Author Topic: Whew . . . I sure am glad Bernie  (Read 9942 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Whew . . . I sure am glad Bernie
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Ben . . . again congrats, AFH finally got the renovations it needed 20 years ago.  The rest still stands . . . it took on average 12-15 years from first request to actual completion of most projects at ku, and the stand alone track has been on the drawing board for AT LEAST 5 years if not longer.   ku is operating in the red, and the athletic department is under investigation by the FBI and over $50 million dollars in debt.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
Ben . . . again congrats, AFH finally got the renovations it needed 20 years ago.  The rest still stands . . . it took on average 12-15 years from first request to actual completion of most projects at ku, and the stand alone track has been on the drawing board for AT LEAST 5 years if not longer.   ku is operating in the red, and the athletic department is under investigation by the FBI and over $50 million dollars in debt.

'Pad... AFH was renovated back in '05.  The recent $55 million in upgrades were nothing more than a luxury.  Also, the improvements went towards more than just AFH.  The fact that you're in denial up to your ears is no big surprise, though.  Care to provide a link for those claims that KU is operating in the red and $50 million in debt?  TIA.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
How could you miss the USA Today Article Ben??

"It just says the economy sucks out there," says athletics director Lew Perkins of Kansas, where expenses outpaced revenue for the first time since 1988, according to the department. Athletic departments are "spending what they have to. What's happened is the revenues, because of the economy, are going one way and our expenditures — travel, all those kinds of things — are going up and up and up. Tuition goes up. You have no control over it."

But Perkins acknowledges having control over what KU pays coaches, and its highest-paid by far is men's basketball's Bill Self. In 2007, Self was guaranteed $1.6 million. That season, the Jayhawks were a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament and advanced to the round of eight. In 2008, they won the national title as Self's alma mater — rival Oklahoma State — was looking for a new coach. He spurned Oklahoma State, and KU responded with a new deal that this season guarantees him nearly $3.4 million.

"We felt like after a national championship ... we wanted to put him in the top five or 10 highest-paid coaches," Perkins says, "and that's about where he is right now."

Perkins says the budget crunch will ease. "We're not in a panic mode at all," Perkins adds. "We think we're going to be fine. Everybody, Ohio State and all these other schools, I think we just have to manage our dollars differently than we did before. ... But you can't stop the operation."

At Kansas, the men's basketball players took a few more trips by bus instead of plane this season

ku sold over $30 million dollars worth of bonds to renovate AFH, they still have a substantial portion of the bonds to pay back from the football stadium renovation back in 1998, and they took a $6 million dollar no interest loan on building the football facility, and I am not certain they have paid back the $4 million they borrowed from the Williams Fund in 2004 to finish the weightroom at AFH.

We've been over this before Ben . . . it's time to quit smoking all that pot, clean yourself out and get your memory back.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:30:11 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
Jeezus, 'Pad... taking personal shots now because you've been caught with your pants down regarding K-State's dismal athletic department?  So KU's expenses are exceeding revenue for the first time since '88... that would make sense given all the upgrades KU has done recently to its athletic facilities.  Meanwhile, K-State can't even begin to break ground on a basketball practice facility.  Hey, maybe that new practice facility will finally get done around 2025 or so.  At that point K-State will be dominating the WAC. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
At the end of FY 2009 ku athletics had $45.430 million dollars in revenue bonds outstanding,  and a note payable for $6 million (likely the no interest loan).    

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
That's operating expenses Ben, operating expenses on the operating budget, and travel budgets and what not have been cut . . . ku is operating in the red, and LOL at Lew trying to drag other schools into it, the majority of the cost of the facilities projects was paid for with long term debt. 

Plus, the basketball practice facility is a lot closer to happening than what is being let on.   Hey maybe ku will finally have that stand alone outdoor track by 2015 . . . at least a decade after it first come out of the architects office. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
The $85 million deal with IMG should help.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
That's spread out over 12 years Ben.  Plus it's diluted by things like the new videoboard at Memorial Stadium . . . all of that is not cash, and IMG pretty much controls everything from sponsorships to licensing.   

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
How many bonds and note payables does it take to get to the sweet 16?

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
What's the story on this restaurant in the clubhouse? Is it open to the public and do you think they will have a bloody mary bar?

Yes, it is open to the public; I think they start serving dinners this week, up until now they've only served lunch and appetizers for dinner.  And yes they have a bar that serves bloody marys.  I don't like them myself, but I hear they are good.

The clubhouse is nice, but not extravagent.  Its a nice upgrade from the mobiles they've had since it opened.  I won't complain much about this b/c Colbert Hills is good for Manhattan to have;really the indoor practice range deal is the only exclusive thing for the golf team, everything else at Colbert is open to the public.  Its not like I can pay $45 and go play pick-up games in Bramlage or in BSFS.

currie should do this.  we need the revenue.

just move men's bb practice to Lee outdoor courts :love:
Fly, Eddie. Fly.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »

That's rich coming from a fan of a school that hasn't been to a Final Four since the 1960's, and has never won a national title in any sport. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »

That's rich coming from a fan of a school that hasn't been to a Final Four since the 1960's, and has never won a national title in any sport. 

So defensive it's scary.  Relax.  Enjoy the banter with your future MWC brothers.