Author Topic: Having trouble with your golf game?  (Read 18134 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble with your golf game?
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2024, 03:33:08 PM »
Been hitting the ball a lot better lately. Worried its just the beginning of the season weirdness where everything is going right and then crashes. Just my second year really playing so i'm def playing catch up, but I'm starting to figure out why crap is happening which I think is progress. :dunno: I still struggle with the either or issue. I'm either hitting the driver pretty well and not making great contact with the irons, or I'm doing ok with the irons and I may as well not even try using my driver. Right now i'm hitting the driver the best I ever have. Long irons are the struggle. I do ok with wedge through 7-8. First lesson of the year next week so I'm hoping to get a couple things ironed out with my hands. That is where I feel i'm off on the irons. Some days i'm very uncomfortable especially with my right hand and those are the days things go bad.

Have you tried playing 3w off the tee? I do that sometimes, because my driver game is complete crap.

I do sometimes, but honestly, if i'm hitting my 3w ok, i'm prob hitting my driver ok. Again, its really an either or issue with my swing/hand positions. I just got back from the range a bit ago and I was nailing the driver, but just not making good contact with any irons outside of my wedge. I grabbed my 3w and even hit that really well off the freaking mat, which rarely happens.  I've sort of figured a couple things out that have helped me a bit, but i'm really curious as to what my guy says next week. He's pretty good with, "yeah, that's a completely mumped way of doing that, but, it seems to be working for you so lets run with it".

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2024, 04:02:26 PM »
Been hitting the ball a lot better lately. Worried its just the beginning of the season weirdness where everything is going right and then crashes. Just my second year really playing so i'm def playing catch up, but I'm starting to figure out why crap is happening which I think is progress. :dunno: I still struggle with the either or issue. I'm either hitting the driver pretty well and not making great contact with the irons, or I'm doing ok with the irons and I may as well not even try using my driver. Right now i'm hitting the driver the best I ever have. Long irons are the struggle. I do ok with wedge through 7-8. First lesson of the year next week so I'm hoping to get a couple things ironed out with my hands. That is where I feel i'm off on the irons. Some days i'm very uncomfortable especially with my right hand and those are the days things go bad.

Have you tried playing 3w off the tee? I do that sometimes, because my driver game is complete crap.

I do sometimes, but honestly, if i'm hitting my 3w ok, i'm prob hitting my driver ok. Again, its really an either or issue with my swing/hand positions. I just got back from the range a bit ago and I was nailing the driver, but just not making good contact with any irons outside of my wedge. I grabbed my 3w and even hit that really well off the freaking mat, which rarely happens.  I've sort of figured a couple things out that have helped me a bit, but i'm really curious as to what my guy says next week. He's pretty good with, "yeah, that's a completely mumped way of doing that, but, it seems to be working for you so lets run with it".

I have this Ping driver that I've just never been able to hit, outside of a few lucky swings. I think a fitting might help, and I happen to live right above a club fitting shop (but don't want to spend the bread). My 3w game, however, is on point. Same with wedges and irons (understanding that I'm, at best, a mediocre golfer). Have you ever had a club fitting?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2024, 08:32:03 AM »

I have this Ping driver that I've just never been able to hit, outside of a few lucky swings. I think a fitting might help, and I happen to live right above a club fitting shop (but don't want to spend the bread). My 3w game, however, is on point. Same with wedges and irons (understanding that I'm, at best, a mediocre golfer). Have you ever had a club fitting?

