Date: 20/05/24 - 20:33 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Drop Baseball, Men's Track and Men's XC.  (Read 3020 times)

May 29, 2008, 01:49:46 PM
Reply #30

cas

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Sniff Sniff. . . I smell Heisman.
Wrestling is a terrible, terrible sport.  Its boring, spreads disease, and all high school wrestlers talk about is how wrestling is "harder" than basketball.  Hey, go drain your cauliflower ear idiot.
played both sports, wrestling is indeed harder in many aspects. btw, keep being a dumbass.

How's that ringworm?  Wrestlers are just disgusting human beings.

QFT.

Why anybody would choose to do that sport is beyond me.
csourk is the best pre-college poster on this board.  way better than oxlp956

May 29, 2008, 02:13:32 PM
Reply #31

Pete

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hicks
Wrestling is a terrible, terrible sport.  Its boring, spreads disease, and all high school wrestlers talk about is how wrestling is "harder" than basketball.  Hey, go drain your cauliflower ear idiot.
played both sports, wrestling is indeed harder in many aspects. btw, keep being a dumbass.

Wrestling is much, much more difficult than basketball.  However, it is also gross.

You don't have to be gay to wrestle, but it doesn't hurt....and wrestling doesn't make you gay, but it doesn't help.

May 29, 2008, 02:19:09 PM
Reply #32

pwrcat1

• Cub

wrestling is kinda like RHPS or BW Project.  its hard to see why people really love it, or even like it. for some reason they do though, and in the mid-west there is enough of them that it could really flourish at k-state.

May 29, 2008, 04:59:36 PM
Reply #33

catdude33

Wrestling is much, much more difficult than basketball.  However, it is also gross.

Just because wrestling is more painful doesn't necessarily mean that it's more difficult.  It would be really easy to punch myself in the face with a hammer.

May 29, 2008, 05:43:40 PM
Reply #34

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
Just because wrestling is more painful doesn't necessarily mean that it's more difficult.  It would be really easy to punch myself in the face with a hammer.

L0L
<---------Click the ball

May 29, 2008, 07:33:42 PM
Reply #35

pwrcat1

• Cub

seriously, i dont know how many thousands of times ive had to listen to wrestlers use the argument that extreme physical exertion makes the sport harder/more difficult.  thats usually about the time i shake my head and walk away. 

but hey at least, with that mindset, we shouldn't have a problem filling up our manual labor jobs for the rest of their lifetime. :woohoo:

May 29, 2008, 07:45:18 PM
Reply #36

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
Wrestling is not even close to being harder than basketball. Holy God.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

May 29, 2008, 07:46:41 PM
Reply #37

pwrcat1

• Cub

QFGDT!

May 30, 2008, 08:40:24 AM
Reply #38

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
I've never met someone who wrestled competitively that I can have a conversation with.  Usually the retardiest or the retardedy in my experience. 
<---------Click the ball

May 30, 2008, 01:53:30 PM
Reply #39

CatsNShocks

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    There's a new sheriff in town.
Who else remembers the "Co-ed naked lacrosse" t-shirts from the 80's?

"Ruff, Tuff, and in the Buff!"
 :tongue:

May 30, 2008, 03:55:23 PM
Reply #40

kstate16

• Cub

i love how everyone says it can't be harder but they have never done it competitively. everyone plays f*cking basketball.  the only hard sh*t is running. in wrestling there's also running, maybe not as much, but there's also cutting weight, wrestling after cutting weight, the wrestling itself, being an individual sport (fatty u have to appreciate that with u being a "hardcore" tennis player") and having no one to blame but yourself.

you're right, i always asked why i f*cking did that sport. to be honest, i kinda hated it. but nothing could beat being able to woop some kids ass without getting in trouble.  you don't have to like it, few people do, but at least respect it.

May 30, 2008, 03:59:11 PM
Reply #41

kstate16

• Cub

and for the record, in the 4 years  that i was in High School wrestling, only one kid on my team got ringworm, or anything like it. and he was a dirty kid. and none of us have caulaflower.

May 30, 2008, 04:00:38 PM
Reply #42

kstate16

• Cub

you're a fat tennis player, shut up.

May 30, 2008, 04:15:45 PM
Reply #43

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
cutting weight

Yeah. Great sport, dude.

Wrestling is on the same level of sport as bodybuilding.

Translation?

NOT A SPORT.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

June 02, 2008, 01:38:47 PM
Reply #44

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    (worst non-premium poster at ksufans.com)
sports i want at k-state-
men- lacrosse, karate kicking cinder blocks/stacks of ice/wood planks
women- soccer & field hockey

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

June 02, 2008, 06:37:18 PM
Reply #45

pwrcat1

• Cub

sports i want at k-state-
men- lacrosse, karate kicking cinder blocks/stacks of ice/wood planks
women- soccer & field hockey

willie would totally go nuts at these tourneys. 

June 02, 2008, 06:54:15 PM
Reply #46

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Okay, after a little thought (like 10 seconds) . . . set a timeline for baseball to make the NCAA tournament, say 3 more years.   No NCAA tournament by 2012, drop the program.   

June 02, 2008, 06:56:57 PM
Reply #47

pwrcat1

• Cub

hell, we'll still have the club team.  i say do it now.

June 04, 2008, 11:20:58 AM
Reply #48

Chingon

• Administrator
  • Senior Cub

• Personal Text
    Rey de los Chingones
How many more richy-rich boring-ass only sports can we squeeze into this discussion?

How about hackey-sack?
Or hockey?
Or Polo?
Or croquette?

I suppose we could scrounge the entire winter Olympics (you know the boring one)

Bit I agree the baseball program needs to tied to a tree and have its head bashed in with a shovel.

KSU should definitely have softball, but lacrosse is teh lame-o.

The real answer is of course swimming and diving, for all of the obvious reasons.

June 04, 2008, 01:06:11 PM
Reply #49

Brock Landers

• Cub

Wrestling is a horrible, filthy sport that should not be allowed beyond high school.  The dudes I knew in high school treated it almost like a cult.

Also, most of them pronounced it "rasslin' "

KSU Football:  We're getting the band back together

June 05, 2008, 10:45:02 PM
Reply #50

Rick Daris

• Administrator
  • Scout Team Wildcat

Wrestling shouldn't be a sport at kstate. They had it before and cut it (for a reason). I can't believe that anyone thinks it could draw in the thousands. It is pretty lame to watch and should never be considered a replacement for baseball which is actually somewhat enjoyable.

That being said I was a more than decent wrestler in highschool. When talking about which sport is "harder", I guess it depends on what you definition of harder is. Wrestling is hard in the fact that it sucks and after a match or meet or even some practices...you don't want to do anything for a day. Basketball or other sports are harder because they are more skilled and less people can probably do them well.

For the most part wrestlers suck at other sports and are an easy target because of it imo.

June 06, 2008, 08:41:31 PM
Reply #51

ksuno1stunner

• Premium Member
  • Cub

Why don't they just drop every women's sport except volleyball? :jeffy:

June 07, 2008, 03:14:28 AM
Reply #52

kstate16

• Cub

Wrestling shouldn't be a sport at kstate. They had it before and cut it (for a reason). I can't believe that anyone thinks it could draw in the thousands. It is pretty lame to watch and should never be considered a replacement for baseball which is actually somewhat enjoyable.

That being said I was a more than decent wrestler in highschool. When talking about which sport is "harder", I guess it depends on what you definition of harder is. Wrestling is hard in the fact that it sucks and after a match or meet or even some practices...you don't want to do anything for a day. Basketball or other sports are harder because they are more skilled and less people can probably do them well.

For the most part wrestlers suck at other sports and are an easy target because of it imo.
qft

being good at wrestling is partially skill, but a large majority of how long you have been doing it. but yes, it sucks ass.

June 07, 2008, 09:10:52 AM
Reply #53

FHSU92

• Premium Member
  • Senior Cub

Track should maybe be given a couple of more years to do something, since K-State actually has a little history, and had some world class talent come through over the years.   Hey, I was on the track team way back, but this complete inability to even challenge for a conference title is getting to be absurd. 

But baseball should get the ax immediately, it has hit its pinnacle, nice effort guys, but shut it down.  If you've been playing a sport for 100 years, and you've never once been in the competition that determines that sports ultimate champion, than the sports gods are sending you a clear signal.   

