Author Topic: Pat Bosco  (Read 6578 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pat Bosco
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
that's the same way i picked the rams.  contrarian to cowboys fans, plus colors, curly horn helmets and animal mascot.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
that's the same way i picked the rams.  contrarian to cowboys fans, plus colors, curly horn helmets and animal mascot.

with respect, how is that the same lol?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
back to bosco...

was he ever considered for university prez after wefald left? seems like he would have been a no-brainer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
why were you already a chiefs fan j rake?

it started with this: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199110070kan.htm

my big thing as a 5-year old was to be a contrarian heel (so basically i haven't changed). everybody in my area liked either the giants or the bills. the chiefs played a huge game vs buffalo on this particular night, at arrowhead, and the place was just a madhouse. so what began as rooting against the bills turned into rooting for the chiefs. it was my first TV exposure to arrowhead that i can remember. i loved the crowd, loved the helmet, loved the logo, loved the uniforms, loved the energy, loved that kansas city was in missouri and not kansas, loved the name marty schottenheimer, just all of it.

my parents had just moved to kansas city and their next door neighbor took my dad to THAT EXACT GAME (!) and that's when he became a chiefs fan!  :eek:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »

with respect, how is that the same lol?

my big thing as a 5-year old was to be a contrarian heel... loved the helmet, loved the logo, loved the uniforms...

i also liked that the rams had a guy (briefly two!) named youngblood, which seemed like as good as a name could get to me at the time.  because i was an idiot, i also liked that he played football with a broken leg.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
I remember sitting in a Vegas bar with j rake watching the KSU wildcats getting the living crap beat out of them by Baylor and you telling me some version of that story and iirc I just assumed you were a liar and you were adamant about it and I eventually believed you (not the Bosco part, the how you ended up at KSU part). iirc LHC Bill Snyder was featured in my version. And maybe dick vermeil but not sure because I was pretty blasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 02:35:28 PM »
LMAO

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 02:37:10 PM »
This is my all time fav thread

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
like, i am beside myself happy about the j rake posts

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
I remember sitting in a Vegas bar with j rake watching the KSU wildcats getting the living crap beat out of them by Baylor and you telling me some version of that story and iirc I just assumed you were a liar and you were adamant about it and I eventually believed you (not the Bosco part, the how you ended up at KSU part). iirc LHC Bill Snyder was featured in my version. And maybe dick vermeil but not sure because I was pretty blasted.

Yeah, the LHC Bill Snyder part of the story that I probably told is that K-State wasn’t really on my radar until two years earlier. Living in the eastern region, we rarely got Big 12 games. It was always Big East and Big Ten with the occasional ACC mixed in. Well, one game we did get was the Big 12 title game. And I badly wanted to bet Oklahoma -13 all day. They were the unbeatable team. And then out of nowhere, I changed my mind and decided to bet K-State. I obviously had no idea what I was doing. But mostly it was more fun to blow my paper route money cheering for the underdog.

Well, K-State smoked them, and of course it was great that it was happening at Arrowhead, which is where all the magic was taking place under Vermeil after the 9-0 start, the Super Bowl dreams, etc.

That game left a big impression. I had definite respect for K-State and LHC Bill Snyder after that (it should be noted that I now have very little respect for Snyder).

By the way, K-State orientation was so bad after the Bosco pep rally. We stayed in Manhattan for a full week. Needless to say we ran out of things to do pretty quickly.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
just searched through my email archives and found a recap of my first ever trip to manhattan  :lol:

Quote from: j rake email archive
when me and my mom visited k-state for the first time, we were there for a week.

arrived in KC around 3pm, then flew to Manhattan on what remains the scariest flight I've ever taken. Arrive at 4-430 pm.

night 1: burgers and sodas at rusty's (it had been recently named as like a top 10 college bar by sports illustrated); followed by bowling in the student union; we then retreated to our hotel, located near the target (Hampton Inn?)

day 2: orientation at k-state. then visited the campus a bit. then went to eat at famous dave's. then retreated to hotel room where we watched michael jackson trial coverage.

day 3: returned to the student union, went bowling again. went out to eat at Carlos O'Kelly's in the mall or whatever it was called. Then went shopping at what my mom called "the worst rough ridin' mall on earth." returned to hotel room, watched some of the michael jackson trial, went to bed.

day 4: sunset zoo. seriously, we went to the sunset zoo! from there, we went to a place in aggieville, can't remember where, and ate. then we went to a gas station where my mom purchased national enquirer and star magazine and probably some other magazine, and we returned to the hotel to watch michael jackson coverage. i honestly don't recall if we did anything after this. we were mentally drained ... from trying to find stuff to do.

day 5: wildcat creek mini golf! but man, this course was sooo boring.  The most unimaginative mini golf course ever. From there, we stopped to see the football stadium and bramlage (which we called Brom-loge). Then we went ... bowling. Again. Before returning to the hotel for more Michael Jackson coverage. My mom asked if the Royals were in town, perhaps opening the door to a Kansas City escape? "Nope, on the road and a day off to follow."

day 6: It's all such a blur at this point. I really don't know what we did. Probably went out to breakfast and tried chewing our food as slowly as possible to kill time. Possibly went to see a movie at Seth Child Theaters. Maybe we went bowling again or played Ms Pac Man at the adjacent arcade. I really don't know. All I know is we were ready to leave. I could sense that my mom wanted to call the town boring since Day 3, but she probably didn't want to dampen my enthusiasm for what was highly likely to be my college choice. But at some point, you just have to call it for what it was -- and Manhattan was rough ridin' boring. Our hotel room by now was filled with Doritos and Lays chips and diet cokes and every magazine off the rack at the Dara's (we called it Dar-uh's). We knew as much about Michael Jackson's case as his own legal team. We could beat Nancy Grace to her own words. We had the TV channels memorized. It was just time to go. I don't know what we did in our final night in Manhattan, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went to bed at 6pm and just hoped like hell we'd sleep through the night.

day 7: Time to leave. But there's no chance we were taking that magic school bus flight to KC. We hitched a ride with a complete stranger (who was nice!) and he drove us to the airport in KC because he was also going there. luckily we didn’t get murdered.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
just searched through my email archives and found a recap of my first ever trip to manhattan 

Quote from: j rake email archive
when me and my mom visited k-state for the first time, we were there for a week.

arrived in KC around 3pm, then flew to Manhattan on what remains the scariest flight I've ever taken. Arrive at 4-430 pm.

night 1: burgers and sodas at rusty's (it had been recently named as like a top 10 college bar by sports illustrated); followed by bowling in the student union; we then retreated to our hotel, located near the target (Hampton Inn?)

day 2: orientation at k-state. then visited the campus a bit. then went to eat at famous dave's. then retreated to hotel room where we watched michael jackson trial coverage.

day 3: returned to the student union, went bowling again. went out to eat at Carlos O'Kelly's in the mall or whatever it was called. Then went shopping at what my mom called "the worst rough ridin' mall on earth." returned to hotel room, watched some of the michael jackson trial, went to bed.

day 4: sunset zoo. seriously, we went to the sunset zoo! from there, we went to a place in aggieville, can't remember where, and ate. then we went to a gas station where my mom purchased national enquirer and star magazine and probably some other magazine, and we returned to the hotel to watch michael jackson coverage. i honestly don't recall if we did anything after this. we were mentally drained ... from trying to find stuff to do.

day 5: wildcat creek mini golf! but man, this course was sooo boring.  The most unimaginative mini golf course ever. From there, we stopped to see the football stadium and bramlage (which we called Brom-loge). Then we went ... bowling. Again. Before returning to the hotel for more Michael Jackson coverage. My mom asked if the Royals were in town, perhaps opening the door to a Kansas City escape? "Nope, on the road and a day off to follow."

day 6: It's all such a blur at this point. I really don't know what we did. Probably went out to breakfast and tried chewing our food as slowly as possible to kill time. Possibly went to see a movie at Seth Child Theaters. Maybe we went bowling again or played Ms Pac Man at the adjacent arcade. I really don't know. All I know is we were ready to leave. I could sense that my mom wanted to call the town boring since Day 3, but she probably didn't want to dampen my enthusiasm for what was highly likely to be my college choice. But at some point, you just have to call it for what it was -- and Manhattan was rough ridin' boring. Our hotel room by now was filled with Doritos and Lays chips and diet cokes and every magazine off the rack at the Dara's (we called it Dar-uh's). We knew as much about Michael Jackson's case as his own legal team. We could beat Nancy Grace to her own words. We had the TV channels memorized. It was just time to go. I don't know what we did in our final night in Manhattan, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went to bed at 6pm and just hoped like hell we'd sleep through the night.

day 7: Time to leave. But there's no chance we were taking that magic school bus flight to KC. We hitched a ride with a complete stranger (who was nice!) and he drove us to the airport in KC because he was also going there. luckily we didn’t get murdered.
Ha ha who was the audience?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
oh my god
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »
:lol:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
(i didn't know k-state took literally everybody at the time)

When people from other states mention anything about me "getting accepted" to K-State, I just smile and nod.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
lmao rake

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
Ha ha who was the audience?

i used to send regular emails to 6-8 people multiple times per day. but eventually assumed they were getting sick of them, so for the last decade now, i've just been sending them to levi. they're nothing special. half of them are probably just me writing nostalgically about the vermeil years. twenty-five percent of them consist of me telling him that i wore x clothes to y occasion and everybody at the gathering/party/social/event wore z and i felt like a moron. and then the other twenty-five percent is me peddling my crappy business ideas (RIP watered-down salad bar, where we soak the lettuce and you pay by the pound! :frown:)

Quote from: chum1
When people from other states mention anything about me "getting accepted" to K-State, I just smile and nod.

:D

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
:lol:

I don't remember what you wore to bww to hang out w/dgale and the ed, but I'm sure it was fine.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
I 100% want in on the jrake email list.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
rake should've met his friends at kite's, what a waste

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
flight from kc to manhattan??  :sdeek:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
flight from kc to manhattan??  :sdeek:

Probably that Great Lakes Airlines twin prop

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »

would subscribe

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »

would subscribe

Same

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
when pat bosco inevitably finds this thread when googling his own name in 2026 (a year after k-state 2025 initiative is complete and a statute of him is built in the union courtyard), i hope that he will see the effort i made to get this thread back to us talking about him.

alright, now back to me. who wants some emails! jk  :)