Author Topic: Good Weber blog entery by Kellis  (Read 8862 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Good Weber blog entery by Kellis
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »
Could have been posted in an existing thread already:

This is normally a quiet time of year for Kansas State basketball news, but with the Wildcats’ recent coaching change I’ve got plenty for you this beautiful Tuesday afternoon.

New coach oscar Weber says he is working round-the-clock right now, trying to hire a coaching staff and getting to know K-State’s players. He is living out of a hotel, eating when he can and using multiple phones to keep up with all of his contacts.

He took some time out of his busy day to speak with me earlier today. So I’ve got plenty of news and notes to pass along. Here we go:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Weber spent time on the court working out with players for the first time on Monday. Though players weren’t in game shape following two weeks of down time, he was impressed with what he saw from them.

“They told me right away, ‘The one thing we will do is we will play hard. That’s the one thing we’ve always done,’” Weber said. “You can definitely see that. They’ve got some pretty good raw talent and physical ability.”

He knows what he will emphasize with them in the short term.

“Shooting and getting the ball in the hoop is the one thing we really need to work at over the spring and summer,” Weber said.

When asked about individual players, he said a few things stuck out.

Martavious Irving – “I like him. He’s got a good body and a nice jump shot.”

Shane Southwell – “He is one guy I noticed. He’s got a great body and has some basketball instincts.”

Thomas Gipson – “Man does he have a big body.”

Will Spradling – “Probably has the most skill when you consider everything, but I like them all.”

Jordan Henriquez – “Jordan has a lot of ability. He hit a couple threes yesterday. I didn’t know he had that in his bag of tricks. I asked him if he ever did any pick-and-pops, and he said, ‘No, they just had me driving to the hoop, but I can do that stuff.’ He made some shots, so that was positive.”

We in the media know Henriquez has always wanted the chance to shoot from the perimeter. He pushed Jacob Pullen in a three-point shooting contest two years ago. Former coach Frank Martin didn’t want him shooting from out there, but Weber says he will allow it – sometimes.

“I hope it’s not the only thing he does,” Weber said with a laugh. “But there is nothing wrong with a trailer or something else on break, or a pick-and-pop. That is fine. That’s OK. That’s something for his future too. If he can prove he can shoot it on the perimeter, that will help him.”

SIDELINED PLAYERS
Two prominent players not mentioned above are Rodney McGruder and Angel Rodriguez. Both are out recovering from medical procedures.

McGruder had surgery on his foot at the conclusion of the season, and is home with a boot on. Weber said Rodriguez just underwent a medical procedure related to tendinitis in his knee.

“It’s not a big deal,” Weber said. “He just needs to rest it a little bit.”

WINNING OVER MCGRUDER
Weber has met with both players, and says he is looking forward to working with them. But he already has a sense on what it will be like coaching McGruder. Weber said he has reached out multiple times to everyone who will be a senior next year, including McGruder.

“I had two meetings with Rodney and have talked to him on the phone each night,” Weber said. “Everything has been good. With a change and somebody new they want to get to know me. That’s why I think it is so important to be around them. I want to get on the court with them and show them what I’m like. I want them coming in the office and being around. I want to see them.

“With Rodney, it’s funny. He’s just such a nice kid. Instead of telling me what he does best, he says, ‘Coach, what do I need to do to fit into your system? I’ve been looking at tape on YouTube and watched how you did this with Deron Williams and Dee Brown.’

“It’s neat to hear him say some of that stuff. He said he couldn’t even sleep the other night he was so excited. He said he hopped out of bed and just started watching tape. Our guards have always been a big part of what we do. We have always had pretty good guards and developed them. Hopefully he will join that group.”

BRAZIL TRIP
Weber doesn’t know the exact dates, but in early August he will take the Wildcats to Brazil for a 10-day basketball tour. College teams are allowed to take International trips every few years. Weber has been a part of several before, but he is really looking forward to this one.

“It’s just a tremendous experience for the student athletes,” Weber said. “I told our guys I’ve done it eight or nine times now and it’s just the greatest life experience you’re ever going to have. If you want to play professionally but can’t make it in the NBA, it’s a great opportunity to see what it’s like overseas. You can see if it’s something you might want to do.

“For us, it will be great. You have 10 days of practice time together. That’s 10 days of being together, getting to know the players and their families and the chance to play games.”

