Author Topic: 4 Team College Football Playoff  (Read 29096 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Team College Football Playoff
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
Contracts change all the time. I know it means I'm racist but I'm agreeing with MIR on this one.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
Eight is better because that format would include all of the power conferences, and you could even give the midmajors a path to a championship, if say their conference champion finishes ranked higher than a power 5 conference champ. It's much more inclusive, and would make everyone happy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
8 is a great number. The butthurt would not be the same as it is with 4. Every year there are about 5-6 teams that can make a claim that they are the best team. The 9th best team in the nation will probably be butthurt about being left out, but they can't really think they are the best team like the #5 and #6 teams can.

I think this is accurate. You'll still have complaining, just not legitimate complaining. Also, to any Power 5 rep the retort is easy: just win your conference and you wouldn't have had to leave it up to the pollsters.

Honestly did anyone expect this to stay a 4 team playoff? I always thought this was like a transitional thing to work out logistics and wean people off of the BCS en route to having a legitimate playoff.
It won't happen before the contract is up.  This has been discussed by the talking heads on ESPN.

You keep talking about the contract as if it can't be renegotiated. If the power 5 wants to go to 8 ESPN will happily redo the contract because they want the inventory. Monday Night Football is the only product they have that out rates college football. Renegotiating the contract would also give ESPN more controlling years of the CFP.
They basically said it would open up the contract to other networks and would cost much more.  They got a sweet deal and they don't give a eff about who gets in is fair or not.

Without seeing the contract, and I can assure you that whatever ESPN talking head you are referencing hasn't seen it either, the only way it would be up for rebid for renegotiating is if there's a provision in the contract stating it so. In sports media rights deals that would be highly unusual.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
1. Any contract can be renegotiated--even if the contract says it can't be.  That's like having a law that says it cannot be repealed.  That provision can't stop you from making a new contract that says the old one goes away.

2. ESPN may have gotten a sweet deal for 4 teams, but I don't think an 8-team playoff was ever on the table.  If NCAA / power 5 conferences are on board with it, it will happen.  Why in the world would ESPN say no to having 7 big-time games to broadcast instead of 3?  Even if you make only half the profit, you're making way more money.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
i hope the big 12/bowlsby flies a banner around both games "we would beat you guys if we were playing in this game"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »
Officiating crews

Rose Bowl: SEC
Sugar Bowl: P12
Champy Bowl: BigXII
@Trogdor_gE

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
8 is a great number. The butthurt would not be the same as it is with 4. Every year there are about 5-6 teams that can make a claim that they are the best team. The 9th best team in the nation will probably be butthurt about being left out, but they can't really think they are the best team like the #5 and #6 teams can.

I think this is accurate. You'll still have complaining, just not legitimate complaining. Also, to any Power 5 rep the retort is easy: just win your conference and you wouldn't have had to leave it up to the pollsters.

Honestly did anyone expect this to stay a 4 team playoff? I always thought this was like a transitional thing to work out logistics and wean people off of the BCS en route to having a legitimate playoff.

They should go to 6 teams nest year with the top 2 getting a first round bye. Could take all of the P5 conference champs plus 1 at large.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
Officiating crews

Rose Bowl: SEC
Sugar Bowl: P12
Champy Bowl: BigXII

You really don't want your conference officials working that game. You'd rather have a team there.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »

2. ESPN may have gotten a sweet deal for 4 teams, but I don't think an 8-team playoff was ever on the table.  If NCAA / power 5 conferences are on board with it, it will happen.  Why in the world would ESPN say no to having 7 big-time games to broadcast instead of 3?  Even if you make only half the profit, you're making way more money.

If it diminishes the regular season (that is, fewer people watch between September and December) more than the increase in viewership related to having more playoff games, it would be a bad financial decision.   For instance, what if there were 64 teams that made the college football playoff?  Would that really be in ESPN's interest?  There is a line that they don't want to cross; once you cross that line, you can't really go back, either.  Arguably, college basketball has already crossed this line.  You have a bunch of people watch for 3-4 days in March, but you don't get near as many people watching college basketball from November through February.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Personally, I think ESPN loves the butthurt and controversy of having 5 power conferences and 4 playoff spots.  It gives us all something stupid to talk about and debate.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

If it diminishes the regular season (that is, fewer people watch between September and December) more than the increase in viewership related to having more playoff games, it would be a bad financial decision.   For instance, what if there were 64 teams that made the college football playoff?  Would that really be in ESPN's interest?  There is a line that they don't want to cross; once you cross that line, you can't really go back, either.  Arguably, college basketball has already crossed this line.  You have a bunch of people watch for 3-4 days in March, but you don't get near as many people watching college basketball from November through February.
An eight team playoff would not cross this line that you speak of, and it most certainly wouldn't hurt regular season viewership. In fact, it would probably bolster regular season viewership for the mid-major confys and thier teams since they will have a better chance of getting to the National Championship game.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

An eight team playoff would not cross this line that you speak of, and it most certainly wouldn't hurt regular season viewership. In fact, it would probably bolster regular season viewership for the mid-major confys and thier teams since they will have a better chance of getting to the National Championship game.

Yea, I don't dispute that there probably IS a line to be crossed, but 8 teams isn't it.  I agree it could bolster viewership for the group of 5 conferences, but I think the same could be said for the power 5 conferences.  What if Florida State had lost one of those regular season games to a sub-par team?  The ACC championship would have been meaningless from a playoff perspective.

A 4-team playoff can practically make the last quarter of a season meaningless for most teams.  If anything, it's probably not the viewership of games that would be impacted so much as the viewership of the countless shows analyzing the rankings.  Still, if they could make a big fuss about which TWO teams would get in, they should still have a good time talking about which three non conference-championship teams get in as at-large teams.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
Also, I think the player safety argument is ridiculous.  Aside from the fact that high school and all other college divisions do it, if you make the conference championship the main determination of who gets a playoff berth then teams won't need to schedule the 3-4 pud non-conference games.  Change it to one or two interesting games and you've just built in the ability to extend the season.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
Also, I think the player safety argument is ridiculous.  Aside from the fact that high school and all other college divisions do it, if you make the conference championship the main determination of who gets a playoff berth then teams won't need to schedule the 3-4 pud non-conference games.  Change it to one or two interesting games and you've just built in the ability to extend the season.

In going from a 4 to an 8 team playoff, you are extending the season by just 1 game for 4 of the 128 Division 1 (or whatever we are calling it now) teams.  If less than 3% of players are playing an extra game, is it really a significant player safety issue?
:adios:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »
player safety is such a ridiculous argument, as is academics
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
The Big 12's one voice on the CFP committee, Oliver Luck, is leaving WV for a job with the NCAA. Hopefully his replacement on the committee will be a bit more invested in the success of the conference.  :dubious:

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
If you really want the playoff to expand to eight before their contract expires, just one thing really needs to happen. The SEC getting shut out in consecutive years.

Won't probably happen though. (in regard to the SEC getting shut out or the contract being altered either way)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »

In going from a 4 to an 8 team playoff, you are extending the season by just 1 game for 4 of the 128 Division 1 (or whatever we are calling it now) teams.  If less than 3% of players are playing an extra game, is it really a significant player safety issue?

They certainly aren't going to shorten the season for 128 teams because 4 need to play an extra game.

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 19, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »

It won't happen before the contract is up.  This has been discussed by the talking heads on ESPN.

Why College Football Playoff Expansion Won't Be Happening Anytime Soon

By Barrett Sallee , SEC Football Lead Writer
 Dec 18, 2014

USA Today

ATLANTA — Proponents of College Football Playoff expansion are like kids on Christmas this holiday season.

They've ripped the wrapping paper off the gift, but before they open the packaging and play with the toy, they've moved on to unwrap the next present.

Here we are in mid-December, with the inaugural national semifinals and College Football Playoff National Championship Game looming, and calls for expanding the four-team playoff have already started.

ESPN.com polled 103 FBS coaches, and 44 percent of them were in favor of the postseason expanding to eight teams. That's not surprising, as bonus money would probably be owed to most or all of those in favor if they earned a playoff spot.

President Barack Obama even chimed in on the side of eight teams on The Herd with Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio earlier this month (via AL.com). "[Expanding to four] was the right thing to do," he said, "and I suspect it'll end up being eight teams, and that'll be just about right."

If you're hoping for the playoff to be expanded anytime soon, you're going to be disappointed this holiday season.

It's not happening. Not for this generation of college football players, anyway.

"It's a four-team tournament for 12 years," College Football Playoff Executive Director Bill Hancock told B/R. "There hasn't been any discussion in our group about expanding."
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
CASE CLOSED!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
4 is perfect anyway

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
4 is perfect anyway
We better get used to it.  Personally, I think it's great fun to have one of the conferences left out.