Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142511 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #625 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
chum is wheeling on beefier gams than i anticipated from a distance running enthusiast. Good looking blood. Very human color and solid clotting response.

he posts like he has fat legs. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Yes. Let's talk about my fat legs. I've put on 15 pounds since last fall. Seriously, WTF? Should I be worried? Do I have some disease? Whatever it is, my legs are definitely looking fatter lately and I hate it. Then, I just got these new running shoes and they're bright white and really unflattering in my opinion and, of course, they just make my legs look EVEN FATTER! It's like I'm floating around on two blimps. You guys have no idea.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 06, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
 In the swoliecat thread you could be bragging about gainsing 15 lbs.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
i wanted to take a day off from running today, but i woke up at 6:05 and could get back to sleep, so you guessed it, I was out the door by 6:15.  definitely a day off tomorrow though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 06, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
chum, when you are ready to take a break from cyberbullying yourself, can you tell us how you bumped your knee?

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 06, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Ran a 5k at a monastery last weekend. Several monks posted very fast times. That vow of celibacy must improve sports performance by a goo 15 to 20 percent.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
 :Chirp:
chum, when you are ready to take a break from cyberbullying yourself, can you tell us how you bumped your knee?

Sure. Turned ankle on the side of a road with no curb, stumbled, and lost balance. That part's happened a bunch of times in the past when I was able to recover, as I'm sure everyone has experienced. This time, I couldn't get my other foot underneath my body fast enough to support it, so down I crashed on my knee and hands.

When I began running four years ago, I remember reading about people falling and thinking, "Jeez, I'm so slow that I couldn't possibly fall. If I ever run at a fast enough pace that I do fall, it will be an accomplishment." That day has come!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 06, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
i wanted to take a day off from running today, but i woke up at 6:05 and could get back to sleep, so you guessed it, I was out the door by 6:15.  definitely a day off tomorrow though.

you are a psychopath

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2015, 06:36:28 AM »
psyche!  think i might be getting hooked on the churns.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »

A churn addiction is fine, as long as you're getting bonkers sleep.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
http://qz.com/397984/after-dave-goldbergs-tragic-death-its-worth-a-reminder-treadmills-are-dangerous/

Among other nuggets, did you guys know treadmills were originally designed to reform inmates . . . and get this . . . actually MILL grain?  Hence the name?

"In 1824, prison guard James Hardie credited the device with taming New York’s more defiant inmates. He wrote that it was the treadmill’s “monotonous steadiness, and not its severity, which constitutes its terror."

#TMYN
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:52:16 AM by CopperBowl »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
He looked like the Animal.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 07, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »
Anyone using a GPS watch? Which one?  What features do you like? 

Have always used mapmyrun, but just upgraded to i6 and its to big for pockets and I don't want to carry it. Don't like armband things either.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #638 on: May 07, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
I've used the Garmin 305 and 405. I like the size of the 405 but dislike that can't remember satellite location when hibernating. It must stay on the charger between runs. The 305 is huge but never lost satellites.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »

A churn addiction is fine, as long as you're getting bonkers sleep.
~5 hours or so lately.  gonna bonk out tonight tho.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
"Bonk" means something else in distance running parlance.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »
I'm coming to Manhattan to run the LHC LHC Bill Snyder HM.

Who's with me?

A net downhill P2P run through the Flint Hills and the most beautiful campus on earth, finishing at the Parthenon of sports??

And a Powercat finishers medal that you can proudly wear around your neck??

How can you NOT be part of this?

Unless you don't like to run.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:28:27 AM by CopperBowl »

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 08, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
"Bonk" means something else in distance running parlance.

You mean that thing that a lot people claim to have experienced, but few actually have?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 08, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
yeah i read about that yesterday.  seems weird.

When/how did you guys start increasing your distance?  Right now, i run about 2.5 miles every day and when i finish i am DONE.  Those 2.5 miles are torture.  I can't imagine running another block, let alone another 4 miles.  Obviously rome wasn't built in a day, but can you guys remember how you gradually started increasing your distance?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »

Who's with me?

A net downhill P2P run through the Flint Hills and the most beautiful campus on earth, finishing at the Parthenon of sports??

BCuz I can't get off work and fly up. :frown:  Super wish I could be there tho.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 08, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
yeah i read about that yesterday.  seems weird.

When/how did you guys start increasing your distance?  Right now, i run about 2.5 miles every day and when i finish i am DONE.  Those 2.5 miles are torture.  I can't imagine running another block, let alone another 4 miles.  Obviously rome wasn't built in a day, but can you guys remember how you gradually started increasing your distance?

Random thoughts below:

Not unlike building up your drinking tolerance . . . gradual is the key, or you'll brown/black out.

There's a stupidly arbitrary rule that says something like "no more than 10% increase" each week.  But it's also reasonable.

If you're done at 2.5 miles, slow down.  Slow running (aka "jogging"), where you could have a conversation about the demise of KSU basketball, is key.

I remember my first 5 mile run . . . laps around City Park.  I thought it was the most miserable experience ever.  Now I don't run fewer than 6 miles.  It's really weird how the body can adapt over time.

Frequency helps ... like running >4-5 times per week.

Rest/recover/chocolate milk/beer

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 08, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
If you're running every day that's probably too much. And yeah, slow way down, at least one run per week. Once you start increasing you should shoot to extend your long by a mile per week. Seems hard now but once you get going it will be easy and you will look back on that post and irl lol at yourself.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:57:06 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 08, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
Great stuff guys.
Quick Q: what is a 10% increase from 0 miles per week?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 08, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
I'm with SkiBe on this one.  Every day is overkill.  2-3 shorter runs and 1 long run each week is a good target.  Go to the gym and do some strength work on the off days if you want to stay active every day.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »

Who's with me?

Me and the Mrs. are doing it. Did the Prairie Fire in Wichita last Sunday. Looking forward to it.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.