No, i'm not at that point yet. Maybe some day. Everyone i've talked to said it would be pointless to do/pay for a fitting so early on. Once I get my swing repeatable enough, I may do it, but for now I just bought some Cobra Irons at Dicks and a driver that was rated for beginners. I'm coming along though. Last year was my first year of playing consistently and it was really up and down as expected. I think/hope I hit a point fairly recently where I kind of know enough that I can self correct a bit. That obviously helps on the range so I just need more swings so I can be better on the course. Lessons start this week so it will be interesting to see what he says and has me do. I'm actually a little worried its going to put a bunch of new stuff in my head and mess up the progress I have had the last couple of months.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:33 AM »
It's a fine line... Definitely easy to get information overload to a point where you're just twisting yourself in knots. I admire how bubba Watson has purportedly never taken a formal lesson, but he's also an exceptional talent. If you don't fully understand the mechanics it can be very valuable to have someone who does say "hey quit moving your head around so much" or w/e and like bam game changer that just fixed a bunch of your issues

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2024, 09:50:27 AM »
It's a fine line... Definitely easy to get information overload to a point where you're just twisting yourself in knots. I admire how bubba Watson has purportedly never taken a formal lesson, but he's also an exceptional talent. If you don't fully understand the mechanics it can be very valuable to have someone who does say "hey quit moving your head around so much" or w/e and like bam game changer that just fixed a bunch of your issues

Golf is very weird. Its really the only sport I've tried where I really really struggled. I'm def shitty at other sports, but I could always at least be average. When I first just started going out there, I obviously sucked ass, but started getting a bit better on my own just by playing. Then I took some lessons and learned some things and got a bit better. Then, out of rough ridin' nowhere, I couldn't even hit the ball 30 feet. Just over and over I would be slicing, chunking, etc. It just happened and it lasted for like a month or more. That is the hardest part mentally for me. I feel like I'm doing the same thing I did before, but the results are crap and I have no idea why. As I said above, I hope i'm a bit past that as I've kind of figured out that if the ball does this, I probably did that and can adjust a bit. Learning to play golf past 40 is not recommended. I'm making my kids play so they at least learn the basics early.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2024, 07:05:35 PM »

Golf is very weird. Its really the only sport I've tried where I really really struggled. I'm def shitty at other sports, but I could always at least be average. When I first just started going out there, I obviously sucked ass, but started getting a bit better on my own just by playing. Then I took some lessons and learned some things and got a bit better. Then, out of rough ridin' nowhere, I couldn't even hit the ball 30 feet. Just over and over I would be slicing, chunking, etc. It just happened and it lasted for like a month or more. That is the hardest part mentally for me. I feel like I'm doing the same thing I did before, but the results are crap and I have no idea why. As I said above, I hope i'm a bit past that as I've kind of figured out that if the ball does this, I probably did that and can adjust a bit. Learning to play golf past 40 is not recommended. I'm making my kids play so they at least learn the basics early.
I wish I would of learned to play as a kid but my dad never played so I ended up taking a 1 credit hr golf class at ole ksu and had a buddy who worked at Colbert hills who would let us play the par 3 for free. That class was the only instruction I've ever had and my grip is pretty messed up now from figuring out what works for me. Ended up shooting an 88 at Hodge Park in Nkc last weekend so I'm happy with that.

About 4 years ago I went through a stretch like you were talking about where I just couldn't hit a ball, literally went home after losing 10+ balls on 7 holes on a 9 hole round after work.

Stopped playing for about a month and I was back to normal.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2024, 08:33:54 AM »

I wish I would of learned to play as a kid but my dad never played so I ended up taking a 1 credit hr golf class at ole ksu and had a buddy who worked at Colbert hills who would let us play the par 3 for free. That class was the only instruction I've ever had and my grip is pretty messed up now from figuring out what works for me. Ended up shooting an 88 at Hodge Park in Nkc last weekend so I'm happy with that.

About 4 years ago I went through a stretch like you were talking about where I just couldn't hit a ball, literally went home after losing 10+ balls on 7 holes on a 9 hole round after work.

Stopped playing for about a month and I was back to normal.

This was the advice everyone gave me during that time, but I continued to go to the range several times a week thinking I could figure it out. I bought an 8 lesson package this year really just to spread them out over the playing season so if something goes bad, I can meet and hopefully reset. When it goes bad, i've learned that I either need to break or get in front of someone that knows what they are doing and can help.