Author Topic: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)  (Read 35294 times)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
The thing that's struck me most about the "message boarding" across lines for this game so far is that it is almost IDENTICAL to that which occurred just over a year ago with the good people from NDSU.

Except...  the tables were turned and WE were the bigger, faster, more athletic team from the "power" conference and they were just a well schooled, fundamentally sound, hard working group of quality athletes that believed they could win when nobody gave them any shot.  This entire attitude permeated throughout our entire fanbase save for a very few who would say "It might be a close game" and even fewer who actually gave them any shot of actually pulling off the un-imaginable.

I admit to falling prey to it myself and even convinced myself that our coaches would have our kids ready and convinced of the challenge they faced in the Bison.  Not until after we lost a game we probably shouldn't have did we find out that our kids took NDSU a bit for granted, and why wouldn't they?   Save for a few coaches trying to tell our youngsters what they were up against; the media, the fans, their friends and teammates all believed our team should win by 14-20 points without prepping like it was a "championship game".  Guess what?  That game was NDSU's "Super Bowl" and it showed on the field.

I'm not guaranteeing we will win, but what I do know is that our kids are treating this game EXACTLY the same way that NDSU treated their game with us. I am of the belief that while the Auburn kids are likely focused and doing their best to prepare for this as if it were just another non-con road game, there is NO WAY I can be convinced that there is the same focus and intensity in the preparation that's taking place at Auburn.

Just a little food for thought as to why I, amongst others, believe we will win this game. It makes NO sense whatsoever on paper to the casual observer and having fallen prey to the "there's no way we can lose to these guys" syndrome just 12 months ago, I understand exactly why every Auburn fan with an internet connection feels the same way as I did. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
bears are fast...

Offline autalkinghead

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs Auburn - Serious Game Discussion Thread (No Bullshit)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
The thing that's struck me most about the "message boarding" across lines for this game so far is that it is almost IDENTICAL to that which occurred just over a year ago with the good people from NDSU.

Except...  the tables were turned and WE were the bigger, faster, more athletic team from the "power" conference and they were just a well schooled, fundamentally sound, hard working group of quality athletes that believed they could win when nobody gave them any shot.  This entire attitude permeated throughout our entire fanbase save for a very few who would say "It might be a close game" and even fewer who actually gave them any shot of actually pulling off the un-imaginable.

I admit to falling prey to it myself and even convinced myself that our coaches would have our kids ready and convinced of the challenge they faced in the Bison.  Not until after we lost a game we probably shouldn't have did we find out that our kids took NDSU a bit for granted, and why wouldn't they?   Save for a few coaches trying to tell our youngsters what they were up against; the media, the fans, their friends and teammates all believed our team should win by 14-20 points without prepping like it was a "championship game".  Guess what?  That game was NDSU's "Super Bowl" and it showed on the field.

I'm not guaranteeing we will win, but what I do know is that our kids are treating this game EXACTLY the same way that NDSU treated their game with us. I am of the belief that while the Auburn kids are likely focused and doing their best to prepare for this as if it were just another non-con road game, there is NO WAY I can be convinced that there is the same focus and intensity in the preparation that's taking place at Auburn.

Just a little food for thought as to why I, amongst others, believe we will win this game. It makes NO sense whatsoever on paper to the casual observer and having fallen prey to the "there's no way we can lose to these guys" syndrome just 12 months ago, I understand exactly why every Auburn fan with an internet connection feels the same way as I did.

I bet Nick Marshall could read some of these words.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
I fear an Oregon-like experience where our hard-working / focused athletes are admirable, but don't have a match for the speed that Auburn will bring to the table.  We hope that's not the case, but the speed Auburn has on both sides of the ball will make it very difficult for the 'Cats to score and defend either Auburn's run or pass game.   :dubious:

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
I honestly expect a close, hard fought game that is still in question when the 4th quarter begins.  My gut tells me that Auburn then pulls away and goes on for a 14-17 point win, but who knows really?  Weather can play a huge factor as well.  You guys haven't yet seen anything like our heat and humidity team speed.  I don't say that to be cocky, just that Malzahn is just a damn beast when it comes to running the HUNH offense.  I was amazed myself watching the 2009 team when he first cam in as the OC.  It's something that you have to prepare a long time for and Arkansas may have had the best shot of anyone yet.  They kept them under 50...

Offline opticalcarrier

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
ill admit I havent watched KSU play yet, but have you watched AU's defense?  I see some problems there.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
ill admit I havent watched KSU play yet, but have you watched AU's defense?  I see some problems there.

Yeah I have heard blamers defense isn't good this year. The Coal ags hung some points on you.

Offline autalkinghead

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
I fear an Oregon-like experience where our hard-working / focused athletes are admirable, but don't have a match for the speed that Auburn will bring to the table.  We hope that's not the case, but the speed Auburn has on both sides of the ball will make it very difficult for the 'Cats to score and defend either Auburn's run or pass game.   :dubious:

One thing you have going for you is that we always struggle against big time wideouts. I have no idea why but marquee receivers tend to have a field day against us ever since Tubs left. Evans, Watkins, Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery, etc. had career days against us, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Lockett perform similarly.

Honestly your best bet against us is to keep everything in front of you and force as many plays as possible before we make it into the end zone. We're gonna move the ball, but Marshall carries the damn football like a loaf of bread and he fumbles constantly. He's also not the most accurate passer so you can force him to throw some picks. Artis-Payne has been known to fumble the ball as well.

So basically the more plays you force in a drive, the more opportunities you have to force a turnover. You're gonna have to score some points, but if you can force two or three turnovers and score in the upper twenties, that's your best bet of beating us.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
I honestly expect a close, hard fought game that is still in question when the 4th quarter begins.  My gut tells me that Auburn then pulls away and goes on for a 14-17 point win, but who knows really?  Weather can play a huge factor as well.  You guys haven't yet seen anything like our heat and humidity team speed.  I don't say that to be cocky, just that Malzahn is just a damn beast when it comes to running the HUNH offense.  I was amazed myself watching the 2009 team when he first cam in as the OC.  It's something that you have to prepare a long time for and Arkansas may have had the best shot of anyone yet.  They kept them under 50...

if only we played against teams that ran this style of offense before

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »

Perhaps this is the case, maybe not though. I can't wait to find out next Thursday, however.

We ALL found out what can happen when a superior team goes on the road for the first time (current season) against a group with their backs against the wall in a hostile environment when the 'Cats traveled to ISU.  Most of what you said could also be applied to our trip to Ames.

I don't remember having this huge speed discrepancy with aggy or mizzou, yet they've averaged 49 points collectively vs Auburn in 3 games with predominantly Big12 caliber athletes.  You'd be hard pressed to convince me that either of those teams are as skilled or efficient offensively than our group and statistics prove that out.

bears are fast...

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
It just sucks that we have to wait another week to find out who is right.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
I honestly expect a close, hard fought game that is still in question when the 4th quarter begins.  My gut tells me that Auburn then pulls away and goes on for a 14-17 point win, but who knows really?  Weather can play a huge factor as well.  You guys haven't yet seen anything like our heat and humidity team speed.  I don't say that to be cocky, just that Malzahn is just a damn beast when it comes to running the HUNH offense. I was amazed myself watching the 2009 team when he first cam in as the OC.  It's something that you have to prepare a long time for and Arkansas may have had the best shot of anyone yet.  They kept them under 50...

Perhaps your offense will seem to be in slow motion to our youngsters.  A quick search of the web turned up: http://247sports.com/Article/Looking-at-the-pace-of-play-in-college-football-fastest-teams-29893036

It seems that Tech (#1) & Baylor(#6) both were in the top 6 of plays per game, with UT at #21 while Auburn failed to make the top 25.  Also, as to actual "pace" or time it takes to snap the ball, Tech was #2, Baylor #4 and UT #20... Again, no Auburn.

It's funny you mention arky though... We are getting WAY more out of that game scout than you could ever imagine.   :fatty:

It just sucks that we have to wait another week to find out who is right.

Truest thing posted so far. While I try not to scoff at your 14-17 point victory prediction, I think it's important to know that we didn't lose any games by more than 10 points last year and I'm of the belief that OU, Okie Lite and Baylor were all better teams than Auburn last year.

Statistical analysis of last season (I know, that's last season...) shows that our teams were almost dead even in '13.  Where you guys had a couple miraculous wins and some real luck at aggy, we were the polar opposite when it came to getting breaks at the end of games.   Our 8-5 was just as close to being 11-2 as your 12-2 was to being 9-5 if that makes sense.

bears are fast...

Offline opticalcarrier

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
heres the thing...  GM's coaching staff seems to be different than AU staffs of the past.. they now seem to be able to actually develop the talent they are getting.  I would hope this also translates to not looking at this as your run of the mill OOC game.

Besides that, Im very happy with our special teams.  Obviously last year had some nice surprises, and we seem to have a great punter as well.

