Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1013619 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Recent flick viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #9300 on: August 15, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
Taco Shop

I have no idea why HBO is promoting this movie or how it gets a 92% approval rating from google users. It’s a “Waiting” type wannabe movie that is just flat out awful. It has some cringe worthy racey jokes and definitely was the biggest waste of an hour and a half I have had in quite some time.

/ 7
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: August 15, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »
cilantro
 :flush:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »
Infinity wars is p entertaining
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
Avengers: Infinity War --  Very not bad.  Probably top 1/3 of Marvel movies.  2 things:  1) Thor has gone from my least favorite Avenger to most favorite.  Wow, what a stud.  2) I don't really understand Thanos' motivation for killing half the universe.  Just population control?  If the infinity stones give you basically unlimited power couldn't he just create like a billion more planets so there would be enough room?  Thanos was a great villain though, probably the best yet.

the Thor movie where he fights Hulk was one of the best I've seen. I didn't expect that!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: August 16, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »
Mission Impossible Fallout: Great action flick, mediocre movie.  Face gag is getting old. 

Really getting close to Fast and Furious meets James Bond but somehow not as entertaining as either

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: August 18, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
The Most Unknown.  -  Netflix

The movie is a doc and follows 9 different scientists. The first one is a microbiologist who goes and interviews a physicist in their lab. The physicist shows them all about what they do and the microbiologist gets to see the ways other scientists do their work. The physicist then goes to see a Cognitive Psychologist and the process continues in that order.

It’s a very interesting concept for a movie to show parallels between different disciplines of science. Gets each scientist exposed to a new branch that they don’t normally see. Each of the topics the scientists do are all things I am interested and fascinated with. So obviously I’m going to rate this movie very favorably. The objective side is it’s cool that it explorers the truly most unknown subjects and areas in science today. Very fun watch if you like to be challenged in your understanding of the physical and cognitive world around you.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
You left out the only metric I care about. Number of explosions and/or car chases?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
Zero.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
the package (netflix) - thought it was pretty funny, lots of dick

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: August 24, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
As I slowly wind my way through the Marvel movies, I’m on a bad run....

Captain America Civil War: Defintiely toward the bottom of the list. Almost completely humorless, and the “plot” is asinine. It seems like the entire purpose of this movie was setting up “the big fight scene.” And that’s all this movie is really good for. At least Paul Rudd gets a few laughs, and Black Panther actually kinda steals the show, which is ironic because....

Black Panther: Also toward the bottom of my list. Talk about a movie that takes itself waaaay too damned seriously. It is devoid of almost any humor (Claw and the gorilla tribe leader get a few good laughs) and the first half is downright boring until the main bad guy shows up (who to be fair is kind of a badass and did have a pretty compelling backstory). And JFC spare me the blaxploitation crap. Black Panther himself is a good actor and a good character but this movie was not great.

Incredible Hulk: Complete crap. Second only to Iron Man 3 on the garbage meter.

I think I’ve just about seen them all now, except for Dr. Strange and Spider Man.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: August 27, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Deadpool 2 was better than the first one. Loved it.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: August 27, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
So yeah I'm a few years behind on the Whiplash train, but I finally watched it last night.  Very good.  Man, that ending.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: August 27, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »
So yeah I'm a few years behind on the Whiplash train, but I finally watched it last night.  Very good.  Man, that ending.

:shakesfist:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: August 27, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »

:shakesfist:

Ah, I see.  To each their own.  Looks like other known studs on here praised the ending too. 

Watched Whiplash last night for the first time.  He said some horrible things to that kid, but some of it was kind of funny in a way.  My favorite line was the one about the single tear and the double rainbow.  I liked it, especially the end.  Also, is it common to bleed that much while drumming?

The kid deserved all the yelling, what a dick

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: August 27, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
Lol I meant to do  :thumbs:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9315 on: August 27, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
Avengers: Infinity War --  Very not bad.  Probably top 1/3 of Marvel movies.  2 things:  1) Thor has gone from my least favorite Avenger to most favorite.  Wow, what a stud.  2) I don't really understand Thanos' motivation for killing half the universe.  Just population control?  If the infinity stones give you basically unlimited power couldn't he just create like a billion more planets so there would be enough room?  Thanos was a great villain though, probably the best yet.

Yeah I don’t even know if there is a good explanation for this, but I think the writers want you to believe (1) Thanos sees himself as a hero, and (2) he’s really just a psychotic jerk. So it’s entirely possible he simply doesn’t view doubling the resources as a preferable option.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: August 27, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Whatever Works (2009) - 1.5/7
this is really really gross and also boring and i stopped after about 30 mins. amazing how much has changed in less than 10 years. no effing way woody could make this movie now.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: August 27, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
the new anna kendrick movie looks GREAT

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: August 27, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
I told mrs. Wacky that Anna moved into my top 5 list. I love her.  :love:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: August 27, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
As I slowly wind my way through the Marvel movies, I’m on a bad run....

Captain America Civil War: Defintiely toward the bottom of the list. Almost completely humorless, and the “plot” is asinine. It seems like the entire purpose of this movie was setting up “the big fight scene.” And that’s all this movie is really good for. At least Paul Rudd gets a few laughs, and Black Panther actually kinda steals the show, which is ironic because....

Black Panther: Also toward the bottom of my list. Talk about a movie that takes itself waaaay too damned seriously. It is devoid of almost any humor (Claw and the gorilla tribe leader get a few good laughs) and the first half is downright boring until the main bad guy shows up (who to be fair is kind of a badass and did have a pretty compelling backstory). And JFC spare me the blaxploitation crap. Black Panther himself is a good actor and a good character but this movie was not great.

Incredible Hulk: Complete crap. Second only to Iron Man 3 on the garbage meter.

I think I’ve just about seen them all now, except for Dr. Strange and Spider Man.

What does this mean?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Sorry, that was shorthand and perhaps not entirely appropriate terminology. Basically I mean that Black Panther at times seemed like it was being directed by Spike Lee. The racial messaging was extremely in your face. Whole lotta “man, white people are ignorant and arrogant,” “black people are victims and we have to help them” stuff peppered throughout the entire film. Probably culminating in the worst line of the movie (paraphrasing) “bury me at sea like my ancestors who jumped off the ships to avoid slavery.” Then the delightful cut scene at the UN where Pompous Old White Boy scoffs “Wakanda is a third world country - what can you possibly teach us?” Said nobody at the UN, ever.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
Finally got through Doctor Strange. I have up on it about halfway through my first effort because it was too damned.... strange. Casting spells isn’t really my thing. But I have to admit, it’s actually one of the better executed Marvel movies even if Strange is far from my favorite character. It was funny, entertaining, fast paced, good effects. All in all a pretty good movie.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
The last battle is cool as crap

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: August 27, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
Sorry, that was shorthand and perhaps not entirely appropriate terminology. Basically I mean that Black Panther at times seemed like it was being directed by Spike Lee. The racial messaging was extremely in your face. Whole lotta “man, white people are ignorant and arrogant,” “black people are victims and we have to help them” stuff peppered throughout the entire film. Probably culminating in the worst line of the movie (paraphrasing) “bury me at sea like my ancestors who jumped off the ships to avoid slavery.” Then the delightful cut scene at the UN where Pompous Old White Boy scoffs “Wakanda is a third world country - what can you possibly teach us?” Said nobody at the UN, ever.

I had quite a few critiques of the movie myself. I think it is hard to imagine that people in Wakanda would not look down on white people, that makes the most sense.

I think the "black people are victims and we have to help them" was pretty much first introduced by Killmonger and to me cuts to one of the core reasons why the film is so strange. It would be a much more interesting movie if Killmonger had won and then tried to fight the world in a Maoist 3rd world revolution and then been stopped further along.  Then what? 

The idea that the King would stop that and then only work within the UN and Western power structures to help the rest of Africa/First World blacks is pretty weird.

The weirdest part for me is trying to understand why this super advanced, very rich society is still a monarchy with the most primitive politics imaginable. If it is like that, we don't have nearly enough about the other people of Wakanda. Are they happy with this arrangement? Are dissidents locked up? I don't get that at all.

Also, Killmonger was right.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »

I had quite a few critiques of the movie myself. I think it is hard to imagine that people in Wakanda would not look down on white people, that makes the most sense.

I think the "black people are victims and we have to help them" was pretty much first introduced by Killmonger and to me cuts to one of the core reasons why the film is so strange. It would be a much more interesting movie if Killmonger had won and then tried to fight the world in a Maoist 3rd world revolution and then been stopped further along.  Then what? 

The idea that the King would stop that and then only work within the UN and Western power structures to help the rest of Africa/First World blacks is pretty weird.

The weirdest part for me is trying to understand why this super advanced, very rich society is still a monarchy with the most primitive politics imaginable. If it is like that, we don't have nearly enough about the other people of Wakanda. Are they happy with this arrangement? Are dissidents locked up? I don't get that at all.

Also, Killmonger was right.

Yeah, the monarchy thing was really dumb.  Like, all it took to show how mumped they could be was an unfavorable result in a one on one medieval weapons brawl.  LOL, great system of government dumbasses!

Also, our President called less developed countries crap holes, so yeah I guess government leaders DO say stuff like that.