Author Topic: Piss Pounding Auburn - The Truth  (Read 81868 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Piss Pounding Auburn - The Truth
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Lately there has been quite a bit of talk, maybe too much talk, in the football coaching community about the high probability that Kansas State will "Piss Pound" Auburn next week (their term, not mine).

As most of you know, LHC Bill Snyder's coaching tree is vast, far greater, for example, than that of someone who was coaching high school sports a handful of years ago.  It is through these numerous and distinguished channels that this opinion radiates.

Apparently there are a number of factors contributing to this.  Key among them are sentiments such as, but not limited to; "Auburn has not seen a quarterback like Jake Waters since Cam walked off campus," "Ryan Mueller would be the 1 overall draft pick if he played on the over-hyped SEC, and would easily be the Defensive Player of the Year in that conference," "Tyler Lockett will earn MILLIONS after scouts see his film against Auburn."   It goes on and on...

I was curious if you guys on this board were thinking similarly about this game?

For me, it seems to jibe with my gut feeling as well.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Piss Pounding Auburn - The Truth
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
Cake walk.  :zzz:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
I just hope we don't overlook them.  UTEP looked really solid against Tech, and I could easily see us looking forward to trying to prevent that from becoming a real slobberknocker.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
Who am I to disagree with a coaching tree as legendary as LHC Bill Snyder's?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
I think the "piss pound" talk has probably died down a bit since our somewhat underwhelming performance against ISU. I think a win by 10-17 pts is much more realistic, in line with the Vegas odds makers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
In their 3 games with the former middle of the pack Big12 teams that joined the SEC-SEC-SEC, they've allowed an AVERAGE of 49 points per contest.  I'd say your sources are pretty accurate.

:drool:  :emawkid:  :drool:
bears are fast...

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »
I just wish we would have played this game last week and had ISU next Thurs.  Quite honestly, we could have used the Auburn game as a warm up and could have really used the extra time to get more prepared for ISU. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

I think the "piss pound" talk has probably died down a bit since our somewhat underwhelming performance against ISU. I think a win by 10-17 pts is much more realistic, in line with the Vegas odds makers.

Fair point.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »
I think a large amount of this conjecture is based on the homefield advantage at BSFS.  The noise is something Auburn isn't used to and can't effectively be reproduced.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
I'm already looking ahead to UTEP. Did you guys see what they did to Kingsbury? His hair was all messed up by the 3rd quarter.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
Why did they hire a high school coach for their football team? Are they like super poor because they are in the south?

Offline Harvey Updyke

• Fan
  • Bama's Number One Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Why did they hire a high school coach for their football team? Are they like super poor because they are in the south?

thats part of it. moreso though they spent all there money buying players.
Roll Damn Tide!!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »

I think a large amount of this conjecture is based on the homefield advantage at BSFS.  The noise is something Auburn isn't used to and can't effectively be reproduced.

There is a great quote from former USC coach Pete Carroll about how BSFS is the loudest in the country, so I suspect you are right.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »

There is a great quote from former USC coach Pete Carroll about how BSFS is the loudest in the country, so I suspect you are right.

Same Pete Carroll who won a national title and is defending Super Bowl champ?

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

Same Pete Carroll who won a national title and is defending Super Bowl champ?

Yep. That's the one... But Kstater's call him Peter. We earned that.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
I just hope we don't overlook them.  UTEP looked really solid against Tech, and I could easily see us looking forward to trying to prevent that from becoming a real slobberknocker.

Certainly looks like it could be a trap game.  Just hope LHCBS can keep the boys focused for a couple of quarters at least.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
A few notes on the state of Alabama's B team and the SEC as a whole:

Chizik: Was an awful coach at a bottom feeder Big 12 school.  Goes to Auburn and destroys the SEC.  Auburn: taking ISU's leftovers and still able to beat a conference because it is terrible.

Tuberville: Coaches at Auburn for like 20 years and can't hack it in the Big 12.  He won an SEC title (maybe more?) and couldn't break 7 wins in the Big 12.

SEC DPOY Sams - Best defensive player in the conference barely gets drafted and gets sent to a practice squad.  Auburn's offense puts up points because their best defensive player in the whole conference can't even make an NFL roster :lol:

This game is going to be similar to when we beat Miami a couple of years ago.  KSU by 28+

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
I don't follow this thread, what does the Truth have to do with any of this?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
A few notes on the state of Alabama's B team and the SEC as a whole:

Chizik: Was an awful coach at a bottom feeder Big 12 school.  Goes to Auburn and destroys the SEC.  Auburn: taking ISU's leftovers and still able to beat a conference because it is terrible.

Tuberville: Coaches at Auburn for like 20 years and can't hack it in the Big 12.  He won an SEC title (maybe more?) and couldn't break 7 wins in the Big 12.

SEC DPOY Sams - Best defensive player in the conference barely gets drafted and gets sent to a practice squad.  Auburn's offense puts up points because their best defensive player in the whole conference can't even make an NFL roster :lol:

This game is going to be similar to when we beat Miami a couple of years ago.  KSU by 28+

These are all completely objective verifiable facts, and I do not think there is room to debate that this will be the best team Auburn has ever faced. 

But don't forget, they've had this game circled on their calendar for years.  Based on the level of competition in the SEC, I expect Auburn spent about 50% of its practice time prepping for the K-State game every week last year while they coasted through that division A&M has been exposing ever since they arrived.  Taking this into account, a 14-point Cats victory may be more realistic.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
i'll be honest with you, when i pulled up the schedule a few weeks ago and found out we were playing auburn this fall, the first thing that came to mind is, why?  we have nothing to prove by beating the tigers.

but over the past week or so i honestly think that head coach snyder wants to give his newer players a chance to play against an SEC team prior to the CFB playoff this january.  the SEC plays a slower, grind it out system similar to what you see in the B10.  a lot of their offenses rely on trickery and getting their opposition, "off balance".  the best way to prepare for this type of team is to play against one.

obviously saban isn't going to schedule snyder knowing he doesn't want to face him twice in one regular season game and one cfb playoff game.  so auburn, you're up. 

and yes, we're going to dominate them.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
To be honest, it will be nice to play a team from a conference that doesn't play much defense.  A shootout will be a nice change of pace from the rugged Big 12 type of football, I would like yo see or 'Cats playing football on grass.

Offline sak

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
In their 3 games with the former middle of the pack Big12 teams that joined the SEC-SEC-SEC, they've allowed an AVERAGE of 49 points per contest.  I'd say your sources are pretty accurate.

:drool:  :emawkid:  :drool:

Texas A&M and Missouri?

Well they beat both of them last season and in 2012, Texas A&M... that "middle or the road BIg 12 team" beat Oklahoma by like 4 touchdowns.

Keep on thinking that aTm is the same team that couldn't win the Big 12 if it makes you feel better.

The SEC really is that good. It doesn't guarantee Auburn beats Kansas State or any other individual game result... but the gap in talent and depth between the two conferences is large.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
When was the last time Pinkle put in a full day?  2 yrs?  They guy is in working retirement.  :driving: :cheers: :driving:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »

i'll be honest with you, when i pulled up the schedule a few weeks ago and found out we were playing auburn this fall, the first thing that came to mind is, why?  we have nothing to prove by beating the tigers.

but over the past week or so i honestly think that head coach snyder wants to give his newer players a chance to play against an SEC team prior to the CFB playoff this january.  the SEC plays a slower, grind it out system similar to what you see in the B10.  a lot of their offenses rely on trickery and getting their opposition, "off balance".  the best way to prepare for this type of team is to play against one.

obviously saban isn't going to schedule snyder knowing he doesn't want to face him twice in one regular season game and one cfb playoff game.  so auburn, you're up. 

I have to say that I don't disagree with any of this.  Great thoughts.  Thanks for the input!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »

This is spot on. I too was wondering what Snyder was thinking by putting these guys on the schedule, but now it makes perfect sense.