T (nee Cingular).  It's always worked fine for me when I've been back in Manhattan. 

You can't buy the iPhone at franchised AT&T stores or places like Best Buy that may sell AT&T plans.  You can only buy them at corporate AT&T stores and Apple stores.  There appear to be corporate AT&T stores in Topeka and Lawrence, as well as KC.  I believe there's an Apple store on the Plaza.  http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhone.jsp

I read an extensive market analysis of the iPhone the other day and it predicted that an improved model will be released in Europe later this year, with a further improved model to be released in Asia sometime in the spring of next year.  That's because those areas are so far ahead of the US technologically that Apple will have to add 3G support, video camera capabilities, and other features that are standard in those areas in order to sell enough units there.  So the guy predicted that we would see iPhone v2 in the US next summer.  He said that that will be the iPhone really worth getting.

I saw today that current AT&T customers can upgrade to the iPhone with no penalties.  Also, there's a 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee.  So I was thinking about getting one to play with for a couple of weeks and returning it. 

June 27, 2007, 06:24:48 PM
Reply #53

Kat Kid

• Administrator
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    warm up the EMAW
Jeez, waks.  You and I want the same things.  iPhone.  RAV4.  Chipotle burritos.  Scary.

Regarding the iPhone:

I have AT&T (nee Cingular).  It's always worked fine for me when I've been back in Manhattan. 

You can't buy the iPhone at franchised AT&T stores or places like Best Buy that may sell AT&T plans.  You can only buy them at corporate AT&T stores and Apple stores.  There appear to be corporate AT&T stores in Topeka and Lawrence, as well as KC.  I believe there's an Apple store on the Plaza.  http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhone.jsp

I read an extensive market analysis of the iPhone the other day and it predicted that an improved model will be released in Europe later this year, with a further improved model to be released in Asia sometime in the spring of next year.  That's because those areas are so far ahead of the US technologically that Apple will have to add 3G support, video camera capabilities, and other features that are standard in those areas in order to sell enough units there.  So the guy predicted that we would see iPhone v2 in the US next summer.  He said that that will be the iPhone really worth getting.

I saw today that current AT&T customers can upgrade to the iPhone with no penalties.  Also, there's a 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee.  So I was thinking about getting one to play with for a couple of weeks and returning it. 

except you're a lawyer and he's an unemployed, not in summer school, college student.

June 27, 2007, 07:04:03 PM
Reply #54

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    (worst non-premium poster at ksufans.com)
the battery lasts about a year and  can't be replaced.
when it dies (much in the same way my car battery died tonight on the way home from work), you have to send it back to apple.  it would be cool to be without your phone for 3 weeks while apple installs a new one.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

June 27, 2007, 07:27:54 PM
Reply #55

Dan Rydell

• Senior Cub

when it dies (much in the same way my car battery died tonight on the way home from work), you have to send it back to apple.  it would be cool to be without your phone for 3 weeks while apple installs a new one.

Oh yeah, that's another thing the guy said.  Replaceable battery will probably also be on the way.

Also, he says that SMS is so huge elsewhere (students sending 100+ texts a day) that Apple is probably going to have to add a keypad.

Not that I'm getting an iPhone, but I wonder if I did, if I could switch back to my old phone while it was in the shop...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:29:37 PM by bslimz »

June 27, 2007, 07:49:59 PM
Reply #56

waks

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    KSU Super Fan

Regarding the iPhone:

Do that. And then tell me how it is. Then I will decide if I will get it or not.

June 27, 2007, 10:42:37 PM
Reply #57

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text

Oh yeah, that's another thing the guy said.  Replaceable battery will probably also be on the way.

Also, he says that SMS is so huge elsewhere (students sending 100+ texts a day) that Apple is probably going to have to add a keypad.

Not that I'm getting an iPhone, but I wonder if I did, if I could switch back to my old phone while it was in the shop...
since the iphone doesnt allow for a SIM card, I don't think you can switch phones while your other one is in teh shop.  other GSM phones allow you to do that but in an effort to further control their customers, apple excluded the SIM card from its iphone.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

June 27, 2007, 11:18:32 PM
Reply #58

konofo

• Cub

since the iphone doesnt allow for a SIM card, I don't think you can switch phones while your other one is in teh shop.  other GSM phones allow you to do that but in an effort to further control their customers, apple excluded the SIM card from its iphone.

I've heard both sides on that rumor, but as of Tuesday, the New York Times indicates there will be a SIM slot.  The review seems like a reasonably balanced read if you're contemplating pulling the trigger.

kono

June 27, 2007, 11:43:12 PM
Reply #59

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
i didnt see anything in the NYT review indicating SIM or non-SIM - but the last rumor I heard is that it will have a SIM card unique to iPhone

they (apple and att) want these things locked and on ATT's network and i'm confident they engineered a way to ensure that happens