Author Topic: Help cas learn how to play the guitar and become a music legend  (Read 9405 times)

Offline D-FRED-BROWN

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help cas learn how to play the guitar and become a music legend
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »
Use Ableton Live music software.  Master that.  Then play that through the speakers while you silently strum at your world tour.   :love:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
you have no idea how much hate you will be getting from me if you just learn wonderwall or crash and thats it. if you actually want to learn guitar and not be some douchetard playing the same chords over and over again, getting everyone around to you who knows anything about music or playing an instrument to think you that you suck, then buy a decent guitar and a tuner. you'll have it for the rest of your life and 15 years down the road you'll have an even better sounding guitar than you did when you bought it. and practice. ask someone who knows what the proper position is for your hands and play everyday. tabs are fine, so are chords. chords are by far more important. learn every guitar chord there is known to man, and learn to play them cleanly. to start use standard tuning and play A to D to C to E to F to B to G. This will help you get to know all the chords, allow you to become familiar with chord changes and chord shapes, and strengthen you fingers (there are also varying finger strengthening and stretching exercises you can do, pm me if you really want to know). After you are able to go through this cleanly or if you just want to hear something different just start jumping from whatever chord you want to whatever chord you want. if you really want to do yourself a favor learn to read music. it will make you a better player.

Tabs are fun, but run into a dead end as far as teaching value. Chords are very important. Once you get these two down, move on to music reading and theory. theory is doable through tablature.

also youtube is a great tool if you like to learn that way.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
Good god. Asava's post made me quit playing the guitar. I didn't realize it was so hard/so much work.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
You don't need to go and drop 5-600 bucks on a guitar but you don't wanna go down and pick one up at Costco either.  for 250-300 bucks you should be able to find a quality used guitar at a local music shop.  The smaller shops, as opposed to places like Guitar Center, will be able to get you the most for your money.  They will have more than likely inspected the guitars and wont sell you one with a bowed neck or other hard to see deformities that a bigger place wont care to inform you about. 
Also, yes songs like "Wonderwall" are lol'able because that's what everyone plays at parties, BUT if that's what you want to play then you play the rough ridin' crap out of it!    :cool:
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
Limestone has had a Fender strat (blue) and a Marshall amp for 4 years now and never learned.  That all changes this spring.  I'm going to learn.  and then rock out.

Question though, my guitar has spent some time leaning against the wall, did I ruin it?

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
Limestone has had a Fender strat (blue) and a Marshall amp for 4 years now and never learned.  That all changes this spring.  I'm going to learn.  and then rock out.

Question though, my guitar has spent some time leaning against the wall, did I ruin it?

You're probably ok.  You can hold it parallel to the ground and make sure that the neck is still straight, but I'm sure it's fine. Extreme cold and/or heat are worse for it.   

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »

You're probably ok.  You can hold it parallel to the ground and make sure that the neck is still straight, but I'm sure it's fine. Extreme cold and/or heat are worse for it.   

Sweet.  What is the best kind of tuner to get this bad boy up and running?

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
I wouldn't buy from a pawn shop unless you've shopped new/used somewhere else and really know what something should be priced at. All the pawn shops I've ever looked in want way too much money for abused guitars. I'm sure there are deals out there but you need to be an "educated buyer".

One of the most important things is to find a guitar with a good fit. Everyone has different hand/finger sizes and finding one that fits well in your lap and your fingers fitting well to the frets is v. important. Find a friend's guitar, learn a few basic chords well, and that will at least get you started on knowing what fits and what doesn't. I can wail on my old hand-me-down crappy korean acoustic (broken, not worth fixing) which is about 7/8 the size of my $100 new yamaha beater, which just doesn't fit me well. I play for a couple hours every day and still get hand cramps way too quickly with that thing, not to mention I simply can't play it anywhere near as well as the smaller one.

Regarding the best way to learn, my advice is probably pretty bad. I learned without any kind of chord book or instruction of any kind. Hence if I were to take even basic lessons, I would probably get yelled at for not doing things technically correct. Also, this sounds stupid, but LEARNING HOW TO TUNE the guitar should be one of the first things you spend a lot of time on. You can get very discouraged very fast by not having your guitar in tune.

The main thing I would say about learning guitar (or any musical instrument) is that you should REALLY want to learn. It won't happen overnight. It will take you a really long time to get good. If you walk into the room and cannot help wanting to pick up your guitar just about every spare moment you have, you will probably be ok, regardless of how you teach yourself.
Fly, Eddie. Fly.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline D-FRED-BROWN

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
you have no idea how much hate you will be getting from me if you just learn wonderwall or crash and thats it. if you actually want to learn guitar and not be some douchetard playing the same chords over and over again, getting everyone around to you who knows anything about music or playing an instrument to think you that you suck, then buy a decent guitar and a tuner. you'll have it for the rest of your life and 15 years down the road you'll have an even better sounding guitar than you did when you bought it. and practice. ask someone who knows what the proper position is for your hands and play everyday. tabs are fine, so are chords. chords are by far more important. learn every guitar chord there is known to man, and learn to play them cleanly. to start use standard tuning and play A to D to C to E to F to B to G. This will help you get to know all the chords, allow you to become familiar with chord changes and chord shapes, and strengthen you fingers (there are also varying finger strengthening and stretching exercises you can do, pm me if you really want to know). After you are able to go through this cleanly or if you just want to hear something different just start jumping from whatever chord you want to whatever chord you want. if you really want to do yourself a favor learn to read music. it will make you a better player.

Tabs are fun, but run into a dead end as far as teaching value. Chords are very important. Once you get these two down, move on to music reading and theory. theory is doable through tablature.

also youtube is a great tool if you like to learn that way.

Oasis  :love:

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »

Sweet.  What is the best kind of tuner to get this bad boy up and running?

You can get an alright tuner for less than 30 bucks.  I have a nice one and a cheaper one and there really isn't too terribly big of a difference b/w the two.  

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »

wouldn't hurt to get your truss rod adjusted. just take it to somewhere that isn't guitar center and they'll do it in like 10 minutes. may also need to get your bridge adjusted, but i no way did you ruin it.

also no need to spend more than $20 on a tuner unless you want a pedal tuner, which have their perks.

to add to the other discussion, its a very good idea to buy used. You can find some pretty nice guitars for good prices. but i recommend going with a friend who knows what he's doing and have him play it, get his suggestions.

Online Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 AM »
If you just want to learn to play songs on the guitar look up Tablature(?) This worked great for cireksu in college to impress chicks.

that wouldn't be a bad start.

gotta start somewhere ya know?

http://www.harmony-central.com/

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/tab.html

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:17 AM »
Don't learn Wonderwall... Start with Colombia from their first album. Easier to play and kicks way more ass!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 10:07:27 AM »
I should tell you, I suck at Guitar Hero, is this a problem?

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
I should tell you, I suck at Guitar Hero, is this a problem?

Guitar Hero should be put on hold while you're trying to learn the real deal.  By "on hold" I mean you should never play it again.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
No help on the guitar, but I if you have any questions about becoming a god on the trombone, feel free to ask.   :fatty:

Online Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
No help on the guitar, but I if you have any questions about becoming a god doing the rusty trombone, feel free to ask.   :fatty:

fyp.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
No help on the guitar, but I if you have any questions about becoming a god doing the rusty trombone, feel free to ask.   :fatty:

fyp.

:flush:

Online Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »
 :peek: