Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106343 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Oh, and our clock management at the end of the game was completely laughable. Zero urgency, which I put on the coaches, and a couple times when we either should've called time out but didn't, or called time out after letting a bunch of time run off the clock.

No idea because I was at the game...did our coaches even notice/raise a stink to the refs when, around 2:40 left in the 4Q, a play went out of bounds and they still ran :20 off the clock before the next snap? Probably not because they are all olds.

Clock starts back up after spotting after going out of bounds when it's not under 2 minutes in a half.  Same timing rules as a first down.  They changes that rule before the 2011 season.
That is a dog crap rule

It was a rule constituted for TV. In the mid to late aughts, when spread offenses were really starting to take hold, games were taking 4+ hours and it was creating a real problem for TV. I remember a couple of times back then where the 2:30 ABC kickoff would last until or past the 7:00 kickoff.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
I guess that makes sense. But hey guys, how about our terrible playcalling tho, 'specially on that third and 11 before the field goal    :sdeek:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
I guess that makes sense. But hey guys, how about our terrible playcalling tho, 'specially on that third and 11 before the field goal    :sdeek:

Our offensive play calling was the worst. Everyone knew everytime  Ertz was going to run in the 2nd half.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
Play calls always suck when they don't work.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
Even if our 3rd and 11 had gained the same yardage as the terrible play call (so, like, no real yardage to speak of) but had at least centered the ball a little bit, it would've been a better play call because we would've walked away with 3 points. McCrane, our right footed kicker, missed that kick from the right hash by under two feet...to the right.

And I get the "play calls always suck when they don't work" thing if you're saying it as kind of a sarcastic thing. Nobody likes an armchair quarterback, and no coach can be expected to call plays that gain yardage every time. However, after the 15th time in like 16 plays that Ertz is stuffed trying to sneak it through the line, or after the 14th time in like 14 plays that we call and execute a pass play like a bunch of boneheads, it's pretty obvious that the playcalling sucks. The Vandy fans around us were LOLing at our offense because it was so completely predictable.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
i like armchair quarterbacks

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
I like that we busted out the pitch option and it ran all over their faces each time and then we got a late hit on one and never ran it again even tho it was getting like 12+ yards each time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
I agree with many of the concerns, namely continuing to run Ertz after Vandy started putting 7 in the box and not going back to speed option after it was successful for big plays a couple of times. Of course, the successful plays to Silmon were power/counter trey, which Vandy absolutely destroyed in the first half.

And I think some of the issues go back to the drops. Not only do the drops throw the offense off or rhythm and end drives, they factor into play calling, ie. I don't think the coaches start thinking "we can't continue to throw because our guys can't throw" but rather "we have guys open, we must continue to throw" and it didn't work. Also, credit Vandy with adjusting well against our checks, which goes back to the predictable part. Our counters or fake checks didn't outweigh theirs IMO, which demonstrates good coaching and execution on Vandy's part as much as stupidity on ours IMO.

Again, I don't think this was one of Dimel's better games, but I also don't think he's an idiot.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
I thought it was easily one of Dimel's worst games. His offense mustered 7 points. Against Vanderbilt. We were completely outcoached.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
I thought it was easily one of Dimel's worst games. His offense mustered 7 points. Against Vanderbilt. We were completely outcoached.

I can't disagree with any of that.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
Again, I don't think this was one of Dimel's better games, but I also don't think he's an idiot.

He's not an idiot.  He thinks very highly of himself & his system.  8 or 9 times a year it works.  Once or twice a year he goes up against something that for some reason it doesn't work.  Rather than adapt, he keeps calling the plays the defense dictates, regardless of situation or personnel, like the 2nd half of 2015 TCU or 2016 WVU.  When you see it happening again, it's very frustrating.  For me, it's more frustrating that he tells Kellis we have a top 5 run scheme because of the options & angles it creates, but he abandons it if the defense dictates pass and puts it all on his QBs shoulders, even if his QB is obviously shaken by what's happening.

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »
Yep. His biggest issue has always been over thinking which leads to exactly what you are saying.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
it is so damn frustrating. none of these are new but here we go:

1.play clock ALWAYS gets below 5. this allows for the crowd to build noise/excitement, and removes any element of surprise as to when the ball is going to be snapped. we use the same damn cadence every play:

"set GO!"
*look to sideline*
*change play if needed*
*clap*
*snap ball*

2.do we have shallow crossing routes in our offense?

3.did we forget what a screen is? (it looked like we were trying a quincy morgan tunnel screen when ertz threw his first pick)

4.how many times did we give the ball to our running backs on something other than a zone read?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
I really wanted more option in the 4th quarter.  :frown:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »

He's not an idiot.  He thinks very highly of himself & his system.  8 or 9 times a year it works.  Once or twice a year he goes up against something that for some reason it doesn't work.  Rather than adapt, he keeps calling the plays the defense dictates, regardless of situation or personnel, like the 2nd half of 2015 TCU or 2016 WVU.  When you see it happening again, it's very frustrating.  For me, it's more frustrating that he tells Kellis we have a top 5 run scheme because of the options & angles it creates, but he abandons it if the defense dictates pass and puts it all on his QBs shoulders, even if his QB is obviously shaken by what's happening.
I actually think he doesn't believe in the system as much as he should. I think he gave up on imagination to rely on Ertz left, Ertz right.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
I quit watching after the 4th quarter but it's pretty crazy we only gave up 14 points

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »
I agree with many of the concerns, namely continuing to run Ertz after Vandy started putting 7 in the box and not going back to speed option after it was successful for big plays a couple of times. Of course, the successful plays to Silmon were power/counter trey, which Vandy absolutely destroyed in the first half.

And I think some of the issues go back to the drops. Not only do the drops throw the offense off or rhythm and end drives, they factor into play calling, ie. I don't think the coaches start thinking "we can't continue to throw because our guys can't throw" but rather "we have guys open, we must continue to throw" and it didn't work. Also, credit Vandy with adjusting well against our checks, which goes back to the predictable part. Our counters or fake checks didn't outweigh theirs IMO, which demonstrates good coaching and execution on Vandy's part as much as stupidity on ours IMO.

He is an idoit. A monkey can dial up more than four plays and put in Warmack for a different look/WR option out of the backfield. Guy makes huge dollars to crap his pants in big game situations.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
I quit watching after the 4th quarter but it's pretty crazy we only gave up 14 points

I know. Our D had to be so pissed after the game at our pathetic offensive output.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
WHOOPS I QUIT WATCHING AFTER THE FIRST

The Big Train

« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
smdh

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
too cool for school
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
game was probably on too late in the morning for mich

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
Our backs carried the ball 11 times for 75 yards.  6.8 YPC. 

But by all means, let Jesse keep chucking. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
i'm gonna start punctuating his name dimeL because he is a gigantic loser

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Our backs carried the ball 11 times for 75 yards.  6.8 YPC. 

that stat surprised me so much i had to look it up to confirm. 7 of Barnes' carries went for 17 total yards, but overall it was still a good average.