Date: 28/04/24 - 14:26 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Whitlock post at gp.com  (Read 3515 times)

January 19, 2006, 02:02:52 PM
Read 3515 times

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
If I'm a coach with this team and in this league, I'm setting the standards real high. Had Wooldridge been demanding perfection all season, the Nebraska game would've never happened. The Cats would've beat Iowa State.

You guys have real low expectations for Wooldridge and your basketball program.

It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

January 19, 2006, 02:08:20 PM
Reply #1

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
I said the same thing when Jim mentioned a goal at Iowa State of making it a close game late.  Iowa State is a crapty team and Wayne Morgan is a crapty coach.  KSU should have won by 10 in Ames (and expected to).  Ricardo Patton can f'ing win in Ames!  Why can't Kansas State?

Whitlock is dead on sometimes. (Note:  Not when he says David Hoskins is a better inside player than Jeremiah Massey.)

January 19, 2006, 02:12:44 PM
Reply #2

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
KSU fans need to realize this is year 6...not year 2.

Year 2 we should be happy w/a 4 point win at home vs Aggy.

Year 6 the game shouldn't be close.

imo.

However...beat Mizzou Sat...and I'll be pretty impressed.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

January 19, 2006, 02:16:35 PM
Reply #3

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
I'm dead serious about wanting him gone even if he makes the NCAA tourney.  I know it would be impossible to fire him if he did, but I'm convinced he'll never do any better than Ricardo Patton*.

*My new obsession.

January 19, 2006, 02:18:04 PM
Reply #4

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
If he makes the NCAA's, that means we finish either 9-7 or 10-6 w/a solid job in the big 12 tourny. We return everyone next year so that is 2 straight appearances. No way do you fire him. That's just going overboard anti-woolite imo.

January 19, 2006, 02:20:01 PM
Reply #5

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
If he makes the NCAA's, that means we finish either 9-7 or 10-6 w/a solid job in the big 12 tourny. We return everyone next year so that is 2 straight appearances. No way do you fire him. That's just going overboard anti-woolite imo.
I know it's a little overboard.  I wouldn't think the NCAA's would be a lock next year, though.

January 19, 2006, 02:23:30 PM
Reply #6

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Also, don't rule out the possibility of transfers or Martin going League.

I guess one of the advantages of recruiting a ton of JUCO's is it's almost impossible for them to leave early.

I just realized today that Harris and Martin are the only two guards that have played for Jim more than two years.  That's pretty incredible.

January 19, 2006, 02:46:49 PM
Reply #7

Super PurpleCat

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Since 1996
Wins good, Losses bad.

January 19, 2006, 02:59:56 PM
Reply #8

Saulbadguy

Ricardo Patton is just a black Wayne Morgan.  Oh, whoops.

Seriously, 3 wins in a row in league play would be good. 

January 19, 2006, 03:34:10 PM
Reply #9

JavaCat

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

First of all...
Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

So cool.

Back to the topic...a win is a win. If it's going to take 6 years to start winning then it took 6 years. Who gives a sh*t at this point. Just as long as we keep winning. Yeah, I have doubts Wooldridge will consistently put out a winning team. If he wins this year though you're going to have to allow him to prove you wrong again. A&M went to OSU and lost by 2. I don't think anybody besides Texas is blowing anybody out consistently unless you're playing Baylor. There are disappointing aspects of the win last night and the win against ku, but I'd much rather be disappointed in aspects of a win than a loss.

I can't see Martin going to the NBA. I doubt there's going to be enough pressure for a guy to come to the NBA that has such trouble putting the ball on the floor. I pretty much don't watch the NBA anymore though so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're looking for a big guy with a sweet shot that has the potential to be greater than he is and maybe they think they can coach him into something better.

January 19, 2006, 03:52:07 PM
Reply #10

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
First of all...
Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

So cool.

Back to the topic...a win is a win. If it's going to take 6 years to start winning then it took 6 years. Who gives a sh*t at this point. Just as long as we keep winning. Yeah, I have doubts Wooldridge will consistently put out a winning team. If he wins this year though you're going to have to allow him to prove you wrong again. A&M went to OSU and lost by 2. I don't think anybody besides Texas is blowing anybody out consistently unless you're playing Baylor. There are disappointing aspects of the win last night and the win against ku, but I'd much rather be disappointed in aspects of a win than a loss.

I can't see Martin going to the NBA. I doubt there's going to be enough pressure for a guy to come to the NBA that has such trouble putting the ball on the floor. I pretty much don't watch the NBA anymore though so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're looking for a big guy with a sweet shot that has the potential to be greater than he is and maybe they think they can coach him into something better.

I don't think Martin is NBA material, either.  That said, Mark Young left early, and it seems like about half of Jim's recruits end up hating him.  The most likely defection I can see is Curtis Allen. 

The 2007 recruiting class scares the crap out of me.  He's going to have to replace Afeli, Hughes, Harris, Martin, Afeli, Taybron, and Wright.  If ADTW gives another catious two-year extension "for recruiting", opposing coaches are still going to be able to tell HS recruits that Jim won't be around for long.  Recruiting will suck and we're going to be bad in 07-08.

January 19, 2006, 04:00:49 PM
Reply #11

JavaCat

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

Good point. Is Morias not coming anymore? I guess I never really saw what happened with him. Crap, now I'm depressed.

January 19, 2006, 04:01:26 PM
Reply #12

Saulbadguy

I agree about the recruiting class. So far we've got a JUCO PF.

Won't Afeli have the full 4 years of eligibility?  Academically he is a junior, but this is his first year of college basketball?

Morias signed a contract to play ball in Europe.

January 19, 2006, 08:58:04 PM
Reply #13

Super PurpleCat

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Since 1996
Everyone is still expecting Wooly to be gone by the end of this year, the ku win not withstanding.  It'll take a miracle to make this a miracle season (heh), but even then, isn't it a bit too late here in extended year 6?

January 19, 2006, 09:43:58 PM
Reply #14

Saulbadguy

9-7 (including another win vs ku)
1 win in the Big XII tourney
8 seed in the tournament, beat by a 9 seed automatically

Keep or fire Wooly?

January 19, 2006, 09:49:21 PM
Reply #15

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
9-7 (including another win vs ku)
1 win in the Big XII tourney
8 seed in the tournament, beat by a 9 seed automatically

Keep or fire Wooly?
You have to keep him in that situation.  I wouldn't want to, but you'd have to.

January 19, 2006, 10:51:37 PM
Reply #16

Super PurpleCat

• Cub

• Personal Text
    Since 1996
Then if it looks like that's gonna happen, we gotta do some fan sabotage.  Someone has to wear a UMKC shirt so Wooly can see it.  Damage done, season over, we avoid an unnecessary extension, Wefald can pick his next nice guy.

January 20, 2006, 11:37:05 AM
Reply #17

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Whitlock did his thing, he showed that he played football in college and watches a lot of NBA basketball.  Some of the points he made were valid, but as much as I liked Hughes play, I'd rather have Diarra in the game during crunch time.  And his thoughts on Hoskins are boarderline rediculous.  I like Hoskins, but he shows many of the same "I'm going to pout and not play defense if the refs don't call fouls" kind of junk Massey did his first year.  I think he'll be fine eventually like Jeremiah was though.

I think Wooly needs to win 9 games, but I wouldn't be shocked if they keep him with 8 wins and an NIT trip. 

February 08, 2009, 08:46:54 AM
Reply #18

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

Whitlock knows what he's talking about in terms of roundball.

"Just a general question...Anyone else think Brian Smoller sounds like Bob Costas? I've told him that for years and he never believes me". - D. Scott Fritchen

February 08, 2009, 11:27:32 AM
Reply #19

kougar24

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    shame on you, non-believers
That was a fun little trip down mem. lane.