Author Topic: Anyone else here been the victim of a major scam?  (Read 16501 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else here been the victim of a major scam?
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
And no, I don't think the guy was a "scam artist". it gives him too much credit. I mean his "scam" was going to farmers and saying "give me some milo hay" and three farmers saying, "sure, sounds great!"

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
Not a major scam, but I bought a car from a place that was raided the very next day by the Warren County Drug Task Force. Agents from the Internal Revenue Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  Getting the title was a major PIA.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100630/NEWS010701/7010316/Cars-200K-seized-raids

I just now looked it up and found out what was going on.

http://searchjustice.usdoj.gov/search?q=cache:reBQMGzqHDoJ:www.justice.gov/usao/ohs/news/07-05-12.html+cincy+imports+inurl%3A%2Fusao%2Fohs&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=iso-8859-1&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&site=default_collection&access=p&oe=UTF-8

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »
Everyone quit kicking this guy while he's down.

I don't mind being insulted when it is well warranted, kc.  If I did, then I would not have started this thread to begin with. 

Another time I got scammed was when I let a stripper talk me into going in the "Champagne Room" with her.  Big mistake.  It was nothing more than an ordinary lap dance, and a hell of a lot more expensive.   :blank:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anyone else here been the victim of a major scam?
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
This thread title is such a cry for attention.

If you are stealing hay or any other farm/ranch product, you are not conducting a "major scam" you are just some hayseed taking advantage of other hayseeds.

But yeah sucks deez nuts, sorry bro.

Yeah but I don't think that I would fall under the actual definition of "hayseed".  Phog people would claim that you too are a hayseed just for being a KSU fan.

Do you or do you not sell hay? Did you or did you not get scammed by a fellow hayseed? I think this one is obvious. T's and P's though

Hayseed - a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture
            - an unsophisticated country person
            - A bumpkin; a yokel.
            - A slow witted or unstylish person from the rural midwest.

Nowhere does it define a hayseed as being anyone involved in farming or agriculture in general.  In fact, most farmers I know (and every successful farmer I know) are very intelligent, skilled, and business-savvy.  Only a small minority of farmers could you legitimately call a hayseed.  Just because I was a dumbass and made this one mistake doesn't make me a hayseed. 

FWIW, farming had nothing to do with me insinuating you were a hayseed. It had more to do with the unsophisticated-slow-witted-country-yokel-iness as evidenced by calling this a "major scam".

So then you wouldn't refer to the loser douchebag as being a "scam artist" even though he has screwed over at least three people for multiple thousands of dollars each? 

I suppose "hayseed' is a fair insult if the only context to which it applies is that I was dumb enough to fall for this guy's bullshit in that instance.  But I would call it a simple mistake, or a failure to use the intelligence that I have.  A real hayseed would be somebody who completely lacks intelligence to begin with.  But before you start to tell me how unintelligent I actually am, you should know that I went to K-State and earned both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, and graduated with a cumulative 3.7 GPA.  So then you would have to admit that anyone reading this board who has a cumulative GPA less than 3.7 must be dumber than a damned hayseed.

Nah, GPA factors effort in too much. I had a bachelors and masters with a cumulative GPA of just under 3.6, with an average BAC of about .16 and didn't get scammed on a hay trade. 8manpick=not a hayseed
:adios:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
1099c him for the value if you decide it's uncollectible.   The IRS likes to get their cut of that unclaimed "income".

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »

If you are stealing hay or any other farm/ranch product, you are not conducting a "major scam" you are just some hayseed taking advantage of other hayseeds.

Yeah but I don't think that I would fall under the actual definition of "hayseed".  Phog people would claim that you too are a hayseed just for being a KSU fan.

Do you or do you not sell hay? Did you or did you not get scammed by a fellow hayseed? I think this one is obvious. T's and P's though

- A bumpkin; a yokel.

Nowhere does it define a hayseed as being anyone involved in farming or agriculture in general.  In fact, most farmers I know (and every successful farmer I know) are very intelligent, skilled, and business-savvy.  Only a small minority of farmers could you legitimately call a hayseed.  Just because I was a dumbass and made this one mistake doesn't make me a hayseed. 

FWIW, farming had nothing to do with me insinuating you were a hayseed. It had more to do with the unsophisticated-slow-witted-country-yokel-iness as evidenced by calling this a "major scam".

So then you wouldn't refer to the loser douchebag as being a "scam artist" even though he has screwed over at least three people for multiple thousands of dollars each? 

I suppose "hayseed' is a fair insult if the only context to which it applies is that I was dumb enough to fall for this guy's bullshit in that instance.  But I would call it a simple mistake, or a failure to use the intelligence that I have.  A real hayseed would be somebody who completely lacks intelligence to begin with.  But before you start to tell me how unintelligent I actually am, you should know that I went to K-State and earned both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, and graduated with a cumulative 3.7 GPA.  So then you would have to admit that anyone reading this board who has a cumulative GPA less than 3.7 must be dumber than a damned hayseed.

Nah, GPA factors effort in too much. I had a bachelors and masters with a cumulative GPA of just under 3.6, with an average BAC of about .16 and didn't get scammed on a hay trade. 8manpick=not a hayseed

Under 3.6???  Looks to me like 8manpick has just admitted to being dumber than a hayseed.  That really sucks for you.  Thoughts and Prayers, man.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Anyone else here been the victim of a major scam?
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

- A bumpkin; a yokel.

Under 3.6???  Looks to me like 8manpick has just admitted to being dumber than a hayseed.  That really sucks for you.  Thoughts and Prayers, man.

Pfft. Reading comprehension much? Want to compare other meaningless stats from academia?

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Pfft. Reading comprehension much? Want to compare other meaningless stats from academia?

What would you consider a more meaningful measure of intelligence, then?  Success at one's profession?  Annual income?  Accumulated net worth?  I'm no hayseed yokel by any of those measures. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
Nah, GPA factors effort in too much.

Plenty of hardworking hayseeds. Kind of what they are known for. That and getting scammed by other hayseeds.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
Milo For Meth, the tragic story of an unsuspecting farmer and his kindergarten confidant

Tuesday night, 8pm on the Lifetime Channel

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
8manpick, knock it off. Jeez.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
8manpick, knock it off. Jeez.

I was just messing with my friend Deez Nutz, the hay farmer who takes offense at being called a hayseed. It was at least 90% sarcastic.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
That is good advice and I will be filing suit tomorrow since I have been out of town the past few days.  Also, I am supposed to meet with the sheriff tomorrow to provide the weight tickets, etc., and he said he will personally go over there and charge the guy.  Hopefully he does not go on the run before that, but at least I got the guy's tag number in case they need it.  I will keep you all posted on how it ends up playing out.

:users:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
good luck, deez nuts.  this guy sounds sucky and i hope something bad happens to him.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
If you deal hay, then you're probably a hayseed.   Intelligence has nothing to do with it.  JMO.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
SteveDave scammed me. He told me several times that we were real life friends, but today he told me to stop message boarding.  :frown: Feels bad man.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Milo For Meth, the tragic story of an unsuspecting farmer and his kindergarten confidant

Tuesday night, 8pm on the Lifetime Channel
:thumbs:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:27 PM »
SteveDave scammed me. He told me several times that we were real life friends, but today he told me to stop message boarding.  :frown: Feels bad man.

That doesn't mean you aren't friends.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »

That doesn't mean you aren't friends.
:D

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »
That is good advice and I will be filing suit tomorrow since I have been out of town the past few days.  Also, I am supposed to meet with the sheriff tomorrow to provide the weight tickets, etc., and he said he will personally go over there and charge the guy.  Hopefully he does not go on the run before that, but at least I got the guy's tag number in case they need it.  I will keep you all posted on how it ends up playing out.

I filed my complaint with the sheriff's office on Thursday last week and provided all information I had.  They wrote up a report on it to send to the county attorney and included all the complaints together to bring the charges against him in one criminal case of theft by deception.  Turns out there are at least 5 victims so far, and his modus operandi  included writing bad checks as well.  That would explain the $25,000 case as it involved a bad check and not just a promise to pay.  So I'm sure that if I had demanded payment in advance, he would have just given me a bad check.  And since he immediately sells the hay that he takes from people, he has washed his hands of it and gotten his money before the original seller can reclaim the property.

I called yesterday morning, and they had submitted the report to the county attorney, and he definitely wants to prosecute it, so I think an arrest will be forthcoming very soon.  I just hope he doesn't get tipped off in advance and leave the state before they can arrest him.  The sheriff said that the loser douchebag is already on probation, and that is probably what has kept him around the area this long in the first place.  I also found out that with the larger case pending, I would not want to file a separate complaint in small claims court because if and when he is found guilty in the theft case, the judge will order him to pay restitution, and that would take precedence over any small claims judgement. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
do something on the civil side.  get in front of everyone else for when they start divvying up his assets.  You may get a nice meth trailer out of it.  :dunno:

If Restitution takes precedence, great.  If there is no restitution, a small claims judgement would be there to give you a vehicle to get back some.  I would get a judgement against him and let restitution take over if it happens. That way, you are covered either way.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:57:56 AM by CNS Casey »

Offline dontfeedthebear

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »

I filed my complaint with the sheriff's office on Thursday last week and provided all information I had.  They wrote up a report on it to send to the county attorney and included all the complaints together to bring the charges against him in one criminal case of theft by deception.  Turns out there are at least 5 victims so far, and his modus operandi  included writing bad checks as well.  That would explain the $25,000 case as it involved a bad check and not just a promise to pay.  So I'm sure that if I had demanded payment in advance, he would have just given me a bad check.  And since he immediately sells the hay that he takes from people, he has washed his hands of it and gotten his money before the original seller can reclaim the property.

I called yesterday morning, and they had submitted the report to the county attorney, and he definitely wants to prosecute it, so I think an arrest will be forthcoming very soon.  I just hope he doesn't get tipped off in advance and leave the state before they can arrest him.  The sheriff said that the loser douchebag is already on probation, and that is probably what has kept him around the area this long in the first place.  I also found out that with the larger case pending, I would not want to file a separate complaint in small claims court because if and when he is found guilty in the theft case, the judge will order him to pay restitution, and that would take precedence over any small claims judgement.

Sounds like a major headache.  Good luck and hope you get yours out of all this

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »
if anything, you learned a lesson.  :cheers:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
Had about $500 worth of fishing gear stolen last night  :frown:

Went fishing along the KS river(by 435 bridge) yesterday afternoon with the dog. Was in a rush to get everything loaded before the cats game and ended up leaving 4 poles and my fishing bag along the side of the road.

Did not realize I had left everything there until I got home and by that time there was only an hr before the cats game. My gear was on the side of a gravel road that I had never seen any cars on before so I figured it would be fine until after the game.

Went to get it after the game and it was all gone  :frown: