Author Topic: Mike Leach suing ESPN  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Harry Dunne

• Fan
    • View Profile
Mike Leach suing ESPN
« on: November 24, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
LUBBOCK, Texas -- Former coach Mike Leach sued ESPN Inc. and a public relations firm on Wednesday, accusing them of libel and slander after he was fired by Texas Tech amid accusations that he mistreated a player suffering from a concussion.

The suit filed in Texas district court claims the network's coverage of Leach's firing last year was "willful and negligent defamation" and that it failed to "retract false and damaging statements" it made from "misinformation" provided to ESPN by Craig James, the father of the Texas Tech player.

Josh Krulewitz, spokesman for the network based in Bristol, Conn., said officials had not seen the lawsuit and declined comment.

Leach attorney Ted Liggett said the former coach wants "to set the record" straight.

"Mike Leach is adamant," Liggett said. "Mike Leach wants his name cleared. His reputation has taken a severe hit and been tarnished."

The university fired Leach last Dec. 30, two days after suspending him amid allegations he mistreated Adam James. Leach has denied the claim.

Adam James has said his coach twice ordered him to stand for hours while confined in a dark place during practice. On Wednesday, Liggett claimed that Adam James under oath said he thought it was "humorous" what Leach told him to do and that he didn't think Leach should have been fired.

The suit, which seeks undisclosed damages and retractions from ESPN and the PR firm, was filed now because the statute of limitations on slander and libel is one year.

"On a daily basis we're still seeing stories across the country with accounts Leach claims are counter to the truth," Liggett said. "Mike Leach is looking forward to getting back into coaching -- he's said that on several occasions."

Leach was fired a few days before Texas Tech beat Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl. Craig James was slated to be a broadcaster but was replaced by Mike Patrick, according to the suit.

Patrick described Adam James to "an audience of millions," saying, "There is Adam James, who is the young man who was actually punished for having a concussion," the lawsuit claims. Patrick's comments left the impression that "Leach punished a player for having a concussion."

Craig James is also a defendant in the lawsuit Leach filed against Texas Tech when he was fired. The university has appealed a ruling that Texas Tech waived its sovereign immunity protection by its conduct in Leach's firing. A ruling is pending from the 7th Court of Appeals in Amarillo.

In June, State District Judge William C. Sowder dismissed three top administrators -- university system Chancellor Kent Hance, school President Guy Bailey, athletic director Gerald Myers -- from that suit. The two sides earlier this week agreed that the three would not face future lawsuits over Leach's firing.

The libel suit also names Spaeth Communications as a defendant, claiming James hired the firm for "purposes of creating public opinion hostile to Leach."

Liggett said Spaeth was behind the Internet posting of a video Adam James shot while he stood in one of the dark places.

"Because his effort to sue Texas Tech University individuals failed, it now appears that coach Leach is looking for someone else to blame, and has shifted his focus to the Craig James family, ESPN and Spaeth Communications," firm executive vice president Rebecca Shaw said in an e-mail. "This lawsuit is the predictable strategy of a man who is desperate to avoid accountability for his own behavior."

:garr:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Leach suing ESPN
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »
 :emawkid:  Get em' Mike!
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
Also we need to get him before Ku fires Gill.  He will literally take the first available Big12 job focused on ending TTU.  I would love to have him on our sideline and hang 80+ on them. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
LOVE Mike Leach

T42YS

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 03:45:12 AM »
Bill, feel free to retire early and let us bring him in for UNT/Pinstripe bowl. Honestly, wouldn't all of you LOVE to see what Leach could do with CCQ/CK? If nothing else, watching him make them walk a plank into the Kaw off the 177 bridge would be a treat to watch after the season's over :excited:

Offline theymightbegiants

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
I can just imagine it, Mike Leach HC, Jim Levitt DC, and just for giggles Mangino as OL coach, yeah come on Bill retire so we can bring in these guys (especially Leach) and get some credibility going in our once proud program that you have destroyed.
"I feel safe in white because, deep down inside, I'm an angel"-Puff Daddy

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »
Do not want Leach anymore.  If ESPN is all pissed off at him, they're going to eff his next team in the butt.  We don't get televised on ESPN/ABC enough as it is...

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
Bill, feel free to retire early and let us bring him in for UNT/Pinstripe bowl. Honestly, wouldn't all of you LOVE to see what Leach could do with CCQ/CK? If nothing else, watching him make them walk a plank into the Kaw off the 177 bridge would be a treat to watch after the season's over :excited:

Would wear that T-shirt.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
I deserves repeating, I'd kill a drifter to land Mike Leach.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
I deserves repeating, I'd kill a drifter to land Mike Leach.

I
I
I
I

Good enough for you?   :dunno:

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
Looks like ESPN won't be getting over it any time soon either:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8743981

There's a lot of speculation convicted hooker slayer Craig James ghost penned this.

The Big Train

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »

There's a lot of speculation convicted hooker slayer Craig James ghost penned this.

Mobile version on a PC  :dubious:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

Lot's of ESPN butthurt.  That is why he doesn't fit at Washington State as well as he would at K-State.  With the Pirate at K-State, ESPN would dbl down on the butthurt.

Also this:

Leach's first year was a failure. He might say his players were "zombielike" or have "an empty-corpse quality" or talk about their performance "bordering on cowardice," but the bottom line is a coach is hired to lead, and Leach went mostly unfollowed this year.

The response to that, of course, is that Leach was breaking down his team to rebuild it. OK, fine. But Rich Rodriguez, Jim Mora and Todd Graham somehow did the equivalent while getting more out of their teams in 2012 than was produced in 2011.

Leach took over a team fully capable of winning six games but won half that. The Cougars lost at home to 1-11 Colorado. They got stomped 49-6 at Utah on Nov. 3, played tough against UCLA the following weekend and then turned in a white-flag performance at Arizona State, losing 46-7.

You can talk about talent gaps and injuries, but the inconsistent or nonexistent efforts reflect on Leach and his coaches. Say what you want about former coach Paul Wulff, but his often overmatched team was far less "zombielike" in 2011.

The dramatic 31-28 overtime win in the Apple Cup was borderline courageous. It was certainly grounds upon which optimistic Cougs can tether their hopes for 2013.

The totality of the horrid 3-9 season, however, falls not on the players but on Leach and his staff. The singular question today is whether Leach can accept that fact and do something about it.

Leach is quirky, well-read and funny. He'd make every college football writer's top-10 list of "Coaches I'd Like to Have a Cocktail With." He's unquestionably one of the game's great offensive minds, even if the Cougars scored nine fewer points per game this year than last.

Yet this season, Leach mistook blind inflexibility for being demanding. His colorful rhetoric shined a harsh light on his players and filled reporters' notebooks, but he apparently didn't turn his evaluative abilities back toward himself. Leach frequently said that his young guys were playing more because they were outworking the old guys. What he didn't see in that criticism was it was more about his failure than his upperclassmen's shortcomings.

A good coach would have motivated everyone, or just about everyone, to work hard. Like Rodriguez, Mora and Graham did this year.

Leach is a good coach. His track record speaks for itself. He went 84-43 at Texas Tech.

He just wasn't a good coach this year.

It's good that Leach has been publicly cleared of an unfair charge. He didn't abuse players this year. But he certainly didn't teach, inspire, motivate and unite them, either.  :surprised:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
Comparing him to incoming coaches at Arizona and UCLA is unfair with the resources those schools have.  Leach will be fine once he gets his players.  His coaching style will struggle when taking over someone elses.  As much as I love Leach, its hard to defend the Colorado loss though