Author Topic: And it begins...  (Read 65137 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: And it begins...
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
Did Orris commit to Illinois before or after oscar started recruiting the type of players HE wanted to and not the type the fans wanted?

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
LOL at making Diaz a RS project.  It's not like he has shown skill that just needs a third yr of college and some weights to make it so that he can perform said skill.  They kid will be a junior next year.  One whose sole purpose in life has been to lift weights and play bb with and against other legitimate D1 players for almost two full years as of right now.  we should have witnessed more improvement both in skill and in durability, strength, whatevs than we have to date.  RS'ing him will only further deplete a bigs corp that is already being depleted with the lost of JO to the point of us having no one available over 6'-7". 

Going into conf like that seems like a bad idea.

Bolster the kid up on the D side as much as you can and ride with it.  Play for this coming year.

Also, holy crap on a possible Olyniyk comapro.

So, let me see if I can sum up your thoughts...

Diaz is terrible, not a legitimate D1 player and you haven't seen any promise of potential...yet we need him next year.  :horrorsurprise:

Do I have that about right?

No, I never said he isn't a legit D1 kid.  Also didn't say he was terrible.  What I said is that he isn't a project that we need to delay the use of.  We need height.

Yea, I removed the legitimate D1 thing when I read your post closer...

We do need height...but we needed height THIS YEAR, and oscar consistently went with a lineup that had our biggest guy on the court as Gipson. I think oscar THINKS he can win with bigs of Gipson/DJamer/Fincher/Nino (I refuse to lable Shane as a 'big' even though he played/plays the 4), while giving Diaz another year to get stronger...after all, if he sits a year, and is still a skinny rail, he is still tall for 14-15

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
oscar threw JO at a couple teams because of the height need.  Next year we will have the same need but without Diaz, won't have any height to do so.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
Did Orris commit to Illinois before or after oscar started recruiting the type of players HE wanted to and not the type the fans wanted?

before.  it didn't even occur to weber that he didn't have to keep orris until just now.  that's how oppressive the illinois fans' recruiting pressure was.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about apathy setting in around K-State basketball.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
oscar threw JO at a couple teams because of the height need.  Next year we will have the same need but without Diaz, won't have any height to do so.

if we still had jhr, it'd be ridiculous to rs hypothetical jhr.  but diaz doesn't play big, especially defensively, so you aren't really reducing the toolbox at your disposal.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about apathy setting in around K-State basketball.

apathy and spring recruiting cannot coexist.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »

if we still had jhr, it'd be ridiculous to rs hypothetical jhr.  but diaz doesn't play big, especially defensively, so you aren't really reducing the toolbox at your disposal.

If this is the case, we should just oscar him rather than RSing him.  The other bigs have shown more ability to score.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
Also, what are we savin Diaz for in 15/16 for?  To anchor a post ART team?  Screw that.  We should be building for Angel's Senior year and RS a marginal big in a time when we need size does not help that.

Diaz can score fine, but needs to spend the offseason chugging protein shakes and living his life like Mutumbo in that commercial.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
It would seem that Fincher might be as big of a RS candidate (if not bigger) than Diaz because his scouting says he is pretty raw offensively. Of course one of his biggest strengths coming in is shot blocking, so perhaps he will be an option as the "backstop of our defense".

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »

I'm sure someone else will start an apathy thread.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
I was hoping Diaz could be come a Jamar type of player (at least on O) when he had that run of 6 conference games where he averaged 5 and 5 in 20 minutes.  He has still managed to be 50+% fg shooter in both his seasons, I hope he stays.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
If this is the case, we should just oscar him rather than RSing him.  The other bigs have shown more ability to score.

gippy has.  johnson definitely has not.  the freshman, who knows, but the reports trend towards the idea that he'd have trouble scoring on an empty court.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
It would seem that Fincher might be as big of a RS candidate (if not bigger) than Diaz because his scouting says he is pretty raw offensively. Of course one of his biggest strengths coming in is shot blocking, so perhaps he will be an option as the "backstop of our defense".

i've talked myself into diaz making more sense, since he gives you the same thing as gippy (but not as good), offensive ability but poor defense.  fincher, in theory would be the opposite.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
Sys, if you had to choose right now, do you take DJamer or Diaz as your back up 5 next yr?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »

i've talked myself into diaz making more sense, since he gives you the same thing as gippy (but not as good), offensive ability but poor defense.  fincher, in theory would be the opposite.

At least Gip showed to be a pretty good rebounder (both ends). Diaz's deboarding was only better than Angel's (and barely better) and his oboarding was the worst of the bigs. Limited minutes could factor into that though, but I'm not sure how much.

Fincher will be interesting to see.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
I hope DJamer never cuts his hair for his whole career here

I said that about Tay and look what happened.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
i dont think that's his hair

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »

whatev, i hope he gets progressively longer weave.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

whatev, i hope he gets progressively longer weave.

If it got Carl Hall in to the FF then maybe worth doing?  :dunno:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Diaz's deboarding was only better than Angel's (and barely better) and his oboarding was the worst of the bigs.

yeah.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Sys, if you had to choose right now, do you take DJamer or Diaz as your back up 5 next yr?

i frank johnson and rs diaz.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
Height is overrated. Should be fine, Gip and Shane both have 7'+ wing spans. Everybody should expect for DJamer to make a big jump. Gip should loose some more weight. Fincher should be able to come in and defend, really raw offensively, but has some good length.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
Carl Hall cut his hair and remainded a badass (reminded me of the days of the Junkyard Cats).

catzacker

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
I still haven't read a good logical reason to RS anyone.  This isn't football.  Either recruit over diaz via juco or transfer or don't RS anyone so they have it available when you oscar them after next year.