Author Topic: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam  (Read 99658 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible Muslims Doing Sensible Muslim Things in the Name of Islam
« Reply #975 on: October 02, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
I appreciate the debate and candor guys! That did help me to understand it myself. I know I have heard it from other people that they just aren't attracted to *insert race here*, while in reality they more likely find certain traits appealing and are over generalizing an entire race based on stereotypes (or their own experiences). I personally have perceived superficial preferences but when I meet someone who is genuine, whom I also share interests with, those preferences generally fly out the window.

I'll admit the initial question was left vague on purpose to encourage response. As a white male who grew up around very little diversity in central Kansas, it is interesting to both determine where my own perceptions of preference have come from as well as noticing how they have changed.

Just to continue the conversation a bit, if I don't find a specific accent attractive and that accent is related to a certain group of people. . .is that discriminatory? It is sterotypical, but I know many women who go goo-goo over certain accents but are equally repelled by others.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 02, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »
I appreciate the debate and candor guys! That did help me to understand it myself. I know I have heard it from other people that they just aren't attracted to *insert race here*, while in reality they more likely find certain traits appealing and are over generalizing an entire race based on stereotypes (or their own experiences). I personally have perceived superficial preferences but when I meet someone who is genuine, whom I also share interests with, those preferences generally fly out the window.

I'll admit the initial question was left vague on purpose to encourage response. As a white male who grew up around very little diversity in central Kansas, it is interesting to both determine where my own perceptions of preference have come from as well as noticing how they have changed.

Just to continue the conversation a bit, if I don't find a specific accent attractive and that accent is related to a certain group of people. . .is that discriminatory? It is sterotypical, but I know many women who go goo-goo over certain accents but are equally repelled by others.

No yard dog, it isn't discriminatory, or stereotypical, or racist; it's just not liking what a voice sounds like.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
"I don't like French accents" is quite a bit different than "I already know I won't like her voice because she is French."

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 02, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »
"I don't like French accents" is quite a bit different than "I already know I won't like her voice because she is French."

But it could easily be inferred that if you didn't find french accents attractive, had met many individuals who helped to reinforce that trait that you related with someone being from France, and I mentioned I had a cute friend from France coming into town you might like. . .you might initially have the confidence that the accent would most likely be a deal breaker and in turn might go out of your way to avoid the encounter because you have better things to do/don't want to waste your time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 02, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

But it could easily be inferred that if you didn't find french accents attractive, had met many individuals who helped to reinforce that trait that you related with someone being from France, and I mentioned I had a cute friend from France coming into town you might like. . .you might initially have the confidence that the accent would most likely be a deal breaker and in turn might go out of your way to avoid the encounter because you have better things to do/don't want to waste your time.

Not racist, just a loner/weirdo/moron who wouldn't get the cookie anyway.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 02, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »
 This discussion is bring to mind another question which actually has been the subject of my Facebook feed lately.......

If you refuse to date someone because they are transgender, does that make you transphobic?

Like if you say you are attracted to women, and then have the opportunity to date a trans-woman who would otherwise meet all of your dating criteria, ...if you don't date her is that transphobic?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 02, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
This discussion is bring to mind another question which actually has been the subject of my Facebook feed lately.......

If you refuse to date someone because they are transgender, does that make you transphobic?

Like if you say you are attracted to women, and then have the opportunity to date a trans-woman who would otherwise meet all of your dating criteria, ...if you don't date her is that transphobic?

If we're looking for a simple yes or no, I'd go with no. Sex and/or reproduction are very important to most when it comes dating someone. If you are simply looking for a companion and gender doesn't matter to you and you dismiss that companionship opportunity simply someone is trans, then yep. I can't think of another scenario that would be considered transphobic.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 02, 2017, 05:33:36 PM »
i don't understand how someone could say that they aren't attracted to middle eastern women. some of the hottest women i've ever met have been turkish, israeli and iranian.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 02, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »

If we're looking for a simple yes or no, I'd go with no. Sex and/or reproduction are very important to most when it comes dating someone. If you are simply looking for a companion and gender doesn't matter to you and you dismiss that companionship opportunity simply someone is trans, then yep. I can't think of another scenario that would be considered transphobic.

I'd go a step further and say even in most of the scenario highlighted by MIR it's not necessarily transphobic. Someone might refuse to date a trans person because they believe the choice to change sexes reflects a character trait that they find unappealing.

The big difference to me is that the whole point of transgender is the fact the trans person makes a deliberate choice. You have a right to weigh that choice the same as any other choice in evaluating someone as a companion.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 02, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Just like a Jew refusing to date someone because they are Muslim is not Islamaphobic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 02, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Just like a Jew refusing to date someone because they are Muslim is not Islamaphobic.

I get your point but I don't think it's the same. Also I agree that this doesn't make someone Islamaphobic, but it's bigotry. There are plenty examples of people marrying with different ideologies. I have a friend who is Jewish and she married a devout, Southern Baptist, Baylor grad.

Dismissing someone based on religion is just as silly as dismissing someone based on race.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #986 on: October 02, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
This entire back and forth evaluating whether a subjective preference is racism is wonderfully demonstrative of how trite, meaningless, and utterly childish a degree in social sciences is. You should have to retake high school as punishment for enlisting in 4 years of that echo chamber.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 02, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
i don't understand how someone could say that they aren't attracted to middle eastern women. some of the hottest women i've ever met have been turkish, israeli and iranian.

Agreed

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 02, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
Way to ruin my thread, jerks. What the hell are you even talking about and what does this have to do with Muslims doing sensible Muslim things in the name of Islam?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 02, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
Hey I kinda brought it back to the Muslim thing.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
How does KSU know there are no Muslims being sensible itt?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 02, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
This entire back and forth evaluating whether a subjective preference is racism is wonderfully demonstrative of how trite, meaningless, and utterly childish a degree in social sciences is. You should have to retake high school as punishment for enlisting in 4 years of that echo chamber.

There's no back and forth FSD, I think we all agree that subjective preference that is based on race is absolutely racism. We know you feel otherwise so if you want to let lose then we all can have a true back and forth between all of us vs you and ksuw.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »

Calling everyone who disagrees with you a racist is childish, shallow and pathetic.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Basically exactly what you'd expect from someone with a psuedo science degree in echo chamber group think.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 02, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »

Calling everyone who disagrees with you a racist is childish, shallow and pathetic.

Who did that? I only called you and KSUW racist. I'm having a back and forth with Pete right now, he definitely isn't racist, you are though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
I've only seen racists being called racist in the last few pages ITT.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »

Who did that? I only called you and KSUW racist. I'm having a back and forth with Pete right now, he definitely isn't racist, you are though.

You are a racist

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
/thread

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 02, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »

You are a racist

Cool, you and me, peas in a pod :cheers:

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 03, 2017, 05:19:25 AM »
I just didn't know if I said something like, "I find that there are women in the middle east who are quite beautiful but I don't think I would pursue them (ie I dont find myself attracted to them)." - is that a racist thought or a normal thing that people could say that we would all understand?

As long as you don't express racial superiority, jmho.

1. No one said a thing about "pursuit." I'm quite sure you don't pursue every white girl you find attractive.   YD said "pursue", whatever that means
2. If you find someone attractive but their race stops you from wanting to do whatever with her, that's absolutely an expression of racial superiority. You're saying her race doesn't reach your standard of acceptability.

See where your coming from.  It appears to me the ever changing definition of racism (or race) seems to perpetuate this discussion/argument to no end.  Does one physical attribute define one's race?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:56:57 AM by slackcat »