Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 326246 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3250 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
Catastrophe: Maybe google it?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: February 13, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
I think I should have said glycogen instead of glucose (haven't googled it in a while)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
I may look it up if I have the time. Just figured the folks here on the diet had done the legwork and understood why it works. :dunno:

FTR - I’m aware of all the sciency terms involved. I just don’t understand why changing your body’s primary source of fuel is a game changer. It sounds like whether you are in ketosis or not, avoiding carbs will mean fewer calories that can be easily stored as fat. Obviously tons of people lose weight without a ridiculously strict diet so your body is capable of tapping those fat reserves either way if your overall caloric intake is down.

But don’t worry guys, I’ll get to the bottom of it.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: February 14, 2018, 07:11:04 AM »
Let us know what you find out
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »
Caloric balance still matters, like always. You can get fat on keto if you want.

The advantage is you don't feel hungry in caloric restriction or really ever. Even energy levels and supercharged intellect and bad breath

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »
The advantage is you don't feel hungry in caloric restriction or really ever. Even energy levels and supercharged intellect and bad breath

This makes sense. I’ve generally heard that fasting is good every once in a while anyway. What about an even nutritional balance? Do you have to be careful about getting certain vitamins or is the diet still diverse enough?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: February 14, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »

This makes sense. I’ve generally heard that fasting is good every once in a while anyway. What about an even nutritional balance? Do you have to be careful about getting certain vitamins or is the diet still diverse enough?

not being a smartass, there's some really good info here that answers a lot of questions: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: February 14, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
So the chlorine in the pool is starting to make me itchy as hell on a daily basis now. I've never really been a firm moisturizing type of guy, but if you have any pro tips on products, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »

not being a smartass, there's some really good info here that answers a lot of questions: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Started reading this. Very informative. Thanks.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »

The only downside I've heard of is people getting kidney stones from too much red meat. But keto is a moderate protein diet, not high protein, so if you're eating so much red meat that you develop kidney stones then you either aren't doing keto right or you have an insanely high protein threshold* otherwise I don't believe the diet is inherently unbalanced or deficient in any key nutrients.

*your protein threshold is the amount of protein your body can use before converting the excess into carbs. It's different for every person, and it will be higher for you if you do a lot of strength training.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: February 14, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
So the chlorine in the pool is starting to make me itchy as hell on a daily basis now. I've never really been a firm moisturizing type of guy, but if you have any pro tips on products, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Aquaphor, my dude. You'll probably find you don't need it in the spring/summer when the air is less dry. And get a swim cap. It will make washing the pool smell out of your hair much easier.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
people call it moderate protein but then i keep seeing that i need 150-200 grams of protein per day and that seems like a loooot.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »

Aquaphor, my dude. You'll probably find you don't need it in the spring/summer when the air is less dry. And get a swim cap. It will make washing the pool smell out of your hair much easier.
:thumbs: TY

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: February 14, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
people call it moderate protein but then i keep seeing that i need 150-200 grams of protein per day and that seems like a loooot.

Depends on your weight/activity level/and if you're looking to gain or maintain or lose. The only way to know for certain is to get a blood meter that measures ketones and experiment. It's very expensive and you have to prick your finger a lot, but you can figure out fairly precisely what your threshold is. As long as your blood ketone level stays above a 0.5 (I think?) Then you're good. If I recall correctly 0.5 - 3.0 is kinda the typical keto range.

No idea how long it takes for the protein to affect the ketone levels in your blood. I've never gone to that level of precision. I just know for me I need to keep my protein around 80-100g per day. I also don't do nearly enough strength training.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: February 14, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
Don't worry about blood, urine, or breath tests.  If you eat at or below 20g of net carbs a day for a couple days, you will be in ketosis.  The measurement devices often tell you that ketones are present in your blood, urine, etc, but that doesn't really tell you if you are burning them.  You can be testing low and still in ketosis since your body will be using the ketones rather than pissing them out.

If looking into this for real, don't waste your time, go to Ketogains.com and read their FAQ and check out their pinned posts on their FB.  I started keto by other means/sets of info and ended up there over a period of 3-4 months, a couple years ago.  They are the best at science based info in application of the diet.  The main FB page has gotten a little out of control with a bunch of members that don't understand it, but the mods are extraordinary and the info available is fantastic.

Also, if you see some bullshit about high fat/low protien, just close that page and don't go back unless you are epileptic.

Calorie balance is still a thing.  You can't just go crazy on bacon and drop weight.  If you aren't keto yet, it will work for a short period of time, but then you body will catch up and you will start gaining weight.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
Did the ghost in your shower finally get you?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: February 15, 2018, 03:11:11 PM »
Bosu squat the amway of exercises. stop doing this immediately before someone sees you

:surprised:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: February 19, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

Cereve is the best. Get one of those tubs of the cream that has the pump. Not greasy and disgusting like other stuff. A bit pricy but worth it.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
alright people 2017 was a bad year for me but in early december i confronted some real issues i have with food and started making moves to become not fat. i'm down about 20 pounds since then and feeling great. here are the 3 basic rules i've been following:

1. work out 6x a week (3x p90x lift workouts, 3x HIIT-ish cardio)
2. eat fewer than 2000 calories every day
3. eliminate carbs as much as possible, preferably under 50g per day

my goal is to change habits for life. it's embarrassing to admit but i've really had to examine and change some habits that had become so normal for me: not getting seconds at every meal, controlling portion sizes, finishing my wife's plate when we're out to eat, etc... my eating habits when traveling for work were truly awful, so that's been an important change as well. eat a goddamn salad once in a while.

anyway, i'll be checking in periodically. i started at 294 :embarrassed: and would like to be around 225 by the end of the year which is what i was in high school. i'm already down a belt loop and my clothes actually fit, which is nice.

fat person update: as of this morning i'm at 268, so about 25 pounds down. the total weight loss has slowed since the initial rush but i can tell i'm gaining muscle so not too worried about it, because i continue to notice differences in the way i look and how my clothes fit. go cats.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: February 27, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
Great job ‘blast.  The scale might lie to you but your measurements and how your clothes fit never will.   

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: February 27, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
good job man

And for sure go by clothing fit and not a number.

I started running again and got back into a push up routine.

goal is 12 miles/week running and 100 push ups a day.

I was doing this with ease 3 years ago but got out.

My 36 waist are already loose but I haven't lost really measurable weight in 2 weeks.  just going different places.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3271 on: February 27, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
I like doing squats.  Getting back on that train.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
drinking on keto is a devil.  my tolerance goes down embarrassingly low and then the next day is a nightmare.

having a low tolerance is pretty fun though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: February 27, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
drinking on keto is a devil.  my tolerance goes down embarrassingly low and then the next day is a nightmare.

I'd rather just kill myself... jeez
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: February 27, 2018, 01:44:52 PM »

I'd rather just kill myself... jeez
i hate the taste of booze but love being drunk.  kind of a win win for me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]