Author Topic: _FANframes: Razorback Running Game (with video)  (Read 3639 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANframes: Razorback Running Game (with video)
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
This is the first of an installment of three video breakdowns of the Arkansas offense. This one shows you some of the 1 back and 2 back running game you can expect to see in Jerry's World: http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=1717

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: _FANframes: Razorback Running Game (with video)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
We are so blessed to have you.

Offline gohogs14

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:47:51 AM »
Dennis Johnson is really the only one you have to worry about. He's fast and pretty hard to tackle but fumble prone. Wingo is a great receiver but is a soft runner...and green will get 2 yards every time. Our FB is a great lead blocker though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKPoZ1d1FWQ

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&id=665137
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:54:50 AM by gohogs14 »

Offline ShoelessWes

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
Dennis Johnson is really the only one you have to worry about. He's fast and pretty hard to tackle but fumble prone. Wingo is a great receiver but is a soft runner...and green will get 2 yards every time. Our FB is a great lead blocker though

I could not agree more.  Kiero Small is a legit fullback (I wish he saw the field more).  Over the season, Razorback fans have shaken their heads in sadness when Wingo or Broderick Green runs out on to the field.  These two, really, just don't pound the rock.  Wingo, honestly, should be moved to wide out.  Bobby, in his defense, is VERY loyal to these guys and has repeatedly given them the chance to prove themselves (and also done this to punish D Johnson when he gets the fumble bug).

Also, _Fan, the playcalling and play utilization will be quite different than you have been seeing in the videos, with Paul Petrino coming back.

We will show A LOT more 2 back, and you'll see a lot of the 1st down PA stuff we saw under Paul the first time he was at Arkansas.  McGehee likes the shotgun a lot more than Paul does, so you'll see less of that.  I would not be surprised if the first play of the game was the 2 back iso pa with the deep z route we used all the time under Paul the first go around.  He's going to push it deep and see how you guys play it, then build the run game off of that.  Paul tends to use the vertical passing game to establish the run, whereas McGehee was using the intermediate passing game when the run game would fail and would frequently ditch the run game all together.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
_Fan, would it be fair to call the last play on the 1 back inside zone a draw as well?  Both tackles allow penetration and run the ends upfield.  The right guard releases inside the three technique to get to the linebackers and the center runs the three tech upfield in a psuedo-trap.  There was a little bit of this on the other zone plays, but this seemed more pronounced.  Good breakdown, I really think holding their running game in check will be more important / harder than some are making it out to be.

Also liked that you managed to clip two plays with the K-State - KU score on the ESPN Bottomline  :gocho:
:adios:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
_Fan, would it be fair to call the last play on the 1 back inside zone a draw as well?  Both tackles allow penetration and run the ends upfield.  The right guard releases inside the three technique to get to the linebackers and the center runs the three tech upfield in a psuedo-trap.  There was a little bit of this on the other zone plays, but this seemed more pronounced.  Good breakdown, I really think holding their running game in check will be more important / harder than some are making it out to be.

Also liked that you managed to clip two plays with the K-State - KU score on the ESPN Bottomline  :gocho:

Yes, their one back zone often has a draw look to it. The one I labeled draw was the most obvious, but many of them use influence (initial pass sets) blocks from one (or more) of the offensive linemen.

Offline ShoelessWes

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
Yes, their one back zone often has a draw look to it. The one I labeled draw was the most obvious, but many of them use influence (initial pass sets) blocks from one (or more) of the offensive linemen.

If you go back and watch, you'll notice that this is something we tend to do only when Dennis Johnson is in the game.

I think we are taking a little card from LHC Bill Snyder on this one.  The if/pb is used for two reasons when he's in.  1. (obvious) to open up natural running lanes and take the ends out of their run fit.  2. (not as obvious and definitely something Snyder used to do) to get people standing up, so that you lose DJamer in the trees, because he's so short.  When we run draw/trad with if/pb by everyone, it is almost impossible for him to be spotted by the LBs/Secondary until he's past the linemen.

Offline ShoelessWes

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
Also, as the season has gone along, you've seen our splits decrease (which is counterintuitive to a passing offense).  I think this was also done to help Gragg suck people in and then get into space and  to hide Dennis Johnson.

Offline Big12isweak

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

I could not agree more.  Kiero Small is a legit fullback (I wish he saw the field more).  Over the season, Razorback fans have shaken their heads in sadness when Wingo or Broderick Green runs out on to the field.  These two, really, just don't pound the rock.  Wingo, honestly, should be moved to wide out.  Bobby, in his defense, is VERY loyal to these guys and has repeatedly given them the chance to prove themselves (and also done this to punish D Johnson when he gets the fumble bug).

Also, _Fan, the playcalling and play utilization will be quite different than you have been seeing in the videos, with Paul Petrino coming back.

We will show A LOT more 2 back, and you'll see a lot of the 1st down PA stuff we saw under Paul the first time he was at Arkansas.  McGehee likes the shotgun a lot more than Paul does, so you'll see less of that.  I would not be surprised if the first play of the game was the 2 back iso pa with the deep z route we used all the time under Paul the first go around.  He's going to push it deep and see how you guys play it, then build the run game off of that.  Paul tends to use the vertical passing game to establish the run, whereas McGehee was using the intermediate passing game when the run game would fail and would frequently ditch the run game all together.

Last time I checked BMFP calls the plays!

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

Big12isweak, more like yourusernameisweak, BOOM
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline ShoelessWes

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

He may have the final say, but that thing on his head isn't a bluetooth headset to his agent.