Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 95120 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #1575 on: March 08, 2024, 01:50:07 PM »
Very cool tech. Still likely going to buy a hybrid until they can give me 5 minute charging and 800 mile range.

We will just have an electric and gas until this happens. The charging isn't a big deal as I just plug in at home. Its a minor annoyance when traveling, but the superchargers are pretty fast. I've only done a couple longer trips that required supercharging and its never been much of an issue. A couple of times it has worked out where the hotel had free charging which absolutely rough ridin' rules.
It’s definitely the right thing for the planet.
that is currently not true

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 08, 2024, 02:14:18 PM »
all the rivian suv's look great.  i love the clearance you get with the r1.  pretty leary of putting money into a new vehicle/company with such low production, but in a couple years i might get comfortable with it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 08, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »
all the rivian suv's look great.  i love the clearance you get with the r1.  pretty leary of putting money into a new vehicle/company with such low production, but in a couple years i might get comfortable with it.

Timing is pretty good for me. 2 years, plus it will prob get delayed, and he said they got over 60k orders the first day for the R2. Worth refundable $100 to see how it goes over the next couple of years. Hopefully they can succeed. Tesla isn't the perfect example, but I remember bankruptcy talk when I was getting mine in 2019.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 08, 2024, 03:21:47 PM »

agree with all this. they keep laying off their employees too

Online passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 08, 2024, 07:54:29 PM »
Rivian R2 just announced for 2026. I might put an order in. 2 more years on my 2019 Tesla and closer to battery warranty. I'll most likely still have very low mileage so who knows if i'll pull the trigger. They look pretty sweet though.

https://rivian.com/r2

The R3 is perfect for me

Yeah me too...it's got a little bit of the Lancia Delta Integrale to it which I always thought was a handsome car.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 18, 2024, 02:53:55 PM »
I listened to a NYT podcast today about how automakers are selling your data.  A specific example is GM/OnStar selling your driving habit data to LexusNexus who in turn sells it to insurance companies but essentially any car that has GPS or a mobile app can be tracked and it's assumed they're all doing it. 

A little over a year ago, two of my buddies who travel almost every week for work were talking about how hard it is to get Uber/Lyft to come out to our area, especially at 4-5 a.m. So, I created an LLC and I started driving them to the airport in my wife's Cadillac before I started my day job. They would swipe their corporate cards to my Square account and I was making over a grand a month by using only about 3 hours of my time a week. It was 3 with my buddies talking sports or whatever.  Gravy.

Then after years with no claims and no speeding tickets, my insurance company dropped me. No reason cited.  It just dawned on me this morning that they probably picked up my driving habits and determined that I was using my car commercially.  Which I was, sort of. 

Oh well, no harm. I was able to get insurance from another carrier for $200 a month less and I'm not longer driving people to the airport.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 18, 2024, 03:49:07 PM »
I listened to a NYT podcast today about how automakers are selling your data.  A specific example is GM/OnStar selling your driving habit data to LexusNexus who in turn sells it to insurance companies but essentially any car that has GPS or a mobile app can be tracked and it's assumed they're all doing it. 

A little over a year ago, two of my buddies who travel almost every week for work were talking about how hard it is to get Uber/Lyft to come out to our area, especially at 4-5 a.m. So, I created an LLC and I started driving them to the airport in my wife's Cadillac before I started my day job. They would swipe their corporate cards to my Square account and I was making over a grand a month by using only about 3 hours of my time a week. It was 3 with my buddies talking sports or whatever.  Gravy.

Then after years with no claims and no speeding tickets, my insurance company dropped me. No reason cited.  It just dawned on me this morning that they probably picked up my driving habits and determined that I was using my car commercially.  Which I was, sort of. 

Oh well, no harm. I was able to get insurance from another carrier for $200 a month less and I'm not longer driving people to the airport.

It probably had more to do with the time you were driving than anything. "Night Driving" is a big part of Tesla and the other insurance apps calculation when determining rates. I drive like 2 miles a day and could probably save a few bucks by getting one of those tracking plans but there is no way I'd ever do it willingly. It really sucks ass that they get the info anyway because we all just allow our info to get sold to the highest bidder.