Author Topic: zenger/ku/conf realignment  (Read 45034 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
zenger/ku/conf realignment
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:09:10 AM »
if things do get crazy, is there any way that zenger at ku will end up backfiring on us and ku will drag us down and we will end up in a basketball first conference like the big east. i was all for zenger getting a chance at a school close to home. my family knows his family and i thought it was a pretty neat/feel good story, but now i'm worried that it could keep us from ending up in a fball conference like the sec. he has some close friends on kansas bor and if push comes to shove, i just don't know.

both currie and university pres kirk schulz have strong sec ties and we all heard the rumors that were floating around this time last year about us and mizzou to the sec (due to our fball programs) with the four south teams to the pac10. anyway, now that talks about a&m have started up again, i have to say that i'm a little concerned. much moreso than last year. i probably shouldn't be but still. anyone want to talk me down from the ledge?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: zenger/ku/conf realignment
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »
I talked to some big money types from SEC country and K-State has started working the back channels to try to get us detached from KU so we can hit the SEC when this goes down.  Said that the SEC has made it pretty clear that our invite is dependant on not having to drag KU along with us.  They hate Kentucky and want nothing to do with another Kentucky diluting their football pool let alone their other sports (baseball, etc.)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Governor Brownback and Senator Roberts (both EMAW) were both lobbying hard last summer for KU and KSU to stay together, but that was last summer and things were different.

Both were taking their marching orders from Snyder, and there are grumblings that Snyder no longer sees any value in being attached to KU...what with the Pac-10 no longer interested in KU and the SEC's obvious distaste for KU.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
my SEC contacts gave me a bit of info when we started negotiations with the SEC.  I guess there was a bit of a freak out at the regents meeting.  I say we just go above the regents and get this thing done.  we have to start looking out for #1 in this deal.  that's just my opinion.  obviously it's going to be tough not being in the same conference with KU given the history but they would be happier in a basketball conference like the A10 anyway.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
I talked to some big money types from SEC country and K-State has started working the back channels to try to get us detached from KU so we can hit the SEC when this goes down.  Said that the SEC has made it pretty clear that our invite is dependant on not having to drag KU along with us.  They hate Kentucky and want nothing to do with another Kentucky diluting their football pool let alone their other sports (baseball, etc.)

i have no doubt that both are working back channels. i hope shultz talked to alot of people at the pres meetings over the last few days and made it obvious for all who wanted to listen that we are not tied to ku and that we are in the middle of a 70 million dollar expansion on our fball stadium. hell, show them the construction bids, blueprints, etc.

my concern now and it's a big one, is that if a&m does jump up and take an sec invite, are they taking our sec invite? the sec is only going to invite two. i think that last year at this time it was us and mizzou. but if a&m goes and goes first, then what? do we get the invite over mu? i don't know. geographically they make much more sense and if the sec has any reason to think that we are tied to ku, then i think we're screwed.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
zenger is wildcat first.  he's only in lawrentucky because they PAY him to be there.  i have full confidence that zenger will do the right thing when the SEC comes calling and let us go, not weigh us down with KU.

i also think that if push came to shove, that Brownback and Pat Roberts would both pressure the BOR to release us from whatever mythical tie-in we have with the terrorists* in lawrentucky.

*yes, I called the jayhawkers terrorists.  they're nothing more than yesterday's equivilent of tim mcveigh, terry nichols, david koresh, and ted kaczynski (unibomber).  do some research on the hayseeds in lawrentucky, you'll understand then.  

it's embarrassing to be in the same conference with them.  what a complete joke.

here we are in MHK with the NABF with electron microscopes, and they're building pipe bombs and terrorizing eastern kansas and missouri.  

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
 obviously it's going to be tough not being in the same conference with KU given the history but they would be happier in a basketball conference like the A10 anyway.  

it really would be sad to not be in the same conference. half of my wife's family went to ku and they are huge jayhawk fans. really good people and i enjoy getting to joke around with them at family get togethers. heck, i'm sure we all have some friends that are jayhawks and have smilar stories. also, the short drive to lawrence to watch sporting events has always been nice. can get there, watch a game and get home all in a day with time to spare. at the end of the day though, we have to look out for kansas state university and do what is best for the school in the long run. imo.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »
All signs point to KSU to the SEC...and since we are also a big basketball school, we can create a heavyweight rivalry for conference champion every year with Kentucky.  I think being a two sport powerhouse gives us the edge over some of these other schools.  Rumors have it that ADJC shunned Populous to give the work to the company that did all the SEC schools.  Really trying to give business to where we will be for the future.  Great move on his part IMO.  

SEC sees things like E16, Full Nike contract, 14-1 against little bro, NBAF, etc.  Probably wondering why they didn't consider us last summer.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
what makes me kind of nervous is that we have the second most recognizable mascot in all of sports.  everyone knows that when they see the powercat, that k-state is coming lynch mob style.  hopefully they don't think the stupid terroristhawk is coming right behind us, even though no one really recognizes the terroristhawk.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
When Zenger, or "Zeng's" as my closest friends and family call him, got hired I had these same thoughts.  Sure Thanksgivings are wonderful, and the hunting trips, and the birthdays, and the times that we all just stand around the big green egg and smoke venison are great, etc.  But, business is business and family is family.  We need to be looking out for numero uno, and my concern is that watching K-State “walk away” may be too much should President Schultz ever decide on the need to "SEC-ede" from our brothers to the East.  Blood is thicker than water, and cat blood is particularly thick.  And at this point in time I don’t know of any groundbreaking veterinarian procedures that can magically take all of that cat blood out of Sheahon Zenger’s body.  Sorry, but that concerns me.

Lew may be gone, but this just may be a case of be careful what you wished for.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »
Zenger will do what's right for EMAW.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
I work with someone who has significant ties in Auburn country, hell, they sat/sit up in Tubberville/Chizik's suite at football games.   They confirmed there's strong feelings in Auburn that K-State must be invited to the SEC and that K-State must do everything they can to remove the (exact quote) "ku shackles".    They still laugh about the last time they played ku in football and ku asked for a running clock in the 2nd half. 

No doubt Cat Zenger will push hard to do what's right.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »
if you guys think that it's just dumb luck that we happen to be playing Alabama this year at Sprint Center, you're out of your mind.  the game is meant to test the logistics of a road basketball game in the winter between KC and SEC country.

they have these details all worked out for football since traveling is much easier in the fall.  basketball, winter, not so much. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:25:32 AM »
if you guys think that it's just dumb luck that we happen to be playing Alabama this year at Sprint Center, you're out of your mind.  the game is meant to test the logistics of a road basketball game in the winter between KC and SEC country.

they have these details all worked out for football since traveling is much easier in the fall.  basketball, winter, not so much. 
prince was ions ahead of the game he was trying to test the waters with each and every conference and then snyder had to come back and screw it all up

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »

prince was ions ahead of the game he was trying to test the waters with each and every conference and then snyder had to come back and screw it all up

Quote from:  Jay Bilas EPICSPELLINGPWN!
You mean an atom or molecule in which the total number of electrons is not equal to the total number of protons?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »

i think the word you were looking for is "freon", it's used as a coolent in air conditioning units.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »
one thing that i haven't even thought about until now is frank's recruiting of florida. it's already really good but the lack of close games no doubt has caused us to miss out on a couple of kids that we were leading for early. ex- kenny boynton. i doubt we miss out on those kids if we are playing close to their home several times a year. could be one of the more unexpected pleasant surprises to come out of this whole thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Rick Daris, my sources are saying the same things as yours.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
hmm maybe i mean freemeons ahead of his time

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
This thread is what bbs'ing is all about.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
Zenger will do what's right for EMAW.

emawbball yes.  he would literally cross the street to crap on emawfball, and in fact has done just that (metaphorically).  i have every confidence that he will do whatever he needs to ensure that team, state lives on forever (for bball).  the great news is that he'll be able to do so with a clear conscience, saving his employers ass while creating the tobacco road of the great plains (wheat road).

emaw.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
I'm most excited about playing a game in Mississippi every year, between both Ole' Miss and State.

Mississippi produces the most NFL talent, per capita, and we've always done very well recruiting jucos players from that state.

Now, with our lower entrance requirements (THANKS SHULZY!) and a foothold in that state, we'll be able to pull quite a few more players.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »
Who is going to start the online petition to the Regents and the Legislature to let them know how important it is that they do the right thing, and release K-State from the constraining bonds of ku?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
i'm reading this thread, and i'm wondering if i'm taking crazy pills.  because my sources have been telling me almost the exact opposite of what most everyone here seems to be hearing.

i'm going to be hitting the lakes and prolly golfing, drinking or horseback riding with a couple of bsacs later tonight, so, i'll see if i can get to the bottom of this.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Sources in Lawrence are hearing the same thing RD and the more enlightened are very nervous. Of course, there are some really dormant dumbasses who are only alive from November to March or April, so see nothing coming.