Author Topic: US World Cup Roster  (Read 8456 times)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
US World Cup Roster
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
No Charlie Davies  :cry:

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Brian Ching (Houston), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Aris, Greece).

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/05/11/davies.usroster.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0neivwVtu
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: US World Cup Roster
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
DeMarcus Beasley  :lol:

Offline threadkiller

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
No Jermaine Jones.    :frown:

No Conor Casey.   :pbj:

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
I'm kinda surprised Eddie Johnson made it.

Offline threadkiller

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
I'm kinda surprised Eddie Johnson made it.

Still a long shot to make the 23 imo.  However, he's refound his game since his loan to Greece.  Nobody in our pool is going to replace Davies, but Johnson is one of the few who has the speed to really stretch people. 

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
What do people see in Brian Ching? And the idea of Eddie Johnson playing in the World Cup is just preposterous. Get ready to watch us try and punt it to Altidore and then not give him any support.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
We will do what we always seem to do. Let the other team hold the ball for 60 minutes and fire shots on our goal and hope we get lucky with a counter.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Butt Fugly

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »
No Jermaine Jones.    :frown:

No Conor Casey.   :pbj:

Jones didn't play this season in the bundesliga because of a shin injury.

Butt Fugly

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
What do people see in Brian Ching? And the idea of Eddie Johnson playing in the World Cup is just preposterous. Get ready to watch us try and punt it to Altidore and then not give him any support.

He can hold up the ball pretty well.  But that's pretty much it other than trying hard.   

Bring back McBride!!!!

The42Yardstick

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
I know nothing about US Soccer except eff MEXICO :kstatriot:

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
We will do what we always seem to do. Let the other team hold the ball for 60 minutes and fire shots on our goal and hope we get lucky with a counter.

It's actually almost a valid approach, we have badass goalies.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:42 AM »
did any of you watch the last serious int'l competition?  our only chance is counter-attack with donovan.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »
did any of you watch the last serious int'l competition?  our only chance is counter-attack with donovan.

meh.  in those 2 and a half wins in the confederation cup 1 goal out of the 7 was a pure counter attack goal:  the clark to donovan to davies to donovan combination against Brazil.   Spain and Brazil play so far up the field though any time you get the ball you are going to have a chance to counter.

Egypt: goal 1 was Davies getting a cheap hustle goal and the Egypt defense falling over itself
Egypt: goal 2 was combination play between Bradley and Donovan down the heart of the Egyptian defense
Egypt: goal 3 was off a set play I think ... a Dempsey header.

Spain: goal 1 was Altidore turning his defender on a nice pass from Dempsey.  not much defense there and might be considered a counter.
Spain: goal 2 Dempsey getting to a loose ball inside the 6 yard box and easily putting it home.

Brazil: goal 1 was a Dempsey redirect off a Spector cross in the normal run of play.
Brazil: goal 2 was the pure counter mentioned above.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:41 AM »
This team needs more Frankie Hejduk.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
Ching plays like his head isn't stuck up his ass, unlike Beasley. I'm curious to see if Buddle could make an impact.
[

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
hate Brian Ching.  the options at forward here w/o Davies is incredibly weak.

i would drop Ching and bring Buddle and Gomez along w/ Altidore.  I can see a 4-5-1 formation or a 4-3-2-1 formation.  with Dempsey/Donovan kind of playing 2nd and 3rd forwards.

Spector-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
Clark-Edu-Bradley
Dempsey-Donovan
Altidore

that's kind of defensive but we can bring in Holden, Feilhaber, Buddle, Gomez, Torres, Bornstein to make it a more attacking team.

also if Altidore doesn't pull his head out of his ass i'd like to see Buddle there with his experience playing w/ Donovan and playing alone up top in a 4-5-1 for the Galaxy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:15:24 AM by mcmwcat »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »

meh.  in those 2 and a half wins in the confederation cup 1 goal out of the 7 was a pure counter attack goal:  the clark to donovan to davies to donovan combination against Brazil.   Spain and Brazil play so far up the field though any time you get the ball you are going to have a chance to counter.

