Author Topic: Summer Olympics thread  (Read 75629 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #750 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »
:love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 05, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
gatlin is a really good story. came back from everything he did to beat bolt in his final race. and he's as old as I am.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 05, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
and the international press is enraged  :lol:

The Big Train

« Reply #753 on: January 20, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
I don’t think we have a thread or anything for this but what a powerful speech.  His sentencing hearing was yesterday and this speech by Aly Raisman is incredibly powerful.

https://youtu.be/HWWFB6RZwgg

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 20, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
I don’t think we have a thread or anything for this but what a powerful speech.  His sentencing hearing was yesterday and this speech by Aly Raisman is incredibly powerful.

https://youtu.be/HWWFB6RZwgg

Kind of feels like it could go in the penn state / Michigan state thread but the dude is a monster for sure.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 21, 2021, 12:17:56 PM »
gatlin is a really good story. came back from everything he did to beat bolt in his final race. and he's as old as I am.
Anyone else watching the US Track and Field Olympic trials? Justin Gatlin is 39 yo and still out there mixing it up! Also, Allyson Felix is going  to the Olympics for the fifth time.

Looks like an exciting new crop of mens and womens sprinters coming up for the red white and blue.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 21, 2021, 05:18:07 PM »
Anyone else watching the US Track and Field Olympic trials? Justin Gatlin is 39 yo and still out there mixing it up! Also, Allyson Felix is going  to the Olympics for the fifth time.

Looks like an exciting new crop of mens and womens sprinters coming up for the red white and blue.

My whole family was locked in to this last night, it was awesome. Allyson Felix in that 400 was easily the highlight of the night. Felt sad for Gatlin, of course he looked like an old man in the final.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 22, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »

My whole family was locked in to this last night, it was awesome. Allyson Felix in that 400 was easily the highlight of the night. Felt sad for Gatlin, of course he looked like an old man in the final.
Felt bad for Donovan Brazier in the 800M last night. I don't know if he is hurt or sick or what. He just melted away over the final 150M.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 22, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing how Laurel Hubbard does.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 22, 2021, 10:42:55 AM »
Hahahah I'd have to include you as a groomsmen. And only you, I, and Canary would know the hilarity
@sundancekid

https://twitter.com/shelbo800/status/781525755553574912
Update. They're trying to hold my girl back from participating this year. Apparently found some steroid in her body, that she says was due to a burrito.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/06/14/shelby-houlihan-us-olympic-track-hopeful-tests-positive-steroid/7695211002/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 22, 2021, 08:46:52 PM »

Felt bad for Donovan Brazier in the 800M last night. I don't know if he is hurt or sick or what. He just melted away over the final 150M.

It was literally too hot for him to handle.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 23, 2021, 09:04:31 PM »
3v3 basketball is awesome. They should have called it streetball

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 27, 2021, 12:49:15 AM »
Our women’s volleyball team is goooood
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 27, 2021, 12:50:59 AM »
Well yeah, we kick ass at most women's sports, because freedom and equality.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 27, 2021, 12:55:55 AM »
eff yeah! I’ve been wanting to go to bed at a reasonable time recently but I can’t stop watching us whip ass

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2021, 04:14:28 AM »
I don't think skateboard transitions well to a TV spectator sport for casuals

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 27, 2021, 08:03:16 AM »
Our women’s volleyball team is goooood
Men won last night as well. Probably my fave Olympic sports to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 27, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »
Omg just saw the Simone news nooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 27, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
I'm all in on water polo. Yes, mostly because my daughter is into it but also it's fast paced (30 second shot clock), rough as hell, you see some cool shots, and games are ALWAYS less than an hour. Men and women are both great to watch!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 27, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
Heartbreaking quarterfinal loss for USA Rugby 7s against GB. Blew a huge lead.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »
Pretty horrible day for the USOC. The softball women lost in the gold medal game and Simone Biles just said, "nah, I'm good."

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 27, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
Pretty horrible day for the USOC. The softball women lost in the gold medal game and Simone Biles just said, "nah, I'm good."

I really want to hear her explanation (maybe it has already happened, I've had a busy day), like, it's obviously her call, her life, but it seems so out of character to not compete. It's probably a low blow by me but Kerri Strug she is not in that regard.

Add the USWNT tying Australia, while not horrible, wasn't good either.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 27, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
The discourse around this is really strange too. Mental health is important, but pretending this is a good thing is total nonsense.  ESPN called her “the ultimate teammate” after quitting on her team, because she cheered and got them chalk.
:adios:

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 27, 2021, 02:21:46 PM »
The discourse around this is really strange too. Mental health is important, but pretending this is a good thing is total nonsense.  ESPN called her “the ultimate teammate” after quitting on her team, because she cheered and got them chalk.

It's not like she had 5 years to get mentally ready for the Olympics.  This is probably more on the coaches than anything.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 27, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »

It's not like she had 5 years to get mentally ready for the Olympics.  This is probably more on the coaches than anything.

It's not just that for me, and I'll start this by saying she's an amazing athlete, one of the best if not the best OAT regardless of this decision, and I can kinda of see the whole when you know or can tell you're off, letting them know something isn't right and feeling like not competing is better than competing may just indeed be the best path forward, and I'm also not going to discount her at all, I can't imagine the pressure of being basically the face of this olympics for Team USA, has to be brutal.

That all being said, it's an unbelievable gut punch to her team and teammates to do that, you're the ringer, you're the ace. This is like Lebron, or Brady, or Mahomes or whoever just deciding right in the clutch moment to not perform and not be that clutch person and walk off the field and be like "you know I feel off, I'm just going to sit this out." Her (and their) entire life has revolved around that sport, the hours, practice, determination, everything, true competitors get to that level because they want to be there, so to just up and not want it is just astounding to me. It's such a departure from what makes elite athletes (or really anyone who is elite) tick. Be it artists, musicians, or any top notch professional. And if that feeling of burnout and self doubt no doubt exists in their psyche, but to have others count on your, and pull that rug out right at the moment you are set to perform what you've worked your whole life for, if not for you, do it for your teammates. It's a bitterly disappointing move from such a big star.

I do think though there is going to be a pretty juicy back story to come to light from this, it won't be pretty, I doubt she arrived at that decision organically, I wonder what machinations are going on behind the scenes....
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla