Author Topic: Christmas Lights  (Read 10572 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Lights
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »
our hood is iced out. we were one of the few holdouts until this season.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
Whoa. We're homeowners now. Maybe I should look into this thing.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
If I were a serious Christmas light person I would go with something like this.  It would be fun to get a KSU Cats purple and white theme going.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/kU9CoWok5G4[/youtube]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »
Oh, I turned my lights on last night, I just use a dusk to dawn on/off thing. I don't care if some of you think its too early.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
My neighborhood is pretty sad, too. Still way too many old people. I'd say 2/3 do nothing. A few use pros and you can always tell because they are very clean lines but also very minimal - typically just the eaves but no windows. They also often cut corners and go with colder LEDs. Then you've got the inflatables, which are a poor subsititute but way easier than lights. At least they're doing something. Me and a few others go all out.

Decorating fopaux: people who wrap their trees with green lights on the trunk and white lights on the branches. Why do people think the trunk should be green?

spelling faux pas

wellll...they don't make brown lights, so that's the first stumbling block.   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:43:31 PM by Mikeyis4dcats »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Why do people think the trunk should be green?

Been asking this for years.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
wellll...they don't make brown lights, so that's the first stumbling block.   

Well yeah, but green? If anything, wouldn't you use green for the leaves instead?

I used to go through the time and frustration of trying to wrap all the major branches of my little trees. Gave that up and switched to the spiral. Pro tip on trees: Unless you're going to go to the effort of individually wrapping all the 1+ inch branches, you're going to waste a LOT of time and lights on a result that doesn't look that great. Just spiraling around the branches can look really classy if you do it fairly evenly, not to mention way faster and easier. And NEVER just do a trunk - that's ghetto city.

I really need to create a tutorial on all this stuff.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
lol at this thread.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
I think K-S-U should take this thread over and take us through his process step by step with photos. That would be a great read.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
Ok, since everyone is clamoring for it, here is KSUdub's guide to Christmas lighting your house like a boss. this is gonna have to be in several parts for easy reading.

First thing you've got to decide is how big to go with your display. My first suggestion is don't half-ass this. Focus on an area and do it well. We're going to start with the house. Think if this as your aerial assault before the ground incursion. If you've got a two-story house and you only do the lower level, it's gonna look half-ass. Plan on hitting every major window, door, garage door, and roof line. this might require an extension ladder. They're easy to find used on Craigslist and store easily by hanging from your garage wall or ceiling.

Next, the lights. LED is really the only way to go at this point. Too many advantages over incandescent. More durable, longer lasting, and way less energy consumption, which saves on utilities and also makes it way easier to connect large displays.

The two main bulb sizes for house decoration are C7 or C9. Like buying a TV, you won't ever regret going bigger. C7 is ok for small homes pretty close to the street, but for anything else C9s are the way to go. (Note, you can also go with the dangly icicle light direction, or other specialty bulbs, but that is not my preferred look so it is outside this tutorial).

You need to understand that LEDs are directional. This is important! Unlike incandescent, which cast an even glow, LEDs are much brighter when viewed head-on than from the side. This means that (1) you'll want bulbs designed to diffuse the light as much as possible to create more of a multi-directional glow, and (2) you'll want to orient the bulbs so they point outward toward the street - not up towards the sky or down towards the ground (this will be important when we discuss fasteners later on)!

See these bulbs? The pinecone texture helps diffuse the light. This is what you want.

When buying lights, don't buy the crap at the big box stores which come pre-wired in set lengths. Those bulbs are cheaper, dimmer (only 1 LED), and often can't be replaced. A good LED bulb has at least 3 LEDs. So when you shop LED Christmas Lights, search for "LED Replacement Bulbs." That will get you to the right stores. These bulbs screw into the same stringers that the old incandescents used. These babies retail for around $1 per bulb, but you can sometimes find them cheaper on eBay. Make sure to buy all your bulbs from the same manufacturer because LED color can vary significantly!

Regarding white, you can buy "warm white" of "cool white," but there is only one choice here. Warm white. If you are even considering the bluish "cool white" bulbs, get the eff out of my tutorial.

You can also choose between non-dimmable and more expensive dimmable LED bulbs. You only need dimmable if you plan to set your lights to music and do fade effects, etc. That's beyond this tutorial. I stick with the non-dimmable.

In the next entry, we're gonna talk stringers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
Ok, so because you've done the right thing and purchased your bulbs separately from the wire, the next thing you've going to need is the wire, called a "stringer." If you're concerned about cutting your own wire, don't be. This stuff is easy to use!

First, do an estimate of how many feet you'll need to line your house, and then order a spool. Search for "C7 or C9 stringer." Comes in green or white.

White is way better for the house as it blends much better to trim. Green is better for yard.

Your spool might come with one male plug on one end, but you're going to cut this spool up into different sections for each roofline and window. No more stuffing away the sockets of half an unused stringer. You're doing this like a pro. So, once you cut up your spool (regular wire snips are all you need), you need some male and female plugs. The same stores that sell the sringers sell the plugs. They are cheap and easily snap onto the ends.

You obviously need a male plug for each line. You do not need a female plug on the other end! (Just wrap the other end in duct tape to cap it off).

Another trick is that you can buy female plugs and snap them into the middle of a run. This allows easy branching off from a roof line strand to decorate a window.

Alright, so now you've got your lights and your perfectly cut stringers. Because you bought your lights separate, you can either go all one color or create different patterns, whatever you want to do.

Next we'll talk about fasteners.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:44:36 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
Ok guys, now that you've got your lights and stringers, you might think you're home free. But hold on. Fastening them to your house is nice clean lines will literally make or break your display. This is where choosing the right fastener is essential. Not only do the lights need to be held securely in a straight line - remember that LEDs need to pointed in the right direction for optimal brightness!

For roof lines where singles come to the eaves, shingle tabs are the way to go. See how the light points out? These puppies slide under your shingles.

For gutters, standard gutter clips work great. Again, make sure the clip can point the bulb outward.

Note that these plastic clips will become brittle after a few seasons and might need to be replaced, but they're super cheap and usually come in boxes of 100.

For windows and other vertical surfaces, sometimes the best solution is a good old staple gun. if you are dealing with vinyl or metal surface where staples are not appropriate, transparent duct tape is a messier but decent solution. There are lots of other solutions advertised, but they usually don't do a good job of holding the lights in a straight line pointed outward!

Finally, I know we've been focusing on the house, but let's not neglect the ground. A nice line of ground stakes can really set off the contours of your driveway, path, or landscaping beds.

In the next installment, let's talk trees and landscaping.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:43:22 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Alright, this next topic may be a little controversial, because when it comes to lighting trees and landscaping, it's really just as much art as science.

Let's get one of the thorniest topics out of the way right at the outset. Net lighting. Is it trashy? Not if it used right. Don't ever use it in trees, or on your house (yes, I've seen it there), or spread out on your lawn (I've seen it there, too). But if you lay it over bushes it can achieve a nice effect.

For trees, don't just wrap the trunks. This may be the most common and trashiest mistake of a novice decorator. The second most common mistake is wrapping a couple of branches and then giving up because wrapping branches is a massive pain in the ass. Wrapping branches, like marriage, is a serious commitment not to be taken lightly. Either be prepared to go all in, wrapping every major and mid-major branch (anything over an inch in a small tree) in their entirety, or don't eff with this.

There is no shame in doing a spiral around the tree. Just don't throw some crap up there. Try to keep the lines evenly spaced as you go up and around.

Getting the right lights will help, to an extent. The stubby LED mini lights help avoid snags when decorating trees.

And don't forget putting more of your house's C7s or C9s on ground stakes to line your landscaping. Really completes your gingerbread house look.

In the final installment, we're going to cover a few more odds and ends.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
A couple of assholes in my new hood went WAY overboard on Halloween decorations. I'm afraid to see what crap they roll out for Christmas.

Side note: My idiot neighbor next door has had a tree up for 3 weeks now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »
The gutter clips and straight lines are a must.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »
I have a super steep pitch and no ladder to get up that high. And my wife would laugh super hard if I paid someone to hang Christmas lights

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
I have a super steep pitch and no ladder to get up that high. And my wife would laugh super hard if I paid someone to hang Christmas lights

I have one of these bad boys. I highly recommend if you are any sort of handyman.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »
Ok, let's wrap this tutorial up with a few miscellaneous items.

First, the first year you make this investment takes way more time than subsequent years because of all the planning. After that, it's way easier if you make a map of what you did in year 1. This is easy to do. Take a picture of the front of your house, then fade that picture on your computer (increase brightness) so you can easily draw on top of it. Print this out. Next, draw you lines and number them. Place a corresponding tag on your light strings (duct tape works well). Include any other notes (like locating extension cords, etc.) to make it easy to recreate or fix mistakes next year. You will forget.

Next, storage. Don't fold up your lights or otherwise shove them in a bin. For your house lights, get yourself a nice big spool. You can find free, empty spools being discarded at the big box stores - just call around and check with electrical. Then, you can roll up all your lights on the spool and hang it from the top of your garage. Makes storage a breeze and no more tangles!

For your tree lights, roll them up around your hand (not your arm) into tight little balls as you remove them. Believe it or not, they will easily unroll next year. As long as you roll them into tight little coils, you can stack these in a box and they won't get tangled up.

Ok, I think that covers all the basics.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
Wreath on the door. Garland on the porch columns. That's about my limit. I take the Spartan approach to decor.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »

I have one of these bad boys. I highly recommend if you are any sort of handyman.

I have one but I think it only goes about 13ft or so.. high enough for me to reach the gutters at least

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
K-S-U-W, I'm even more confused now. Please just post actually pics of your place. K, thanks.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Stapling the trim around the windows seems like it would be hard on the paint. Do you not have issues with that?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
Stapling the trim around the windows seems like it would be hard on the paint. Do you not have issues with that?

A little. It does leave little holes in the paint. But I just haven't come across a better, less invasive solution to keep the lines straight around windows and doors.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
A couple of assholes in my new hood went WAY overboard on Halloween decorations. I'm afraid to see what crap they roll out for Christmas.

Side note: My idiot neighbor next door has had a tree up for 3 weeks now.

I'm certain I've been less affected by neighbors in any of my relatively small setups than you are there.  Flip that thing and go find a condo.  Or rent it to a family of 6 and rent my old place there for yourselves.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
K-S-U-W, have you ever tried anything like the Lumenplay system I posted earlier?

Any tips for tackling gutter guards?