Author Topic: So immigration...  (Read 60184 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: So immigration...
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
What's the difference between a refugee and immigrant?

Immigrants come here because they want to work for a much better wage than they could ever get back home and provide for their family. Refugees come because they don't want to get shot in the face execution-style.

Wyclef, tho.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »

Immigrants come here because they want to work for a much better wage than they could ever get back home and provide for their family. Refugees come because they don't want to get shot in the face execution-style.

What if it's both? What if they don't work?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
you have to be pretty effed up in the head to think its ok to send children back to their war torn countries after making the journey to America (land of free, home of the chiefs).  their parents sent them on a long, scary trip just to get to the US; which they figured was safer and better for them then staying in their homeland...i mean maybe you guise are parents, but my god, you'd have to be pretty worried about your child's welfare to put them in those circumstances, now we're going to send them back?

land of gtfo and scared of little kids is more like it.

have a heart, fsd.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
you have to be pretty effed up in the head to think its ok to send children back to their war torn countries after making the journey to America (land of free, home of the chiefs).  their parents sent them on a long, scary trip just to get to the US; which they figured was safer and better for them then staying in their homeland...i mean maybe you guise are parents, but my god, you'd have to be pretty worried about your child's welfare to put them in those circumstances, now we're going to send them back?

have a heart, fsd.

I'm all for keeping them but sending the bill to their home countries

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

have a heart, fsd.

I'm all for keeping them but sending the bill to their home countries

I think we should just keep them and foot the bill.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »

have a heart, fsd.

I didn't say to do that, dipshit. Also, I don't think throwing them in tent farms on the boarder is very humane either.

You have to be pretty mumped up in the head to look at the existing problem on the boarder and thin amnesty is a solution.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I think you have to find a way to give these kids amnesty and find a way to take care of them, but at the same time make it obviously and extremely unattractive for anyone to decide to come to the U.S. illegally.  The first part would probably be pretty hard and expensive, the second part would be pretty easy.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
I think you have to find a way to give these kids amnesty and find a way to take care of them, but at the same time make it obviously and extremely unattractive for anyone to decide to come to the U.S. illegally.  The first part would probably be pretty hard and expensive, the second part would be pretty easy.

It is very easy to make illegal immigration unattractive. It's just not easy to do that without losing millions of dollars from the economy, as Alabama learned a few years ago.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »

It is very easy to make illegal immigration unattractive. It's just not easy to do that without losing millions of dollars from the economy, as Alabama learned a few years ago.

It's hard to find enough Americans and legal immigrants or temporary workers to replace those who are no longer allowed to work, but I think after time it would level out.

I'm certainly no expert, but isn't/ shouldn't there be a way to streamline processes to allow for easier access to longer work visas and smoother legal immigrations?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

It's hard to find enough Americans and legal immigrants or temporary workers to replace those who are no longer allowed to work, but I think after time it would level out.

I'm certainly no expert, but isn't/ shouldn't there be a way to streamline processes to allow for easier access to longer work visas and smoother legal immigrations?

It is actually very hard for an uneducated person to immigrate to the US legally. In most cases, they literally have to win a lottery to get here, and the number we select is only a fraction of what the economy demands. I agree with you that it should be a whole lot easier than it is, but under the current system, working with what we have, I think getting the illegal immigration is a whole lot better than the alternative. I certainly can't fault somebody for wanting to come take a shot at living the American dream.

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/how-united-states-immigration-system-works-fact-sheet

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »

Wyclef, tho.

:lol:

ooo la la la, its the way that we rock when we doing our thing...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
It is actually very hard for an uneducated person to immigrate to the US legally. In most cases, they literally have to win a lottery to get here.

the people that speak against illegal immigrants using the trope "they should wait their place in line and immigrate legally, like everyone else" are contemptible.  if they want to argue that those people should have no path to immigrate to the us, that's fine, argue that.  but pretending that other options exist beyond not immigrating and immigrating illegally is dishonest.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
Do other countries make refugees citizens upon arrival?  If not, are those countries construed as inhumane?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
It is actually very hard for an uneducated person to immigrate to the US legally. In most cases, they literally have to win a lottery to get here.

the people that speak against illegal immigrants using the trope "they should wait their place in line and immigrate legally, like everyone else" are contemptible.  if they want to argue that those people should have no path to immigrate to the us, that's fine, argue that.  but pretending that other options exist beyond not immigrating and immigrating illegally is dishonest.

I think most people who say that sort of thing are more ignorant than contemptible. I really do think a lot of people believe it is just a matter of waiting your turn and getting into the US through patience and hard work. Politicians and members of the media who make statements like that absolutely are contemptible, though.

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
Lock up the border. Save us a ton of $$$ in the long run. Create a dead zone, think North Korea/South Korea. Rotate National Guard units down there every 2 weeks for patrol enforcement. Make it a HUGE deterrence to try and illegally get in. We waste sooooooooo much money on this thru welfare/free education/medical/etc.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
Lock up the border. Save us a ton of $$$ in the long run. Create a dead zone, think North Korea/South Korea. Rotate National Guard units down there every 2 weeks for patrol enforcement. Make it a HUGE deterrence to try and illegally get in. We waste sooooooooo much money on this thru welfare/free education/medical/etc.

Tunnels tho

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 08:15:35 AM »
The US-Mexico boarder is way more dangerous than the DMZ between North and South Korea. Think about that for a second.

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »
The US-Mexico boarder is way more dangerous than the DMZ between North and South Korea. Think about that for a second.

Exactly. Start dropping some bodies in that "DMZ" area and you'll have less illegals trying to cross.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »

We waste much less than the tax revenue generated by illegal immigration.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »

Exactly. Start dropping some bodies in that "DMZ" area and you'll have less illegals trying to cross.

No you won't.  I don't believe there has ever been a border, in the recorded history of mankind, where the difference in affluence between one country and another is so great (and with a largely land-based border to boot).

People will still flood into America because of the opportunity.  It will just be a riskier venture.

For God's sakes, tons of migrant workers from Nepal SIGN UP to be human slaves in Qatar because of the potential chance to send money back home, even though it rarely works out alright.

Adding more violence will beget violence because you'll just make them more desperate to cross.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
Yup, lets just start killing people looking for work and a better life so we can each save 10 dollars a year in taxes. Jfc
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Yup, lets just start killing people looking for work and a better life so we can each save 10 dollars a year in taxes. Jfc

We would actually end up paying more in taxes, though. We really are going to start killing them because we just don't like their kind.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Why not? We kill unborn children because irresponsibility.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »

We would actually end up paying more in taxes, though. We really are going to start killing them because we just don't like their kind.

I don't think comparing impact on GDP to tax expenditures is a very honest analysis

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
The New Colossus a sonnet for American Exceptionalism by Fake Sugar Dick

"...Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your whites, your Protestant,
Your blue-eyed masses yearning to pay a flat(fair) income tax,
The english speakers of your Northern European shore.
Send these, plus maybe some Asians, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"