2012-2013 SCHEDULE
Kansas State has two openings on next year’s schedule. Weber says both will be home games.

The old coaching staff was considering moving one of them to Wichita, but hadn’t committed to anything. Weber said returning to Wichita (K-State lost to West Virginia in front of a packed house there this season) could be a possibility in future years, but not in his first season.

“We need a few more games here at Bramlage,” Weber said.

Marquee games next season include: vs. Florida at Sprint Center, at George Washington and a trip to the preseason NIT in New York.

K-State was also scheduled to play West Virginia in a nonconference game, but that game has been scrubbed with the Mountaineers joining the Big 12 next season.

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2012/04/03/oscar-weber-reflects-on-everything-from-k-state-players-to-scheduling-and-trip-to-brazil/#storylink=cpy

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Good Weber blog entery by Kellis
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
I'll say it...

confidence rising

:peek:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
man, the tucks will totally eat up william being our best player.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
I'll say it...

confidence rising

:peek:

Sounds a little like Weber had something rising too ....   :eek:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
I read it earlier today, tucked my polo down around my nutsack, and smiled knowing that frank won't be harming any of my beloved cats anymore.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

catzacker

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
What skills did will show off? Nunchuck skills?

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
“He is one guy I noticed."

To be fair, this is probably the most flattering thing I could say about Shane, too.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »

To be fair, this is probably the most flattering thing I could say about Shane, too.

:fatty:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Good Weber blog entery by Kellis
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »

Great first post.

Offline EMAW4life-JHL

• Combo-Fan
  • Morgan Freeman's childhood friend/worst poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Those comments make me wanna  :bang:
Go Home Dad you're drunk

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
After these first comments from oscar about the team, I'm afraid all comments from now on will sound oddly homoerotic.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
Jo hitting threes like a boss :thumbs:

Very disappointed in no mentions of DOB'ing or oop'ing

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

Also no comments about Angel... was he even there?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

Angel had a minor surgery, on his knee I believe. And it sounds like Weber has prioritized reaching out and trying to keep him. At this point he's still the main concern of mine for a player leaving, but I'm hopeful.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »

you must have missed the part about angel in the thing I posted in the first post in this thread.  common mistake. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
He mentioned talking to angel but has been very vague about feedback from him. I am still expecting angel to be leaving.  I haven't fully recovered and still feel skewed more toward pessimism than normal.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Good Weber blog entery by Kellis
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:52 PM »
This made me feel better a little. It is comforting to see he is as obsessed with their beautiful bodies as we are.

Offline nate mast clone 5

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
Jordan Henriquez – “Jordan has a lot of ability. He hit a couple threes yesterday. I didn’t know he had that in his bag of tricks. I asked him if he ever did any pick-and-pops, and he said, ‘No, they just had me driving to the hoop, but I can do that stuff.’ He made some shots, so that was positive.”

KSU fans.  Warning:  This is where the destruction begins.  Illinois had no guys getting to the hoop the last 6 years under Weber.  They passed the ball around the perimeter doing pick and pops for 30 seconds before someone would take a hail mary 3.  The last game Illinois played, they did not shoot 1 free throw.  Sadly, this was not the only time this happened under Bubbles. 

I always thought it was because they didnt have the talent but here I see a player telling Bubbles he just gets to the hoop and Bubbles ask if he can do pick and pops!   :chainsaw:

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »

you must have missed the part about angel in the thing I posted in the first post in this thread.  common mistake.

skimmed right over it... not a good skimmer... suck at skimming.

catzacker

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
one of the knocks on weber's teams was that his big men (after self's recruits were gone) were face up pussies.  just sayin'.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
Hey, one of my biggest concerns in looking at Weber's teams is the lack of FT rate. Its a weakness and I'm hopeful he can grow and change, partially due to the fact his teams at Southern Illinois had pretty good FT rates, so he's done it before.

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
one of the knocks on weber's teams was that his big men (after self's recruits were gone) were face up pussies.  just sayin'.

Yeah.  Some what concerning that he's openly discussing our 5 taking secondary break transition 3 point attempts.  Also, talk of expanding Jordan's game to the perimeter for the good of his career seems counterproductive for a 5 who needs lots of work on his inside game.  For Jordan as well as our team next season. 

Offline WildcatWillie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
No Photoshops of oscar yet.
Here's one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile