Author Topic: dobber family soccer updates (and your kids sports, too!)  (Read 22842 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
dobber family soccer updates (and your kids sports, too!)
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »
Hopefully this will be as great of thread as my kids are great at soccer!

ITT, you can give updates about kids' sports, but you'd better not try to one up my awesome soccer reports!
Also, no incessant whining about the coaches, Fedor already started a thread about that, and it flamed out.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:47:48 AM by slobber »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: dobber family soccer updates (and your kids sports, too!)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:42:28 AM »

dobberjr. update:
Came home from middle school practice (grades 6-8)..."hey dad, I made the starting 11."
Dobber:  ":insert Vince Lombardi speech mixed with Cliff Huxtable:"

What does this mean for gE? Now, in addition to Ninja updates, you will also be getting Angels updates!

Gonna win 'em all!
thats grades 6 thru 8, not 6 thru :cool smiley face: (if that's how it's showing up on your tapatalk)

Gonna win 'em all!
I don't think you all understand that dobberjr is a 6th grader.
Also, they are called the Crusaders, not the Angels.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:01 AM »
dobber family weekend update:
dobberjr had the first game and it was played on a field that appeared to be a former training ground for the Egyptian bomb defusing squad.
It was a game against the team that jr had just played with as a guest player 2 weeks ago. A great rivalry over the past couple of years. It was a shaky start that saw the Ninjas down 0-2 late in the first before a solid effort from 15 went off a defenders leg who was trying to clear the ball. The result was an own goal that pulled the ninjas to within one.
Early in the second the diablos scored a third and sloppy play by the ninjas appeared to have them doomed. Near the 50th minute (they play 2 30 min halves) one of our new players (we picked some twins in the offseason) scored his first goal as a ninja. It was a real piece of work and had the parents excited for things to come the rest of the year. 4 minutes later, the coach's boy (who is not fat and slow) had the equalizer on a thru ball. Shortly thereafter, dobber jr had his first real opportunity on a charge from the wing. After beating his man he appeared to be going in for a certain goal, but his shot went right at the goalie while the open net to either side taunted dobber jr. In the last minute dobber jr had one more opportunity from the 18. If was headed toward the lower corner but bent left and went right by the pole. The game ended in a sloppy 3-3 tie.

Dobberette's game was late in the afternoon. Ominous clouds hung over the field threatening rain which never came. The Lightning also appeared to not show up for the game and they, too found themselves down 0-2 midway through the first. But then a great and glorious thing happened. As the ball was being kicked around like a sack if potatoes in front of the other teams goal, the goalie thought the ball was going left but it got deflected to the right. Standing there, 4 yards from the goal, was dobberette, and she made slow work of the goal by barely rolling it to ths back of the net!  1-2! Lightning scored! Dobberette scored the first goal for the newly formed team!  She had a couple more opportunities in the next 2 minutes, but her dad has evidently not spent enough time running drills in the back yard because her foot eye coordination leaves a lot to be desired! The Storm (opponent) scored another goal late in the first and it was 1-3 at half. The lightning scored early in the second and then again shortly after that and if was tied at three. With 5 minutes left, the lightning continued to strike and took the lead for the first time. The final nail came with 2 minutes left and the Lightning came away with a 5-3 win. I found out that our head coach is all about winning. I will update with stories if applicable. He is also a Jayhawk. I am one of the assistants. Ette's greatest improvements in this game were her understanding of staying between the ball and the goal on defense and her overall reaction to coaching instructions as the were being communicated. I was very proud of how hard she played.
At the start of her game, ette said, "Coach dobber, Mrsdobber said if I score a goal we'd have ice cream tonight." ( Mrsdobber doesn't understand that you can play an outstanding game of soccer without scoring a goal).
Anyway, after dinner we were scooping out ice cream and toddler dobber said, "can I have some candy in my ice cream?" I told him that we were out of candy, and he said, "dad-gum". We all laughed and I knew I'd share that with my gE buds. I also realized that toddler dobber needs to stop watching Cars movies or he is going to be a redneck.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:57 AM »

You know you read it. Don't lie sunny, don't lie.

Gonna win 'em all!

I read them when they're shorter
It was the start of the season. jr played a rival and tied. Ette is on a new team and scored the first goal in what led to a 5-3 come from behind win. Toddler might be a redneck.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »
@fedor. Halftime speech down 1-3: "Who thinks we can't win this game? If you think we can't win this game, then I don't want you on the field!" One girl was confused and held up her hand. Probably 2nd best player on the team...led to some awkwardness for a few seconds.
:lol:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:42 AM »
Angels won 8-0. Dobberjr played one of the middle defenders in the back line of four.

Gonna win 'em all!
(Yes, I didn't even know what the school mascot was for a little while...CLASSIC SLOBBER!)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:51:12 AM »
No longer winning them all?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »

No longer winning them all?
maybe just on tapatalk?
I'll have to get that corrected!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »

ITT, you can give updates about kids' sports, but you'd better not try to one up my awesome soccer reports!
Also, no incessant whining about the coaches, Fedor already started a thread about that, and it flamed out.
Yes, if there is one thing we do not do here it is complain about coaches.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

I believe it was the negative remarks about the coach's kid that got them rankled

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »

I believe it was the negative remarks about the coach's kid that got them rankled
Well, he was really terrible you guys.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
SHUT UP!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Lots to update. Rough weekend with regard to wins and losses. Great weekend in regards to squawk 'winning is the most important thing' coach!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
The fighting dobberettes played 3. Got smoked 8-1, tied 2-2, and lost 4-1. They played better each game and the addition of the final girl will be huge. She hadn't played with the girls until this weekend and she will be a top 4 player. Man, these girls get excited when they score!
Squawk coach was very upset that we were getting smoked in the first game and we had a really bad series of possessions where the girls were just awful...he ripped his VISOR from his head and threw it on the ground and tried to kick it while storming on the sideline. I smiled because I knew that was going directly on gE.com.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
dobber family soccer updates (and your kids sports, too!)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
The dobberjrs were asked to play up a division in the tourney, and coach said sure. Hoping to make it a learning opportunity for the lads. They got smoke 8-1 and 7-0 on Saturday. On Sunday morning, dobberjr was pretty down, knowing that they had been beaten badly and had no opportunity to bring home any hardware. So I pulled out a pretty great motivational speech on the way to the game. I ended with "the will to win is much greater than the skill to win." Oh man, you could see it in dobberjr's eyes that I had really Lomardi'd the hell out of his mind. They looked much better in warmups and had fun from the first whistle whilst really playing hard and aggressive. Started out 2-0, but then gave up 2 midway through the second. Final score came on a corner where dobberjr crashed and elevated and then snapped his head at the airborne ball and sent it into the upper 90 for what proved to be the winning goal. Guys, this was a really high level soccer play that many of you won't be able to appreciate. It was the most excited he has ever been on a soccer field.

Toddlerdobber and Mrsdobber refrained from watching soccer this weekend due to the heat.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
 :love:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
The dobberjrs were asked to play up a division in the tourney, and coach said sure. Hoping to make it a learning opportunity for the lads. They got smoke 8-1 and 7-0 on Saturday. On Sunday morning, dobberjr was pretty down, knowing that they had been beaten badly and had no opportunity to bring home any hardware. So I pulled out a pretty great motivational speech on the way to the game. I ended with "the will to win is much greater than the skill to win." Oh man, you could see it in dobberjr's eyes that I had really Lomardi'd the hell out of his mind. They looked much better in warmups and had fun from the first whistle whilst really playing hard and aggressive. Started out 2-0, but then gave up 2 midway through the second. Final score came on a corner where dobberjr crashed and elevated and then snapped his head at the airborne ball and sent it into the upper 90 for what proved to be the winning goal. Guys, this was a really high level soccer play that many of you won't be able to appreciate. It was the most excited he has ever been on a soccer field.

Toddlerdobber and Mrsdobber refrained from watching soccer this weekend due to the heat.

Gonna win 'em all!
oh man! way to go slobberjr!

and thanks for making this thread, i was getting very sick of having to skim over sunny and scott's garbage.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
You guys are the best. I'm just glad to know that somebody is reading this. It is hard to paint all of these pretty pictures with just words.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

Is dobberjr the next American footie superstar?! GREAT JOB DOBBERJR!

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
dobber, you sound like a great dad.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 03:21:10 AM »
dobber, you sound like a great dad.
I don't know about that, but I usually try.

You realize that I am reporting as a father and not a soccer aficionado. For example, what I reported on the header is exactly how I saw it. However, the reality may have been completely different. dobberjr may have tripped over another kid's foot and the ball accidentally smacked right off his face and into the goal. I don't think that is what happened and I didn't notice any swelling in the facial area of dobberjr, but you never know!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 03:28:10 AM »
Thursday night had the Angels back in action.

For those of you just joining this thread, this is the team associated with the Middle School that dobberjr attends. He is currently the only starting 6th grader and he plays against these giant 8th graders and just mushes the ever living crap out of them.

Anyway, dobberjr started again and played one of the middle defenders (is that what the position is called? In the back line there are 4 defenders and he plays one of the positions in the middle of those four. Also, how good do you have to be to play there? Is it like right field in baseball or shortstop?) for most of the first half and about 5 minutes of the second. I really don't know enough to tell you if he did a good job or not. The Angels won 8-1 and coach sat most of the starters for about half of the game.

Next game is Sunday! :impatient: :excited:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
center back.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
center back.
Thanks! and no, I wasn't gE'ing when I asked that question. So now I know!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 04:07:20 AM »
Well friends...
Lets start out with dobberette this week. It was a late afternoon game on Sunday, which played out to a very exciting 0-0 tie. dobberette had the best look at a goal of anyone, but the excitement of the moment was a bit more than she could handle and she was not able to get enough foot on the ball to get it past the out of position goalie. She continues to make some progress, but she is not the strongest soccer player on the team. The really great things about these games are the Squawk head coach comments. He repeatedly says things that the girls are all like, "WTF?" The funny one yesterday was:
-Natilie is going to pull a double shift.
The girls were brow furrowed and Natalie starts running off the field.
Also, I really mushed him yesterday. One of the assistant coaches said that we should play some music during warmups. The other assistant said something like, "Get the AC/DC blaring!"
I looked at the head coach and said, "I will not let my daughter warm up to Thunderstruck."