Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 52033 times)

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #450 on: June 27, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
Interesting.

Guess this makes sense since Tyrion never got to boink Sansa.   :facepalm:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »
Interesting.

Guess this makes sense since Tyrion never got to boink Sansa.   :facepalm:

He banged a ton of whores though. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
Which Game of Thrones character is your Big 12 Team?

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/6/26/4457378/which-game-of-thrones-character-is-your-big-12-team

Kansas State: Tyrion Lannister
About once a year, generally after an expected-but-devastating loss to KSU, I have an interaction with a Kansas State fan that goes something like:
KSUfan: Tough loss this year, you guys played a heck of a game.
Me (dejectedly): yeah.
KSUfan: Mack Brown is a heck of a coach you'll be back on top in no time.
Me (dejectedly): ok.
KSUfan: Oh yeah. And Case McCoy looked great too. That kid's going to be special one day.
Me: *blank stare*

It's at this point in the conversation where I cannot tell if I'm being made fun of or not. It is unpleasant. This surreal kind of feeling is exactly what players of other Big 12 teams -- teams who often boast faster, stronger, and more heralded players on their roster -- must feel after yet another loss to KSU. It's the same kind of surreal that Tyrion Lannister adds to the lives of the characters in Game of Thrones who consistently choose to underestimate the imp. His physical shortcomings are made up for with guile and wit, and he even exerts control on crazed tyrant DeLoss Dodds Joffrey Baratheon. And then there's the whole Little Apple thing. Comparing Kansas State to Tyrion Lannister is to pay Kansas State a large compliment. Tyrion is eminently likeable and sympathetic, like most of KSU's fans. It make them all the harder to hate. -- Sumedh

:D

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 27, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
love that

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Which Game of Thrones character is your Big 12 Team?

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/6/26/4457378/which-game-of-thrones-character-is-your-big-12-team

Kansas State: Tyrion Lannister
About once a year, generally after an expected-but-devastating loss to KSU, I have an interaction with a Kansas State fan that goes something like:
KSUfan: Tough loss this year, you guys played a heck of a game.
Me (dejectedly): yeah.
KSUfan: Mack Brown is a heck of a coach you'll be back on top in no time.
Me (dejectedly): ok.
KSUfan: Oh yeah. And Case McCoy looked great too. That kid's going to be special one day.
Me: *blank stare*

It's at this point in the conversation where I cannot tell if I'm being made fun of or not. It is unpleasant. This surreal kind of feeling is exactly what players of other Big 12 teams -- teams who often boast faster, stronger, and more heralded players on their roster -- must feel after yet another loss to KSU. It's the same kind of surreal that Tyrion Lannister adds to the lives of the characters in Game of Thrones who consistently choose to underestimate the imp. His physical shortcomings are made up for with guile and wit, and he even exerts control on crazed tyrant DeLoss Dodds Joffrey Baratheon. And then there's the whole Little Apple thing. Comparing Kansas State to Tyrion Lannister is to pay Kansas State a large compliment. Tyrion is eminently likeable and sympathetic, like most of KSU's fans. It make them all the harder to hate. -- Sumedh

Currie is Tywin.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

i mean yeah it's pretty derpy but i laughed quite a bit

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I enjoyed that a great deal. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2014, 05:32:00 AM »
just finished the three novellas that currently make up "the tales of dunk and egg". has anybody else read them yet? if you haven't, i highly recommend them. they're quick, enjoyable reads that cover a lot of the events surrounding the blackfyre rebellion (pre-ASOIAF).

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
just finished the three novellas that currently make up "the tales of dunk and egg". has anybody else read them yet? if you haven't, i highly recommend them. they're quick, enjoyable reads that cover a lot of the events surrounding the blackfyre rebellion (pre-ASOIAF).

Where did you get those from? I wouldn't mind giving them a read while I'm waiting somewhat patiently for book 6 to get done.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

I read 2 of them, didn't realize there was a third. I found them each in a different compilation of short stories by various authors.

What's the third one called?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
yes, would def read. also i would like to read a 200-300 page cliff notes version of all 5 asoiaf books to refresh my memory before twow

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
yes, would def read. also i would like to read a 200-300 page cliff notes version of all 5 asoiaf books to refresh my memory before twow

Try the audio books.  Would go pretty quick.  Also, I really like audio books after reading detailed stuff.  They would probably be really good for GoT.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Try the audio books.  Would go pretty quick.  Also, I really like audio books after reading detailed stuff.  They would probably be really good for GoT.

have trim convert them to a GPC podcast so you can play at 1.5-2x too

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
Does Kindle have a thing where you can read when you want, but then switch over to audio book where you left off, and then switch back? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
that's a pretty great idea

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »

Where did you get those from? I wouldn't mind giving them a read while I'm waiting somewhat patiently for book 6 to get done.

If you want to buy them legitimately, they exists as short stories inside of 3 different anthology collections, so its hard to get just the stories by themselves.  I got mine off the internet (Aarrgh!)  and did enjoy them quote a bit.

They are a lot lighter read, all from the same POV, not ver long, but they are good stories.... they give you a better idea of what "normal" is, when you think about all the SoIaF books being set in a state of constant war.   You also get some first hand descriptions of Bryndan Rivers (and more importantly, what his contemporaries thought of him), before he was a tree.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Does Kindle have a thing where you can read when you want, but then switch over to audio book where you left off, and then switch back? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Yes, and no.  Kindle will read some books to you, but it is done in a computery voice, from what I understand.  It isn't the same product as an actual audio book, which usually has the narrator actually changing voice and acting as characters.  I haven't done it, but this is my understanding.

Try it and report back.

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

they do but, unfortunately, ASOIAF is not one of the supported series yet.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_aud_wfv?ie=UTF8&node=5744819011

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »

Yes, and no.  Kindle will read some books to you, but it is done in a computery voice, from what I understand.  It isn't the same product as an actual audio book, which usually has the narrator actually changing voice and acting as characters.  I haven't done it, but this is my understanding.

Try it and report back.

I don't own a kindle.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »

That is pretty sweet. I was thinking I could read on the train but listen on my walk. Would be fantastic.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »

That is pretty sweet. I was thinking I could read on the train but listen on my walk. Would be fantastic.

"When you add the audio book from Audible"  So, you basically have to buy the book twice, and Audible is usually more expensive than the kindle version in my limited experience.  Your $9 kindle book will become $30 for it and the Audible book.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Is audible able to know where you left off on the print version so it can just start there, or do you have to find your spot on the audio version?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
i share a dropbox account with a couple of friends that we upload books to, which is where i found them. i'm assuming they were pirated. the names of the three stories are "the hedge knight", "the sworn sword" and "the mystery knight".

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
Has anybody read the collections that the Dunk and Egg stories are in? Are the other stories worth reading?