Move in the fences, and make TFS a women's softball facility. 

Start a wrestling program, I could see wrestling matches ultimately drawing 4-5-6,000 people.   A Lacrosse team would be exciting, it's a growing sport, and K-State could build a nice team IMO. 

It's time for a paradigm shift, why continue to throw money at sports who never, ever do anything, and nobody cares about?? 

K-State vs Ohio State in Lacrosse at Old Memorial Stadium . . . that would be exciting. 

Track should be axed because it doesn't generate revenue.  No one wants to pay to watch people run in a circle.

maybe not to run in a circle, but i'd damn sure pay to see the High Jump crew that trains under coach Rovelto. 6 guys with a personal best of 7' 6" 1/2 or better. They are in the top 8 in the US and top 25 in the world. Go to a meet some time and who knows, you might be watching a medalist from a past Oly games or a future champion.

Oh yeah, how about that coaching staff? Three Olympians, two of them being among the greatest CLEAN athletes to ever walk this planet, in other two of the greatest ever! Tom Pappas is the only man to ever jump over 7' in the high jump, 17' in the pole vault, and 26' in the long jump in the SAME meet. 

And that my friends is why our track is not competitive at the college level.  Any see who got 2nd-3rd in the 800 in b12's -- two FORMER wildcats now running for UT.  Clif puts all his eggs in Dec and HJ for Olympic purposes.   He's a USA coach at a university.  Instead of building a team he's developed a HJ & Dec Olympic program that other athletes train around.

As for Cross, it's amazing how  :flush: it's become over the past decade.  It once was one of the top B8 programs now its Wooly-ish and fights to stay off the bottom.  The question is...is it worth it/better to have 1 Christian Smith/Chesang or a competitive team?  Not saying it's impossible for both, but not likely.

Regardless, it would be cool to get soccer or lacross to use the old stadium.

June 07, 2008, 10:22:31 AM
Reply #54

sonofdaxjones

• All American

Track should maybe be given a couple of more years to do something, since K-State actually has a little history, and had some world class talent come through over the years.   Hey, I was on the track team way back, but this complete inability to even challenge for a conference title is getting to be absurd. 

But baseball should get the ax immediately, it has hit its pinnacle, nice effort guys, but shut it down.  If you've been playing a sport for 100 years, and you've never once been in the competition that determines that sports ultimate champion, than the sports gods are sending you a clear signal.   

Start a wrestling program, I could see wrestling matches ultimately drawing 4-5-6,000 people.   A Lacrosse team would be exciting, it's a growing sport, and K-State could build a nice team IMO. 

It's time for a paradigm shift, why continue to throw money at sports who never, ever do anything, and nobody cares about?? 

K-State vs Ohio State in Lacrosse at Old Memorial Stadium . . . that would be exciting. 

Track should be axed because it doesn't generate revenue.  No one wants to pay to watch people run in a circle.

maybe not to run in a circle, but i'd damn sure pay to see the High Jump crew that trains under coach Rovelto. 6 guys with a personal best of 7' 6" 1/2 or better. They are in the top 8 in the US and top 25 in the world. Go to a meet some time and who knows, you might be watching a medalist from a past Oly games or a future champion.

Oh yeah, how about that coaching staff? Three Olympians, two of them being among the greatest CLEAN athletes to ever walk this planet, in other two of the greatest ever! Tom Pappas is the only man to ever jump over 7' in the high jump, 17' in the pole vault, and 26' in the long jump in the SAME meet. 

And that my friends is why our track is not competitive at the college level.  Any see who got 2nd-3rd in the 800 in b12's -- two FORMER wildcats now running for UT.  Clif puts all his eggs in Dec and HJ for Olympic purposes.   He's a USA coach at a university.  Instead of building a team he's developed a HJ & Dec Olympic program that other athletes train around.

As for Cross, it's amazing how  :flush: it's become over the past decade.  It once was one of the top B8 programs now its Wooly-ish and fights to stay off the bottom.  The question is...is it worth it/better to have 1 Christian Smith/Chesang or a competitive team?  Not saying it's impossible for both, but not likely.

THANK YOU!!

It's Cliff's job to build a program to compete for conference titles and not for the now $3-$4 million dollars (new indoor track surface going in right now) that's been invested in track facilities in the last few years to be used for a couple of people to train to be possible Olympians.   

There's no excuse for K-State to have a XC team that brings up the bottom of the Big 12, even when K-State athletics didn't have $hit in terms of revenue from football, K-State still had good XC teams.  Now K-State fields the minimum number of sports, and will likely spend somewhere between $45-$50 million on sports this coming year.   No reason that ALL K-State teams shouldn't be competitive.

June 07, 2008, 04:32:49 PM
Reply #55

kstate16

• Cub

THANK YOU!!

It's Cliff's job to build a program to compete for conference titles and not for the now $3-$4 million dollars (new indoor track surface going in right now) that's been invested in track facilities in the last few years to be used for a couple of people to train to be possible Olympians.   

There's no excuse for K-State to have a XC team that brings up the bottom of the Big 12, even when K-State athletics didn't have $hit in terms of revenue from football, K-State still had good XC teams.  Now K-State fields the minimum number of sports, and will likely spend somewhere between $45-$50 million on sports this coming year.   No reason that ALL K-State teams shouldn't be competitive.
Hire SMNW XC coach Van Rose.  14 straight 6A kansas boys titles, and multiple girls titles, the dude can coach runners. but he loves teaching as well, an amazing calculus teacher. and he's pretty old.

i say just drop the effing sport or get tips from the legend himself.

June 08, 2008, 12:41:36 AM
Reply #56

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!
If we add men's tennis, I would cry.

Dido. I'd be a HUGE fan. I'd go to the matches.

June 08, 2008, 02:35:55 PM
Reply #57

FHSU92

• Premium Member
  • Senior Cub

THANK YOU!!

Hire SMNW XC coach Van Rose.  14 straight 6A kansas boys titles, and multiple girls titles, the dude can coach runners. but he loves teaching as well, an amazing calculus teacher. and he's pretty old.

i say just drop the effing sport or get tips from the legend himself.

The thing about XC is that it's cheap, thus a few bucks for a good coach and you could do well there and that will lead to more pts in I/O T&F (as most programs do not emphasize it).  Unfortunately, good HS coaches don't always translate to good college coaches.  I ran for coach Joe Schrag at TWHS (I don't think we ever lost to SMNW at State btw - maybe once out of four yrs) who said he would love to coach at the college if he didn't have to recruit.  Recruiting is the foundation of college athletics.  Granted success at the HS may lead to success at D1 (a la Frank Martin), but recruiting is the struggle -- especially now with soccer "taking away" some talented distance runners.

June 23, 2008, 09:36:36 PM
Reply #58

RU4KSU2

• Cub

Replace with:

Men's Lacrosse:  K-State could play in the Great Western Lacrosse League which is Air Force, Denver, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Quinnapiac and Bellarmine.   

Men's Tennis:  Per NCAA rules a school must have TWO sports that consists of both genders (K-State would have golf and tennis to meet that requirement). 

Wrestling

Women's Softball

Facilities:

Lacrosse:  Old Memorial Stadium (Only need to do some renovations on the West Side since the East Side is slated for a student enrollment/counseling center).   You're looking at about $1.5 million for offices and a dressing room. 

Wrestling:  Practice in Ahearn Gym, meets in Bramlage (basketball practice facility in place).   You're looking at $500-$700K for offices and dressing room. 

Tennis:  Same as the women, they would just need their own dressing room in Ahearn like the women, you're looking at $300K tops. 

Softball:  Just move the fences at TFS, some minor field revamping and take the urinals out of the dressing room

------------------------------

Lacrosse:  Gaining popularity . . . an early spring Saturday afternoon match against Notre Dame at old Memorial Stadium.  Think about it. 

Wrestling:  Would take its lumps, but there is high school wrestling in Kansas and natural rivalries in Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.  I suspect you could draw some pretty nice crowds for some of those matches. 

Softball:  Plenty of softball being played around the country, particularly in the Midwest, K-State would have a clear advantage on facilities over just about anybody right out of the gate. 

Are you trying to imply that softball players don't piss standing up? :confused: