Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135855 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #650 on: May 21, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
from what i've read, some of it may be, but a lot of it is just evolutionary biology with humans as the subject species.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 21, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
and also, gtfo with non-adaptive explanations and political and ethical issues with results.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:18 PM »
I also read his blog post and don't think context makes him seem more worthy of me taking him seriously.
That's fine.  :cheers:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:17 PM »
@Dlew12

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/05/this-is-one-of-the-dumbest-law-school-exams-ever-but-at-least-its-also-racist/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
A. LOL at that question.  Good grief, man.

B. LOL at this
A white student, labeled a “social justice warrior” — which is supposedly derogatory even though those three words in that order are definitionally a good thing — raised a complaint with the exam, noting that he was “shocked and disgusted” by the question. Fair enough. A minority student responded echoing the problems with the exam as structured, but also noted for the white students that “because it is not your experience, it is not your place to take charge of the dialogue without consulting the individuals who are actually impacted.”

This is an important distinction. Yes, as discussed above, this isn’t really white struggle here. On the other hand, coming off a week where Shaun King accurately called out the inaction of white bystanders in the Schlossberg video who refused to exercise their relative privilege to do something about the tirade, this Texas student deserves credit for saying something. This is just one of those reminders that white people can and should be ready to say “that’s racist” but they can’t frame it as though they own that outrage. White people have to be comfortable with their role as the permanent sidekick of racial justice. Embrace being Robin on this one. Sometimes Batman needs help… usually Batman can handle it on his own.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »
Also, the Professor is African American. Also, see Derrick Bell's hypothetical dissent to Brown.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »
I do not think it was a ridiculous question, fyi.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
Having your only essay on the conlaw exam be "defend brown v board" is bogus imo.  my favorite part is the woke kid who got outwoked though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
Isn't part of being a lawyer defending people who are probably guilty and making arguments that probably aren't true?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 22, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
this is an idea that had never occurred to me in any form but which made intuitive sense after reading 15 seconds of it.

https://www.jefftk.com/p/parallel-status-hierarchies

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »
Isn't part of being a lawyer defending people who are probably guilty and making arguments that probably aren't true?

I think the more important point here is that the question is not even a little bit racist.  You do not have to take any stance on race or even ethics in order to argue what powers a government can and cannot constitutionally exercise.

I would be much more troubled by a question along the lines of what you suggest: "You know OJ did it. Come up with a legal defense to get him acquitted."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 25, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
i cannot wait to watch/listen to that.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
i would listen to approx 1 hour every day of bon iver style alex jones covers

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:50 PM »
politics and commerce are different.  in politics, any support over 50% is superfluous - there is no penalty to alienating 40% of the population.  in commerce, any potential customer you alienate is a cost.

I don't think that's true.  Determing which audience you can  alienate is an essential factor in successful marketing.  This is something the antiPC crowd constantly talks about.

btw, i think abc today is a nice example of how different equations govern politics and commerce.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #669 on: May 30, 2018, 07:11:06 AM »
politics and commerce are different.  in politics, any support over 50% is superfluous - there is no penalty to alienating 40% of the population.  in commerce, any potential customer you alienate is a cost.

I don't think that's true.  Determing which audience you can  alienate is an essential factor in successful marketing.  This is something the antiPC crowd constantly talks about.

btw, i think abc today is a nice example of how different equations govern politics and commerce.
If ABC didn't drop the show (which was not a wise decision moneywise IMO) I was about to post something about someone finally trying the strategy I was talking about. 

It will happen soon enough thought I think. There is to much money to be made from the millions of wacky's of the world by making them think they are owning the libs or whatever.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 30, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
I think you both have a point. I don’t think any large or publicly-traded company could survive alienating even a solid 20-30% of their potential customer base, but I absolutely believe more niche companies can and will try to drum up some controversy to snag irrationally loyal folks like the Trump base.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 30, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Isn't there some nugent/baio network to pick it up?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
(which was not a wise decision moneywise IMO).

i think it's more likely that your assumptions regarding how they can maximize revenues aren't correct.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 30, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
if your assumptions are correct, it would only work for a much smaller, much more focused company.  you can't risk any % of consumers boycotting you on 50 billion in revenue to maximize profit on one 0.1 billion venture.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #674 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »
(which was not a wise decision moneywise IMO).

i think it's more likely that your assumptions regarding how they can maximize revenues aren't correct.
Possibly.  I wish they would have kept the show so we could see.

On a related note, I was recalling this ad campaign by Bud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJKhkwTG64

they clearly calculated that "alienating" the craft beer / beer snob community in favor of their "in group" salt-of-the-earth beer drinker customers was a good idea. Bud doesn't care about losing out on "beer hipsters", in fact they feel its better to explicitly exclude them to make their target audience feel more comfortable.  I think this same concept is certainly feasible with even more strident examples of self-defensive "othering".   This also works effectively with religious merchandise as well.