Egypt: goal 1 was Davies getting a cheap hustle goal and the Egypt defense falling over itself
Egypt: goal 2 was combination play between Bradley and Donovan down the heart of the Egyptian defense

Spain: goal 1 was Altidore turning his defender on a nice pass from Dempsey.  not much defense there and might be considered a counter.
Spain: goal 2 Dempsey getting to a loose ball inside the 6 yard box and easily putting it home.

Brazil: goal 1 was a Dempsey redirect off a Spector cross in the normal run of play.

That is excellent.  I could in no way replicate those descriptions, even though I watched the games, but I doubt that any would argue that our best mode of attack is when we are on a swift counter attack.  Obviously it is conceivable that we could score goals after sustained possession pressure with a number of crosses coming in to the box.  But we are not very creative, we lack anyone seriously capable of breaking down a defense from a standing position or with multiple men behind the ball and so we are left with early runs that get us behind the defense.  Unless we have out fullbacks pushed up (or overlapping in to open space) we are dreadful at playing up the middle of the pitch with short passes or creating space with individual runs without space to run in. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

i would drop Ching and bring Buddle and Gomez along w/ Altidore.  I can see a 4-5-1 formation or a 4-3-2-1 formation.  with Dempsey/Donovan kind of playing 2nd and 3rd forwards.

Clark-Edu-Bradley
Dempsey-Donovan
Altidore

that's kind of defensive but we can bring in Holden, Feilhaber, Buddle, Gomez, Torres, Bornstein to make it a more attacking team.

also if Altidore doesn't pull his head out of his ass i'd like to see Buddle there with his experience playing w/ Donovan and playing alone up top in a 4-5-1 for the Galaxy.

Altidore needs to play well and he is capable of being the most physically dominating presence on the field most times he plays.  This is a huge advantage, particularly at the World Cup.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
WHERE IS FREDDY ADU!!!!!!!!!11????????//

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
God, please don't let Brain Ching make the final roster. He is a talent-less douche that is slow and weak. He gives us nothing. His play during the Gold Cup was embarrassing. I can't think if he even scored once. If he did, it was probably luck.

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
I hate Steve Cherundolo. I hope he is not a starter on the world cup squad. As for the 30-man roster, there are a couple  names I've never heard of (Bedoya), and I follow USA soccer whenever they play.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »
I hate Steve Cherundolo. I hope he is not a starter on the world cup squad. As for the 30-man roster, there are a couple  names I've never heard of (Bedoya), and I follow USA soccer whenever they play.

i like dolo.  he has a ton of experience playing in meaningful games.  but choosing between him and spector is like choosing which tooth the torturing guy is going to pull out of your mouth.  i feel that way about every defender the U.S. has.  they are all no-talent-ass-clowns who wouldn't make the starting lineup of any other country in the fifa top 20 rankings.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »

Clark-Edu-Bradley
Dempsey-Donovan
Altidore

Altidore needs to play well and he is capable of being the most physically dominating presence on the field most times he plays.  This is a huge advantage, particularly at the World Cup.

yes.  he needs some motivation though.  maybe Davies can get in another car wreck or the govt can cause another Haitian earthquake.  using 6 midfielders with Dempsey up top all alone isn't something I want to see.  for Fulham against Atl. Madrid, Dempsey was invisible yesterday.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »

That is excellent.  I could in no way replicate those descriptions, even though I watched the games, but I doubt that any would argue that our best mode of attack is when we are on a swift counter attack.  Obviously it is conceivable that we could score goals after sustained possession pressure with a number of crosses coming in to the box.  But we are not very creative, we lack anyone seriously capable of breaking down a defense from a standing position or with multiple men behind the ball and so we are left with early runs that get us behind the defense.  Unless we have out fullbacks pushed up (or overlapping in to open space) we are dreadful at playing up the middle of the pitch with short passes or creating space with individual runs without space to run in. 

i think that's mostly right.  w/o Davies speed the counter game won't be nearly as effective.  scoring from set pieces is going to be huge.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »
If any of you creeps live in KC, we are having a huge watch party for the England game at The Point. Opening at 9am.