Author Topic: Software thread(computer related)  (Read 64079 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Software thread(computer related)
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
This thread is not for me.

but then a gE hero linked Oregon Trail, so now it is!

:cheers:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2015, 11:07:37 PM »
Round 2:
I can't keep anybody but dobber alive. Pretty sad.
I did improve my score to 519! :billdance:

EDIT:!!!!!!

My points were doubled because I went as a carpenter. 1038!  :Woot: SUCK IT BITCHES!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:28:11 PM by slobber »

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2015, 12:37:22 AM »
:frown:

also, greg are you CIS, do i have classes with you  :horrorsurprise:
No but thats what i wanna do when i go to kstate.

eff cis. put on a belt and go ECE  :emawkid:

The Big Train

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:14 AM »

what time tomorrow do you wanna meet at the Ernie Barrett statue?

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:53 AM »

too busy flying out for an interview :gocho:

i have no problem with cis, really. i was a TA for 3 years in an intro course where we had like 80 of them. and like 79 of them would sit there and complain that it wasn't programming.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2015, 12:46:16 AM »
Hadoop
Where did you get that overnight bag?

The Big Train

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2015, 12:47:42 AM »

too busy flying out for an interview :gocho:

i have no problem with cis, really. i was a TA for 3 years in an intro course where we had like 80 of them. and like 79 of them would sit there and complain that it wasn't programming.

I mean, I'm free other times to meet at the EB statue, just name a day and time.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2015, 01:37:24 AM »

Nothing worse than dealing with those ECE grads who take a software engineering job and can't code for crap :users:

The Big Train

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:17 AM »

Nothing worse than dealing with those ECE grads who take a software engineering job and can't code for crap :users:

great hardware can't do crap on its own

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »

sure. there are a few that say i like programming but only want to take 4 courses from CIS and do comp engg, then go somwhere for high level programming and flounder. but really, theres nothing worse than CIS grads who market themselves as software engineering grads from kstate. sorry, we dont have (undergrad) software engineering. its a specialty.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »

sure. there are a few that say i like programming but only want to take 4 courses from CIS and do comp engg, then go somwhere for high level programming and flounder. but really, theres nothing worse than CIS grads who market themselves as software engineering grads from kstate. sorry, we dont have (undergrad) software engineering. its a specialty.
Just curious, what core concepts do you think are lacking from any of the 3 undergraduate degrees offered by the CIS department to qualify a graduate from one of the three in calling themselves a software engineer?

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »

Just curious, what core concepts do you think are lacking from any of the 3 undergraduate degrees offered by the CIS department to qualify a graduate from one of the three in calling themselves a software engineer?

entirely different accredidation processes. Both accredited by abet, but comp sci by CAC and software engg by eac. The term "engineer" brings certain expectations of courses and applications, and is a big word in this context.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »

entirely different accredidation processes. Both accredited by abet, but comp sci by CAC and software engg by eac. The term "engineer" brings certain expectations of courses and applications, and is a big word in this context.
Are any of you in CIS ?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

The Big Train

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
3maw's computer might come down with a nasty virus if he keeps talking crap on CIS :users:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »

The software engineer job title is just a word. Your comparison is like claiming a difference between software developer and software engineer. They are the same thing. The job title usually says engineer but it means nothing.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »

The software engineer job title is just a word. Your comparison is like claiming a difference between software developer and software engineer. They are the same thing. The job title usually says engineer but it means nothing.
Its ok, 3maw is just of a mind of the Dean Robert's mentality that CS majors aren't real engineers.  Its a stigma the department is used to.  Its a fairly groundless accusation, drafting board engineers just get all bent out of shape at the thought of an engineering discipline that doesn't produce anything tangible being considered part of engineering but it just basically shows a lack of understanding/appreciation for the discipline as a whole.  Basically 3maw's the worst kind of people, no big.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:50:35 PM by HerrSonntag »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
well I'm a bbs engineer

The Big Train

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
yep, this isnt engineering(snippet from chess game)

public function inBasicDraw()
    {
        $pieces = $this->getPieceTypes();
        $blackPieces = array_keys($pieces['B']);
        $whitePieces = array_keys($pieces['W']);
        if (count($blackPieces) > 2 || count($whitePieces) > 2) {
            return false;
        } elseif (array_key_exists('B', $pieces['W']) && is_array($pieces['W']['B']) && count($pieces['W']['B']) > 1) {
            return false;
        } elseif (array_key_exists('B', $pieces['B']) && is_array($pieces['B']['B']) && count($pieces['B']['B']) > 1) {
            return false;
        }
        if (count($blackPieces) == 1) {
            if (count($whitePieces) == 1) {
                return true;
            }
            // XXX: The following if/else block appears to be unreachable due to the if/elseif/elseif block above
            if ($whitePieces[0] == 'K') {
                if (in_array($whitePieces[1], array('N', 'B'))) {
                    if (is_array($pieces['W']['N']) && count($pieces['W']['N']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } elseif (is_array($pieces['W']['B']) && count($pieces['W']['B']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } else {
                        return true;
                    }
                } else {
                    return false;
                }
            } else {
                if (in_array($whitePieces[0], array('N', 'B'))) {
                    if (array_key_exists('N', $pieces['W']) && is_array($pieces['W']['N']) && count($pieces['W']['N']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } elseif (array_key_exists('B', $pieces['W']) && is_array($pieces['W']['B']) && count($pieces['W']['B']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } else {
                        return true;
                    }
                } else {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }
        if (count($whitePieces) == 1) {
            if (count($blackPieces) == 1) {
                return true;
            }
            // XXX: The following if/else block appears to be unreachable due to the if/elseif/elseif block above
            if ($blackPieces[0] == 'K') {
                if (in_array($blackPieces[1], array('N', 'B'))) {
                    if (is_array($pieces['B']['N']) && count($pieces['B']['N']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } elseif (is_array($pieces['B']['B']) && count($pieces['B']['B']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } else {
                        return true;
                    }
                } else {
                    return false;
                }
            } else {
                if (in_array($blackPieces[0], array('N', 'B'))) {
                    if (array_key_exists('N', $pieces['B']) && is_array($pieces['B']['N']) && count($pieces['B']['N']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } elseif (array_key_exists('B', $pieces['B']) && is_array($pieces['B']['B']) && count($pieces['B']['B']) > 1) {
                        return false;
                    } else {
                        return true;
                    }
                } else {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }
        $wpIndex = ($whitePieces[0] == 'K') ? 1 : 0;
        $bpIndex = ($blackPieces[0] == 'K') ? 1 : 0;
        if ($whitePieces[$wpIndex] == 'B' && $blackPieces[$bpIndex] == 'B') {
            // bishops of same color?
            if ($pieces['B']['B'][0] == $pieces['W']['B'][0]) {
                return true;
            }
        }
        return false;
    }

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
this can only end in a paystub-off several years from now       (if this blog is still around :ohno:)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
OOHH DAMNNN
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
Goodness you guys are throwing such a fit.
software engineer vs software developer - those are job titles assigned by the company who really can within small limitations give you a huge range of titles that are the same work but vary from company to company . One summer i was a software engineer intern for a company, another summer i was a student programmer.
 Software engineering vs computer science - those are degree programs set by the university and accredited by the appropriate people. I'm not saying CS majors are not worthy of the engineering tag, jesus I'm not a rough ridin' elitist. One of my cs friends got lectured by a company because he put down he was studying software engg, when really he was specializing in it. His employer got curious, called, and was told by the deans office there is no undergrad software engg major at ksu. I guesd this was an issue with their hiring policies. Anyway, he learned the difference then. there are universities who actually have a software Engineering degree program, so they are actually two (very slightly) different things in this context.
also great project. I think I have my chess code from freshman year somewhere.
I'm glad that we are pulling cis majors over into phase 4 with ece because ece needs to learn how to program.
and also, screw tcr. I'll agree with you he was very condescending to the non engineering majors (ATM, CNSM, CIS). No one in the dean's offices and not many of the big wig donors liked him. Even to non consulting interested engineers, he was an ass.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »
software engineer vs software developer - those are job titles assigned by the company who really can within small limitations give you a huge range of titles that are the same work but vary from company to company . One summer i was a software engineer intern for a company, another summer i was a student programmer.
 Software engineering vs computer science - those are degree programs set by the university and accredited by the appropriate people. I'm not saying CS majors are not worthy of the engineering tag, jesus I'm not a rough ridin' elitist. One of my cs friends got lectured by a company because he put down he was studying software engg, when really he was specializing in it. His employer got curious, called, and was told by the deans office there is no undergrad software engg major at ksu. I guesd this was an issue with their hiring policies. Anyway, he learned the difference then. there are universities who actually have a software Engineering degree program, so they are actually two (very slightly) different things in this context.
I'm glad that we are pulling cis majors over into phase 4 with ece because ece needs to learn how to program.
and also, screw tcr. I'll agree with you he was very condescending to the non engineering majors (ATM, CNSM, CIS). No one in the dean's offices and not many of the big wig donors liked him. Even to non consulting interested engineers, he was an ass.

All of your jobs are being outsourced to India.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »

He wouldn't want to work for that jackass company anyway, no recruiter with half a brain would care.

All of your jobs are being outsourced to India.

Not even close.

The Big Train

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
you think I wrote that code  :lol: I would have figured someone with an ece background would understand logic, maybe they need to improve their curriculum, most of the code is unreachable, an engineer would know that

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »
This changed very quickly to a pissing contest where one person doesnt care and the other losers forgot to unzip first. The need for self validating in here is unreal.