Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 365599 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread
« Reply #3700 on: August 15, 2017, 04:19:47 AM »
The books explain the time thing.

Non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
The books don't explain any of this recent globetrotting, because it isn't in the books. Again, you can say we're only seeing snippets of storylines, but the storylines intersect. So unless the Night King is marching on a treadmill, they should already be in Kings Landing or Dorne by the time Jon skips from Winterfell to Dragonstone, then all the damn way back to Eastwatch for this latest dumb quest.

It's a fantasy series, but even fantasy series should obey the rules of the world they create, and one of the rules is that travel is as slow as it was in the real Middle Ages (unless you've got a dragon to ride).  When they repeatedly trash those rules, it just starts to look more and more contrived.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
Do we know where the undead army started walking from? Maybe the Night King had to go really far north to recruit before he turned back south?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: August 15, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »
i would love to watch 4 episodes of them sitting in a boat. :jerk:

question, why do so many not believe in white walkers when there's a gigantic ice wall and the night's watch?

The Wall was built to keep the wildlings from stealing all the good Westeros jobs. #mawa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: August 15, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
The books don't explain any of this recent globetrotting, because it isn't in the books. Again, you can say we're only seeing snippets of storylines, but the storylines intersect. So unless the Night King is marching on a treadmill, they should already be in Kings Landing or Dorne by the time Jon skips from Winterfell to Dragonstone, then all the damn way back to Eastwatch for this latest dumb quest.

It's a fantasy series, but even fantasy series should obey the rules of the world they create, and one of the rules is that travel is as slow as it was in the real Middle Ages (unless you've got a dragon to ride).  When they repeatedly trash those rules, it just starts to look more and more contrived.

What travel rule has been broken?  I personally don't need 3 episodes of Jon riding on a boat to know it took more than 3 seconds to get to eastwatch, maybe your brain just can't handle that.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
http://ew.com/podcasts/2017/08/14/game-of-thrones-eastwatch-podcast/

If Game of Thrones were a videogame, the characters just earned the ability to Fast Travel.

:lol:

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
I think the most logical answer has already been mentioned. The night king cannot cross the wall due to enchantment. So he is letting his army grow and is chilling on the other side of the wall until a) something crazy happens that allows them to break the enchantment (possibly Bran related?) or b) they are waiting for the sea by eastwatch to freeze so they can walk around the wall. It has been stated that winter marches with the night king and the army of the dead.

To that point, the vision that Bran saw in episode 1 with the wight giants is speculated to be after they are on this side of the wall. Many people believe that there might be a psychic battle between Bran and the Night King this season or the next.

I need to go back and rewatch the episode, but I am pretty confident there is a throw away line between Sansa and Arya where they mention that he left Ghost at Winterfell.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
looking at the map, I don't know why in book 1 they didn't just go to eastwatch and sail to kings landing instead of taking the kingsroad.

why did Robert go to winterfell in the first place?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: August 15, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
Getting hung up on the travel thing seems like trying to use minutia to poke holes in a pretty enormous show.  They could've put a few lines of dialogue in to explain the it a bit better but I'm not going to let it ruin it for me.  I was thinking that the Night King maybe waiting for winter weather to push farther south before he attacks the wall.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: August 15, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
Some of you would eff up a wet dream.  :facepalm:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: August 15, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »

To recruit Ned Stark.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

To recruit Ned Stark.

Yup. After his Hand of the King Jon Arryn was assassinated because he was going to tell King Robert that all of his children with Cersei were in fact incest babies with Jaimie. We found out in Season 4 that it was actually Jon's wife Lys who did it to gain favor with Littlefinger.

Robert thought Ned would be a great hand and I think also made used the trip because he wanted to marry his eldest son off to Ned's eldest daughter. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
Not to quibble (but I guess, yes, to quibble), you all are making excuses for a weak plot contrivance. If Jon has all this time to traipse all over Westeros because the Night King is just sitting around waiting, why does every shot we see of the Undead Army show them marching?

The Night King and Bran's storylines intersect at the Cave of the 3ER. Bran's storyline intersects with Sansa's storyline at Winterfell. Sansa's storyline intersects with Jon's at Winterfell. So this means the Night King is not only moving so slowly that he hasn't reached the Wall by the time Meera/Benjen towed Bran on a sled all the way to the Wall and then on down to Winterfell, but the Night King is still marching to the Wall by the time Jon spends months sailing from Dragonstone all the way up to Eastwatch.

You avoid this problem by doing something at least plausible, like the Night King attacking Eastwatch as Jon is still on Dragonstone or en route back to Winterfell.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:49:43 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
That's because you assume the dead dudes are marching straight to the wall and you have no evidence of that. They are clearly waiting for something

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: August 15, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
Do we know where the undead army started walking from? Maybe the Night King had to go really far north to recruit before he turned back south?

There were no giant wights at Hardhome (that we know of) so that seems very feasible.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
That's because you assume the dead dudes are marching straight to the wall and you have no evidence of that. They are clearly waiting for something

This. Your outrage is premised on a detail you just made up. Give it a rest already.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: August 15, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
Can someone do some kind of analysis on that raven's flight path (the one Bran was warged into in the last episode) to see how far away the Night's King is now?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: August 15, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »
Can someone do some kind of analysis on that raven's flight path (the one Bran was warged into in the last episode) to see how far away the Night's King is now?

Top is from next episode preview

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: August 15, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
So the next episode is going to take place in the place that the Night King the first white walker was created....But where is that?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:19:25 PM by Mrs. Gooch »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: August 15, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »

Gotcha, they're not marching. More like meandering.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
I like the thought of the Knight King on a treadmill.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 15, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

Gotcha, they're not marching. More like meandering.

Maybe the Night King is personally collecting troops, marching them to the wall, and then going and collecting more troops and marching them to the wall. Over and over and over again.....

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 15, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
Not to quibble (but I guess, yes, to quibble), you all are making excuses for a weak plot contrivance.

100% this is what we're doing.  Also, we're probably enjoying the show a lot more.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 15, 2017, 03:49:54 PM »

That was one thing that made my eyes roll. He can warg into any creature anywhere so why the hell did he randomly pick a flock of ravens that far away when there's probably some wolf or mouse or gull or something right next/above the Night King. Obvs for scenic cutscene and stuff but yeah. Also, those ravens were flying fast as crap and higher than RL ones would.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 15, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
I assumed they were moving slow because the water was freezing from north to south and it was freezing at a slow pace.   :impatient:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.