Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980430 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30275 on: March 16, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
Can you imagine the articles that would be written if the Big 12 had a year like the Pac 12 just had?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30276 on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
Can you imagine the articles that would be written if the Big 12 had a year like the Pac 12 just had?

You're right and I wonder what the difference is.  Is it because the B12 got left out of the initial playoff that we have a chip on our shoulder?  Partly because we've had teams defect already?

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30277 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »

You're right and I wonder what the difference is.  Is it because the B12 got left out of the initial playoff that we have a chip on our shoulder?  Partly because we've had teams defect already?

Predominantly, this is about a national talking point repeated again and again and again and again about Big XII inherent instability and inferiority. Outsiders think we're dysfunctional, insiders, a not insignificant portion at least, adopt the outsider view and participate in their own victimization.

Stay at 10. eff the haters.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30278 on: March 16, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »

It's because of the previous defections & no other conference has had any UP say anything close to multiple comments Boren has made. 

It's fun to make fun of the Pac-12 now, but at the end of the day USC wants to be in a league with UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washinton, & Oregon.  It would take a WAC/MWC type split to break up the Pac-12, but I don't see how that could happen without massive COLUSION to get the Big12 to do the same.

OU and KU could have other options that seem semi-logical enough that they could talk themselves into.  USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford don't.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:54:06 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30279 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
The difference is 100% the "instability" (whether it's actual or just perceived).  But this rams home the idea of "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

If on-the-field results had ANYTHING to do with conference stability, the PAC would be hemorrhaging members after this season.  IMO, the real issue is that fans, ADs, and UPs still have bruised egos from the defections.  why that stigma didn't attach to the ACC after Maryland left?  I do not know.  I assume it's because no one gives a crap about maryland.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30280 on: March 16, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
The difference is 100% the "instability" (whether it's actual or just perceived).  But this rams home the idea of "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

If on-the-field results had ANYTHING to do with conference stability, the PAC would be hemorrhaging members after this season.  IMO, the real issue is that fans, ADs, and UPs still have bruised egos from the defections.  why that stigma didn't attach to the ACC after Maryland left?  I do not know.  I assume it's because no one gives a crap about maryland.

It's because the core of the ACC is UNC & UVA.  They want to run their own league, like they do now.  When Maryland left, the president of UVA or UNC didn't say "we're keeping our options open & we won't be wallflowers in realignment."  Instead they started working on a TV deal to sign through 2035.  The Big12 would be much better off if we'd only lost Mizzou or Colorado then signed a 20-year contract.

Lynn Swan openly said they didn't make te playoff because they weren't a playoff caliber team.  USC knows if they're good enough, they're in.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:17:14 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30281 on: March 16, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »
I think there are a lot of writers that hate the Big 12's model where revenue is not evenly dispersed.  They hate that Texas gets more, for example.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #30283 on: March 20, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/03/19/kragthorpe-after-an-0-3-ncaa-tournament-and-a-1-8-bowl-season-the-pac-12-is-an-embarrassment-the-solution-play-better/

:ksu:

4 – Makol Mawien, a Kansas State forward from Granger High School, is the most prominent Utah left in the tournament. Mawien, who redshirted at Utah in 2015-16 before transferring to a junior college, has averaged 8.0 points and 5.0 rebounds in the Wildcats’ two NCAA wins.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30284 on: March 28, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
jon wilner is a dud.  but i appreciated that article.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30285 on: March 28, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
Like I thought it's been widely known the Pac 12 was well behind the Big 12 in revenue for quite a while since the P12 network hasn't been great financially so it was odd he seemed surprised. The bigger surprise to me was the Pac 12 was outperforming the ACC.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30286 on: March 28, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
yeah, the acc revenue is pretty surprising.  big 12 stuff is great.  granted, we're 6 years away from a renegotiation (and another possibly huge contract), but if the media rights wind is blowing in the direction i think it is, that may be a good thing.  i think the days of obscene paydays are in the past.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30287 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
yeah, the acc revenue is pretty surprising.  big 12 stuff is great.  granted, we're 6 years away from a renegotiation (and another possibly huge contract), but if the media rights wind is blowing in the direction i think it is, that may be a good thing.  i think the days of obscene paydays are in the past.

Personally, I think 6 years is a super long time given the current pace of innovation and changes in audience viewing behavior. 

I am concerned that it will not be as good in 6 years as it was a year or two ago.  I truly hope that I am wrong.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30288 on: March 28, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
I kind of doubt I still really care about this sort of stuff 6 years from now.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30289 on: March 28, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »

I don’t know how old you are, but if you are 6 years younger than me (or more), then I can tell you that my experience tells me that you will care significantly less than you do now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30290 on: March 28, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »

Personally, I think 6 years is a super long time given the current pace of innovation and changes in audience viewing behavior. 

I am concerned that it will not be as good in 6 years as it was a year or two ago.  I truly hope that I am wrong.
Oh I agree.  The reason I'm happy it's 6 years is because I'm probably more bearish than you are on this.  I'm happy that it's 6 years because I think if there's a decent chance that our current deal is better than our next one would be, regardless of whether it's 6 years or 2 years out. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30291 on: March 28, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »
Why does that make you happy?  I was hoping for lucrative deal that helped make OU and UT still love us and want us.  :sad:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30292 on: March 28, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Why does that make you happy?  I was hoping for lucrative deal that helped make OU and UT still love us and want us.  :sad:
it makes me happy because i don't think anyone's next contract is going to be better than what they have now.  in other words, i think the status quo is the best anyone will ever get.  to that end, the longer we maintain the status quo, the better.

btw, my viewpoint on what the next era of contracts will look like could be totally off.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30293 on: March 28, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
Gotcha.  A reasonable approach.  No wondering eyes that way. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30294 on: March 30, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »

Considering this thread is 8 years old, I'm sure you will.

Also the ACC number as it relates to the Pac 12 is very deceiving considering they're a year from their network launching. Unlike the Pac 12, the ACC will have the heft of ESPN behind theirs.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:05:02 AM by Dlew12 »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30296 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
oh man

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30297 on: April 13, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
They are dropping it from Nebraska. :lol:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30298 on: April 13, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
They are dropping it from Nebraska. :lol:

comcast isn't in nebraska

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30299 on: April 14, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/comcast-drops-big-ten-network-in-many-out-of-market-areas.html
 :party:

That's a mistake by Comcast unless they expect their competitors to quickly follow suit. Unlike the Pac 12 Network, the Big 10 Network is carried by all the big national television providers. As the article points out, there are Big 10 fans all over the country and they provide quality programming. If you're a Maryland fan in DC, or a Michigan fan in NYC, you have no choice but to drop Comcast.