What are your predictions as far as running vs passing on AU?

Offline opticalcarrier

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
... I think it's important to know that we didn't lose any games by more than 10 points last year and I'm of the belief that OU, Okie Lite and Baylor were all better teams than Auburn last year.

Statistical analysis of last season (I know, that's last season...) shows that our teams were almost dead even in '13.  Where you guys had a couple miraculous wins and some real luck at aggy, we were the polar opposite when it came to getting breaks at the end of games.   Our 8-5 was just as close to being 11-2 as your 12-2 was to being 9-5 if that makes sense.

I cant agree with you there.. do you believe KSU or OU, Okie Lite and Baylor would have taken it to FSU for 59:47 last year?

EDIT:  on your 8-5, 11-2, 12-2, 9-5 thign, yes, AU was fortunate when they needed it the most, but look at how close the BCSCG was

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »
heres the thing...  GM's coaching staff seems to be different than AU staffs of the past.. they now seem to be able to actually develop the talent they are getting.  I would hope this also translates to not looking at this as your run of the mill OOC game.

Besides that, Im very happy with our special teams.  Obviously last year had some nice surprises, and we seem to have a great punter as well.

Our run game is designed so that we always have numbers that force the defense to make a lot of one on one tackles. If Auburn tackles well, they will stop the run just fine. Otherwise, expect a running back by committee plus Waters to get over 200 yards on the ground. Lockett is an elite receiver when healthy but was clearly not 100% vs ISU. Hopefully he has recovered enough to turn the burners on and return kicks by Thursday. Waters throws a nice ball, but occasionally has accuracy issues. The offense is very calculated, so when he misses easy throws, drives die. It's frustrating to watch, but fun when he's on.

The defense takes very few chances, and is built on the philosophy of not giving up big plays.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
... I think it's important to know that we didn't lose any games by more than 10 points last year and I'm of the belief that OU, Okie Lite and Baylor were all better teams than Auburn last year.

I cant agree with you there.. do you believe KSU or OU, Okie Lite and Baylor would have taken it to FSU for 59:47 last year?

EDIT:  on your 8-5, 11-2, 12-2, 9-5 thign, yes, AU was fortunate when they needed it the most, but look at how close the BCSCG was

OSU was a much better team last year than they are this year and they played FSU pretty close a couple of weeks ago.

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Truest thing posted so far. While I try not to scoff at your 14-17 point victory prediction, I think it's important to know that we didn't lose any games by more than 10 points last year and I'm of the belief that OU, Okie Lite and Baylor were all better teams than Auburn last year.

Can't argue with you there.  Auburn is the luckiest team in America.  Just ask ESPN.

Offline autalkinghead

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
When God is on your side you don't need luck.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

Hopefully it will make sense this way... Do you think your kids are approaching this game with the same intensity as say, the Iron Bowl? the SEC CCG? the BCS game?  I have it on good authority that our kids are, which IMHO, gives us a reasonable edge in preparation.

As for predictions for what we'll do running vs passing on AU... The belief is that you have faster athletes and anybody that's ever been around football know you run straight at speed, which happens to coincide with what we are best at in the running game.  LHCBS will seek balance in the offense and will exploit any edge we have or deficiency he can find in your defensive tapes with our passing game.

I suspect you don't have anybody on the roster that can cover #16.  If it makes you feel any better, he made a fourth round & first round corner look foolish last fall & totaling 12 REC, 278 YDS, 3 TD vs OU (Colvin) and 8 REC, 123 YDS, 1 TD vs TCU (Verrett)
bears are fast...

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »

OSU was a much better team last year than they are this year and they played FSU pretty close a couple of weeks ago.

Took the words right outta my mouth.  By the end of the season, I think we'd have been competitive with F$U and think OU, Okie Lite or Baylor all would've likely beaten them.

bears are fast...

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
I gotta get back to my own world.  The longer I stay here, the more frightened I get.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I gotta get back to my own world.  The longer I stay here, the more frightened I get.

Before you go, what do you know about the seriousness of the Sammie Coates knee injury?  I know he missed the SJSU game because of it...

:Wha:
bears are fast...

Offline damonismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

Before you go, what do you know about the seriousness of the Sammie Coates knee injury?  I know he missed the SJSU game because of it...

It could be serious

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »

It could be serious

bears are fast...

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

It could be serious

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/auburn_expects_sammie_coates_t.html
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline opticalcarrier

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
why such a struggle against ISU?  What do you see yourself doing so much better at this Thurs?