Author Topic: Lawrence is Hurting  (Read 36009 times)

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Lawrence is Hurting
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
T's and P's little bro

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/apr/29/latest-federal-numbers-show-low-incomes-high-price/

The latest figures from the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis show Lawrence residents are feeling the pinch in two areas. The city's cost of living, although lower than the national average, is higher than in any other metro area in Kansas. To make Lawrence's predicament worse, residents also earn far less than those in other Kansas communities.

How big is the difference, you ask? Well, take Manhattan for example. The college community just west of us on Interstate 70 has a cost of living that is about 3.6 percent cheaper than Lawrence's. The per capita, inflation-adjusted income for a Manhattan resident, though, is about $7,700 more than what Lawrence residents earn.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence is Hurting
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »
The costs in Lawrence clearly get inflated due to it being a commuter school.  The locals are non-college student/graduate poors.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
I guess the market for those eastern european basket weaving degrees didn't pan out like they had expected.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
lawrence is full of scum and trash.  i'm not surprised to hear this news today.  a lot of the gang activity is moving quickly from topeka and into lawrence.  these gangs are very dangerous and have affiliations with gangs in omaha and st louis.  if any of you are in lawrence visiting for a game and get recruited by a gang, i warn you now to not even consider membership. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
no jobs in that little turnpike town  :sdeek:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
lawrence is full of scum and trash.  i'm not surprised to hear this news today.  a lot of the gang activity is moving quickly from topeka and into lawrence.  these gangs are very dangerous and have affiliations with gangs in omaha and st louis.  if any of you are in lawrence visiting for a game and get recruited by a gang, i warn you now to not even consider membership.
bigDcat got mugged before the football game there in 2008. violent crime at 9am. sounds like big city stuff to me.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
I went to eat in Lawrence one time and ordered a cheeseburger without even looking at the menu. Imagine my surprise when I got the ticket and it was $10. For a cheeseburger. GMAFB how do people live in that dump?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »
bigDcat got mugged before the football game there in 2008. violent crime at 9am. sounds like big city stuff to me.

if that happened in 2008 (almost 6 years ago) imagine the crime that exists there today.  the crime rate in lawrence has grown dramatically since the influx of the topeka gangs (with connections to omaha and st louis).  soon these gangs will be completely ingrained in the college subculture in lawrence.  next thing you know the gang members will be teaching classes at the university and spawning children that will attend the public schools.  at that point there is no saving lawrence, but if you ask me it's already too late for that town.  it's just too late.  sorry about your buddy, hopefully the cops found the gang banger and locked him up.  my guess is the guy got away and is somewhere living in the caribbean on your bud's dime.

good luck to everyone.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Should we like send them soup cans and stuff?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
Should we like send them soup cans and stuff?

why? so the gangs can intercept the shipments and sell all of the soup on the black market?  the help won't make it to where it needs to most, scary to think about.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Well we need to do something. My conscience won't let me forget that article any time soon.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »
maybe a pre-fattyfest balloon launch from city park in support of lawrence?  we could also do doves/pigeons but i'm afraid that some may fly to lawrence and get shot and eaten by the gangs.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
What if you had a daughter in lawrence, think about that. What would you do then?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »
hard to make money when you freebase marijuana 24/7

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
I saw a group of kids just "lighting up" their pots right there in public one time. My question was where are the parents and the police?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Did FSD hack into all of your accounts this morning?  Good God.

:sdeek:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
If there's one town that needs Jesus, it's Lawrence, Kansas.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »

Is that an :opcat: racist  pro-more gangs reference?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »

Is that an :opcat: racist  pro-more gangs reference?

No not at all.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »
I stepped onto the bus in Lawrence one time. There was a homeless guy in the front seat, with his hand already reaching out to me. I looked at the driver, defeated expression on his face, gave him $1 for having to put up with living in that hellhole, and got off the bus. Walking is better exercise, anyway.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Cost of living is higher than the rest of the shitty towns in Kansas because the quality of life is better.  Median income is lower than Manhattan because Lawrence is nearly twice the size and has a higher low income population.  It's more of a city as opposed to some shitty little podunk college town with a mall and zero character.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
This should probably be added to the Science Proves thread for documentation purposes.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
if you think things are bad in lawrence right now, just wait until they get their 3rd wal-mart, gang members from all over the midwest will be flocking to that town for high paying american jobs

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
Cost of living is higher than the rest of the shitty towns in Kansas because the quality of life is better.  Median income is lower than Manhattan because Lawrence is nearly twice the size and has a higher low income population.  It's more of a city as opposed to some shitty little podunk college town with a mall and zero character.

People just want to help.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
Jesus, it is, then.   

I have known many a drug addict that goes through a cyclical BFF/Jesus who?  type thing.