Poll

Vote in this stupid poll I made

Yes
19 (61.3%)
No
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: March 14, 2017, 12:10:41 AM

Author Topic: Does this team make the NCAA tournament?  (Read 4786 times)

The Big Train

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Does this team make the NCAA tournament?
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
Lets be real though, being in a highly rated P5 and the expanded field makes an invite nearly the same as a 6-6 bowl invite.

Not a good comparison for measure of success.

64% of football teams make a bowl game.
19% of basketball teams make the tournament.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 11:11:03 AM »
Lets be real though, being in a highly rated P5 and the expanded field makes an invite nearly the same as a 6-6 bowl invite.

Even the NIT isn't a good comparison. Maybe one of those other tournaments is like the low level bowls.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »

Rerun those numbers in the parameters I suggested.
65 P5 teams.  39 are projected in right now.  So 60% in. 

So yeah, it's a pretty good comparison at how watered down things are today.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
I don't see why P5 matters. There are also 32 auto bids.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Well, we are a P5 team.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
We're also a Kansas team!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
I don't see why P5 matters. There are also 32 auto bids.
As noted it's what we are.  But broadly, it's because just finishing in the upper half of these conferences gives you a damn good chance of finishing with a bid.  And my issue is with the cat fans who think a tourney birth should be a metric for success for our program.  It's the baseline minimum in my book, akin to keeping your player eligible.  Missing should be seen as a failure, multiple times a fireable offense. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »

Rerun those numbers in the parameters I suggested.
65 P5 teams.  39 are projected in right now.  So 60% in. 

So yeah, it's a pretty good comparison at how watered down things are today.

I get that, but NCAA basketball is absolutely not watered down like football. Non P5 schools are better and capable of regular final 4 appearances and natural titles. 4 extra teams in the tournament isn't a big deal. Even NIT selection is valid now compared to just letting in P5 teams willing to sell home games like it was in the 90s.

We can argue the merits of keeping oscar, etc, but it doesn't have much to do with him being lucky to be on the bubble because of basketball being worse than it was because objectively it absolutely is not.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
Teams don't get selected on the basis of conference. They're compared against the entire field.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
Teams don't get selected on the basis of conference. They're compared against the entire field.

That's obtuse

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
You know that isn't correct or else we wouldn't talk about conference RPI.  Don't remake my comments into saying the top half of the P5 get in by rule because they are in a P5.  There are numerous times where people could make the argument for nonP5 teams to get in over middle of the road P5 teams.  You're telling me that in these "lesser conferences" that the 2nd place tourney team shouldn't get in over us or the 7th team from the Big 10? Nonsense, the conference makes a big deal in selection process. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
The SEC is a great example of how a team can do well in a P5 conference and not be selected. In most cases, team that do well in a P5 conference do so because they are actually good teams. It's not just that they're good relative to their conference.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
The SEC is a great example of how a team can do well in a P5 conference and not be selected. In most cases, team that do well in a P5 conference do so because they are actually good teams. It's not just that they're good relative to their conference.

Who is "doing well" in the SEC but is a threat to get left out? Vermont was undefeated in the America East yet they were one possession from getting left out of the tournament over a team like K-State, Vandy, or Michigan State. If conference affiliation didn't matter Illinois State would be looking at a single digit seed instead of the NIT.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

What team in the SEC is going well that isn't going to get selected?

I think they're projected at 5 teams in? I think the PAC is a better argument maybe since they're only looking at 4 in their massive conference.

But lets not get too lost in singular team scenarios.  Your using an example of a conference that didn't know they had basketball teams outside of Kentucky and Florida.  Look at the Big 12, Big 10, Big East (p5 in basketball kinda?) , and ACC for better point evidence to my point.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »
The SEC is consistently the worst P5 conference and they play an unbalanced schedule.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
I believe the suggested criteria for "doing well" in a P5 conference was finishing in the top half or above .500 or something like that. In any case, if the B12 was as shitty as the SEC, it wouldn't get any teams in either.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
We're in you rough ridin' weirdos.

The bracket matrix has us as the next to last at large, it's very close.

Yes, but there are only realistically two teams still competing for those spots.  Both would have to do something pretty amazing to bump KSU.

Also...and I've said this before...but I have no idea why so many people think Syracuse is safe.

Syracuse has a decent chance to get in because they are Syracuse and the process is subjective. I think they are more likely to get left out, though.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
I believe the suggested criteria for "doing well" in a P5 conference was finishing in the top half or above .500 or something like that. In any case, if the B12 was as shitty as the SEC, it wouldn't get any teams in either.

I can agree with that.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
The SEC is consistently the worst P5 conference and they play an unbalanced schedule.
I don't think anyone is crazy enough to argue that they are good by any means. 

But kinda speaks to the issue. 

Kentucky and UF, obvious.

Ark, USC, Vandy and if Bama shocks Kentucky?  Creates an interesting issue for "lesser" conference teams.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »

are there any autobids that could bump US or teams playing today for trophies that have done enough?

There are five tournaments left in which a bid can potentially be stolen
SEC
AAC
Mountain West
CUSA
A10

Good bye Alabama and Davidson

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

I can agree with that.

As do I. I am struggling to figure out what this has to do chum previously intimating that being in a P5 conference has no advantage attached when it comes to the selection process.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »

You realize you're the one who made that argument right?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »

are there any autobids that could bump US or teams playing today for trophies that have done enough?

There are five tournaments left in which a bid can potentially be stolen
SEC
AAC
Mountain West
CUSA
A10

Good bye Alabama and Davidson

I struck the A10 but I guess Rhode Island could be considered a bid steal since they are behind us on the matrix.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla