Author Topic: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 51701 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »
there have been times in the last few months where i've wondered if ksu football would be better off ten years from now if we would've just kept vanier 1.0 and used the 70 million to offer a harbaugh type a ten year/70 million dollar contract.
Great idea.  Except after a few years of 6-6 or less; he'll jump up and down demanding that we build him some rough ridin' facilities so he can recruit to this hole in the ground. 

P.S.  I'm not calling you a dip crap, since the Big Dipper has that title, but even MIR has more intelligence than this.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
I just listened to a writer from the Miami Herald who said that the Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross, is also Michigan football's biggest donor. He suspects that Ross leaked that Harbaugh contract offer to attempt to scare the Raiders off and to show what the Dolphins are willing to pay.

Offline Big_Dipper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
there have been times in the last few months where i've wondered if ksu football would be better off ten years from now if we would've just kept vanier 1.0 and used the 70 million to offer a harbaugh type a ten year/70 million dollar contract.
Great idea.  Except after a few years of 6-6 or less; he'll jump up and down demanding that we build him some rough ridin' facilities so he can recruit to this hole in the ground. 

P.S.  I'm not calling you a dip crap, since the Big Dipper has that title, but even MIR has more intelligence than this.

Link?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
I just listened to a writer from the Miami Herald who said that the Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross, is also Michigan football's biggest donor. He suspects that Ross leaked that Harbaugh contract offer to attempt to scare the Raiders off and to show what the Dolphins are willing to pay.

Did you mean to say that "Michigan" is willing to pay, or did you mean that the Dolphin's owner is using his alma mater as a means to acquire Harbaugh for himself in Miami?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »

Did you mean to say that "Michigan" is willing to pay, or did you mean that the Dolphin's owner is using his alma mater as a means to acquire Harbaugh for himself in Miami?

Very stud move, if true.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
so say it came to it and alabama got in a bidding war for saban. where would they draw the line? I bet it would be huge. like, I don't know a lot about coach salaries but I bet it would be enormous to people who did follow that stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »
and lol at the idea that michigan would be the place that would pay the most. lol at everyone who thought that was a thing.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
there would be no line, pawwwlllllll

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
However high it got--say, $12M--you know the runner-up would be all like," LOL @Bama, we just dropped that coach on you.  We weren't even interested in him!"

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »

Made it seem as if Michigan would pay that but so would Miami, maybe even more. More to the point it was telling the Raiders what the minimum is to get in the game. Either way it's Ross' money and it seems like Harbaugh is going to get himself fired into $8 million a year, MINIMUM.

Offline Michiganisstillgood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 23, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »
I think the ranking of coaching destinations is heavily dependent on where the coach is from and has recruiting ties to. Somebody from Big 10 country probably would rank Ohio State and Michigan 1 and 2. If you aren't from the area, the Michigan job sucks. Even Rich Rod couldn't win there.

I've been thinking about this, and I kind of disagree (although I used to agree). I think the ability to recruit travels with you. Yes, it's nice to have certain ties to an area, but if you're coaching at OSU or Michigan and know how to handle HS coaches and kids, you'll have instant credibility anywhere you go in the region. I think of the success Urban had in Florida and what a guy like Jim Mora's done at UCLA and think you just need to know what you're doing means more than where you're doing it. The jobs that are top jobs are top jobs largely because they have easy access to gobs recruits, (and is really the biggest factor keeping UNL down).

I could be wrong, though. :dunno:

I think you are probably right about the truly elite coaches like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. There aren't more than 5-6 of those coaches in existence, though. I think fit is very important for most coaches out there. I'm certainly no expert, though.

What about Jim Mora at UCLA? Jim Harbaugh at Stanford? Rich Rod at Arizona? (I know you mentioned him as a failure going to Michigan, but WVU and UM should really overlap quite a bit when it comes to recruiting territory - IMO he had other issues). (It's also hard to think of coaches who go to a new region at all, much less successfully).

don't know, it's interesting to think about.

What do you think RichRod's issues were?

Didn't tailor his offense to suit the players already there, hired Greg Robinson to be his DC, was an bad person. He had some great recruiting classes, though.

Meh, not really, kind of , and LMAO no he didn't.

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »

Ross is working to get Harbaugh back to Michigan, he'll keep Philbin for another season, most likely.

Either way, Miami won't be a player for Jim.

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 23, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »

Ross is working to get Harbaugh back to Michigan, he'll keep Philbin for another season, most likely.

The Big Train

« Reply #388 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:14 AM »
déjà vu

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:52 AM »
déjà vu

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2014, 04:08:18 AM »
hard to believe that the harbaugh to ku rumors were just that- rumors

I mean his wife is from freaking olathe
smh idk but I have to believe he was in play there before they landed high value target beaty

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:01 AM »

smh idk but I have to believe he was in play there before they landed high value target beaty

I don't want to make it seem like I think he's coming back to Michigan, because in the end, he won't.

Harb's will leave us at the alter again, this time for Oakland, and then we'll scramble to find some Schianoish retread.

Michigan has gone all out for Harbaugh since October, there is no plan B.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 23, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
hard to imagine that the wolverines couldn't lure back one of their stars

the good news is that I saw him at the Falloon one night

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 23, 2014, 07:39:21 AM »

Way too much smoke for there not to have been some real fire. 

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 23, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

Way too much smoke for there not to have been some real fire. 

i saw it on espn.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Official 2014 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
How could Harbaugh do this to his Olathe wife's hometown?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »

LOL, this was posted two days after Ross made the official announcement that Philbin was staying.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
How could Harbaugh do this to his Olathe wife's hometown?

Is there a single child who sleeps peacefully in Olathe tonight?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #399 on: December 28, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »
Utah thing is getting strange.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1992784-155/monson-whittingham-will-leave-utah-i?fullpage=1

So, the writer isn't going to report it (his words), but he puts this in the SLC Tribune?